Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building a new pit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building a new pit

Hi all,

I've been wanting to build a backyard size pit for a long time. I've been going back and forth on it for almost 2 years, but I've decided to go ahead and do it. That itch needed to be scratched. Also I've learnt a lot during the years, my welding skills and metal working skills have improved greatly, and I have a few new professional level tools that make things easier.

All in all it's gonna be a 'straight' flow smoker, I call it a fat stack smoker. There will be two slideout shelves. I'm building it using 5 mm steel. The smoke stack can be easily removed, and I will have it chromed. It 'sits' on another 3 inch tall pipe, and is attached with two bolts, one on each side (I welded a nut on the inside pipe). Except for the smokestack rest is gonna be rusty, just like my big old smoker Rude Boy.

Shelf size/capacity: Ive made sure to get the spacing right (vertically) so I can fit briskets on both shelves. Each shelf measures 18 x 34 inches (45 x 85 cm). I can't remember off the top of my head now, but I'm pretty sure there's at least 6 inches of clearance for each shelf.

I've been adamant about building a rock solid, super sturdy smoker that's gonna last a lifetime. At the same time I'm trying to simplify construction so it can be built relatively fast. That means this will be a "no offset offset smoker", i.e. the fold chamber and firebox will be one and the same cylinder. I'll show you later how it will work.

Currently I'm waiting for the main pipe/cylinder to be delivered, it's being shipped by truck from the west coast of Sweden. So for now I can't do much more in terms of building.

Here are some photos of the build so far, it hasn't taken more than one (long) day in total to get this done.

Here are the shelf racks (to the left is the smoke stack)

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoker-1.jpg Views:	0 Size:	372.6 KB ID:	878808

The legs/stand (in progress)

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoker-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	424.7 KB ID:	878810

The legs with shelf completed, and the top of the legs slanted for the cylinder (will straighten the two in the back)

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoker-3.jpg Views:	0 Size:	430.1 KB ID:	878811

The manifold located on the outside to conserve space on the inside

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoker-4.jpg Views:	0 Size:	490.4 KB ID:	878809

The shelf system completed

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoker-5.jpg Views:	0 Size:	601.6 KB ID:	878812

Oh yeah, one more thing. I made the left two legs 10 mm shorter so the entire smoker 'leans' to the left. This is so the grease will run towards the grease drain hole. Such a small angle won't be seen when you look at the smoker, but it will help with grease moving in the right direction.

As soon as I get the main pipe delivered (might take 2-3 weeks), I'll report how it goes with the build. Stay tuned!

PS that Bosch saw you see on the floor is worth its weight in gold. Everything goes way faster, and the angles are just perfect every time. And a lot less dust and mess than using the steel grinder. Couldn't be happier. DS

Last edited by Henrik; July 11, 2020, 09:16 AM.

Looking good already! I can't wait to see what your plan is for the "no-offset" design. I like your shelf system. It reminds me a bit of what I built for my COS mod. What's the diameter of your main pipe going to be?

Comment

"it will help with grease moving in the right direction." Wait! you said the "left" legs were shorter. Like to watch your builds!

Comment

• FireMan
        FireMan commented
        Editing a comment
        Yeah, if everything is on the level. 🕶

When I read the first few lines I thought you were doing the cement block pit then I saw the welding part.
      Keep us in the loop.

Comment

The manifold is sexy.

Comment

I've modeled it very loosely off of the LSG 20x36" smoker (in terms of shelves and capacity). I figure this should be as close as possible to a commercial smoker.

The main pipe is 50 cm in diameter, which translates into 20 inches for those of you that haven't seen the metric light yet ;-)

For the last few weeks I've been throwing ideas back and forth with Ahumadora, it's great fun getting construction feedback from another very experienced pit builder. Much appreciated. But I'm putting my design thinking in it too, as I will put my name on it in the end. Laser cut stainess steel 'brand' plates with logo already on the way to my house.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            I did note th Ahumadoran influences in summa yer design features, above...'
            We's lucky to have such a member among us, I think he's taught us all a lot bout pit design...
            Ahumadora

Yep. Been showing hank how I do a few things different to other pit builders to save time and money.
          Attached Files

Comment

Wow!!! I wish I had the skills you guys do. Alas, I am not mechanically inclined.

Comment

Looking really good so far Henrik.
              I wonder who else you got input from.

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                The one and only Steve! Much appreciated!

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                Henrik. 😂😂😂

Lookin' forward to more.

Comment

More sleepless nites I see !!! 🤣😂🤣👍👍👍

Comment

That’s awesome. Someday I hope to have a skill 😎. God I hope I can go to Sweden someday. And Norway too. I love driving around the countryside on google earth. But that ain’t good enough.

Comment

That is pretty cool, Hank! I’ve learned some how to use tools and build some things from a very good friend of mine. Perhaps in the future I tackle some things like this with him. I know he has a welder and we have discussed building a few things. But I admire you and the others that have this skill set and put it to good use!

thanks for sharing! Can’t wait to see how it turns out.

Comment

Fun thread Henrik ! We're all watching your journey.

Comment

Man you guys have a skill set I never learned. Looking forward to seeing the finished product!

Comment

• Donw
                          Donw commented
                          Editing a comment
                          But you design and keep the power going to all the tools they need. That is a skill set worth having.👍🏻

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here