Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Bought new smoker and have some questions on configuration

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bought new smoker and have some questions on configuration

Hello,

Just joined the site. I always wanted a stick burner and could not help myself when I saw this one for sale primarily because it was set on a chevy 55 step side bed. I have cooked on it a couple of times and am having issues keeping the temperature up and then holding the temp for what I would view as a reasonable time. I have uploaded a couple of pictures. It has a rear firebox and a number of pipes going from the firebox to the cook chamber. As the pictures show there are several that that go into the middle to upper part of the cook chamber and then 2 that come underneath the cook chamber. I am confused as to what purpose the vertical pipe coming off the firebox serves. I am also confused as to a third pipe that comes off of the fire box under the cook chamber (not it in) and has a pvc pipe that appears to have the ability to act as drain but have no idea what it would drain. Lastly, in the firebox there is a ridge in the middle that I put grates to hold the coals/wood to allow air under but am wondering if that is the right way to use the ridge or if it would be better just to cross stack the wood without the grates. I will say the temp in the cook chamber is consistent on both sides in the middle to front and much higher in the back on both sides of the chamber. Appreciate any help. Thanks
    Attached Files
    Last edited by WooPig; June 28, 2020, 11:13 AM.

WOW, that is one heck of a smoker!

Comment

I had a dream once of something that looked like that chasing me!!!
      Last edited by pknj; June 28, 2020, 11:42 AM.

Comment

That’s some serious iron....
        Sorry can’t help with set up will leave that to the more learned but that is impressive

Comment

That might be the coolest smoker on the Pit.

Comment

I would guess that's a fuel hog with that "pipe organ" arrangement acting like a heat sink/radiator. I have no idea either what all the plumbing means other than it's at least a great conversation piece.

Comment

• Ahumadora
              Ahumadora commented
              Editing a comment
              +1

The two under look to be for intake. Not exactly how I would set it up though. Your grate is fine as long as it is not getting clogged, starving the fire for air. That configuration does not seem very efficient. That combined with the large thermal mass, I'm betting it takes a bigger fire than normal given its capacity to get up to temp.

Comment

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Agreed some kind of rudely constructed damper set up
              My have to make some plumbing changes
              Looking forward to what Ahumadora has to say

Nice snag, I hope th best fer ya...
            Onliest way yer gonna figger out where its' hot spots, etc. is, is do yerself up some cooks on it...
            Make sure an take/post pics here...
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 28, 2020, 05:31 PM. Reason: ficksed yet more stoopif tipoes...;-)

Comment

I am too busy at the moment but will chime in later....

Comment

Are you sure that wasn't a boiler from the basement of an old building?

Comment

Looks almost like headers on it.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                    Mr. Bones commented
                    Editing a comment
                    That's what I was seein, as well, Brothers...
                    Reckon I might be a Terminal Gearhead....

• hoovarmin
                    hoovarmin commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Damn, you beat me to it

• SonOfAButcher
                    SonOfAButcher commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I can offer absolutely no help, but it sure looks like it can do zero to sixty in about 5.5...

Definitely a cool looking smoker....but it also looks like it isn't very efficient.

But looks count for a lot 😎🤠

I'm very curious if that smoke stack thing is functional?
                  Last edited by Loren; June 28, 2020, 02:44 PM.

Comment

I do believe Herman Munster built that rig.
                    Unfortunately he wasn’t the sharpest tool in the shed. 😬

Comment

• Duckman_OK
                      Duckman_OK commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I think it was designed by Yogi Berra and built by Rube Goldberg

That's crazy!
                    Thanks for sharing. Welcome to The Pit.

Wps

Comment

Ok I don't mean to be rude but I think you should use my favourite tool (9" Grinder with cuttoff disc) and take to it.

Just cause someone had a wet dream and built a smoker based on that doesn't mean it is going to work.

Chop off those header pipes and mount the firebox like a standard offset. It will never work correctly with those tubes. You will burn through a lot of wood and have nasty acrid smoke. (Too much friction/ restriction in those header tubes) You want 1 large opening. As for the plate they mounted on the top of the firebox door it is to stop flames coming out when it is open. This is cause those funky header tubes don't work! No idea what the hump in the bottom of the firebox is. Good thing is the firebox looks about the right size and solid.
                      Last edited by Ahumadora; June 29, 2020, 03:44 AM.

Comment

• ItsAllGoneToTheDogs
                        ItsAllGoneToTheDogs commented
                        Editing a comment
                        I would say that once the firebox is remounted to a location that works, you could tack weld back on pipes (non-functioning of course) to restore the aesthetics if that's your thing.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here