Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Infiernillo e Chapa

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Infiernillo e Chapa

Disclaimer: I don't know many words of Spanish, but wanted a Spanish title :-) Anyhow, let's get to the point. I'm a big fan of live fire cooking, and Francis Mallmann is an inspiration. I've previously built a Parrilla, and now it was time to build:

1. An Infiernillo,
    2. A Chapa

I figured I could kill two birds with one stone. A Chapa is basically a griddle where you use wood underneath it for fuel. Typically cast iron.

An Infiernillo translates to "little hell" (Infiernillo is the diminutive form of Inferno). Here we're are cooking with two fires: one underneath and one above. Here's a short video (3 mins) with Ed Lee and Francis Mallmann where you can see it in action:

Anyhow, I fabricated two 'tables', so I can use the lower one as a standalone Chapa, and then place them on top of another to form an Infiernillo. I have also bought 60 lbs of sea salt.

My Infiernillo measures 40x50 cm (16" x 20"). The taller legs measure 40 cm (16"), and the shorter legs measure 23 cm (9"). I didn't want to build a huge one since we're only two people.

I really look forward to cooking on it. I made it out of 4 mm steel (5/32"), which is very sturdy. I also welded cross beams underneath to avoid warping it with high heat.

What do you all think? Am I onto something?

All pieces measured and cut

Click image for larger version

Name:	Legs.jpg
Views:	381
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	856827

The griddles

Name:	Plates.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	177.1 KB
ID:	856825

Welding support to avoid warping

Name:	Crossbeams.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	147.4 KB
ID:	856828

Welding legs in place

Name:	Weld.jpg
Views:	372
Size:	120.8 KB
ID:	856826

The Chapa (I have a standalone 'bottom' tray made from stainless steel)

Name:	Chapa.jpg
Views:	396
Size:	259.0 KB
ID:	856830

The Infiernillo

Name:	Infiernillo.jpg
Views:	371
Size:	332.4 KB
ID:	856829

The difference in height is due to the heat. Heat rises naturally from the bottom fire, so the middle shelf is gonna get plenty hot. That is why it is located further up. The heat from the top fire is gonna be 'gentler', as there's more of a resistance for getting the heat to radiate down.

In the photo it actually looks taller than it is, I measured so I can just barely get a chicken or a leg of lamb baked in sea salt on the middle shelf. Either way, if I need to I'll just cut off a few inches to shorten it.

We'll see when I give it a test run! Excited!

Very nicely done Henrik. Those will come in handy for some of your cooks. I have seen both in use on TV before..

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, really looking forward to the first cook this weekend.

As someone who doesn't have a handy bone in his body I am always in awe of those who can do this type of thing. Awesome job my friend. Really impressed!

Comment

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Iโ€™ve expressed the same over the years.

• PBCDad
      PBCDad commented
      Editing a comment
      Henrik how do you get all the legs exact? If I tried anything like that it would be wobbling all over the place

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I just measure and cut them. If thereโ€™s a small diff anyway, I just grind a little. That part is relatively easy ๐Ÿ˜„

Great job Henrik, but the cheap side of me wonders if you can reuse all that salt...

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Iโ€™m willing to try it on the edge/rim of my margarita glass ๐Ÿ˜„

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      It would add flavour to a Bloody Mary or a Caesar.
      Henrik great work as usual, your going to have to buy more land to store all your smokers soon.

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      More land, yup, tell me about it ๐Ÿ˜„

After The Pit, I went to youtube and saw your next build just by coincidence:

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Wow, that was overly complex! Fun fabrication, and fun to watch, but over-engineered ๐Ÿ˜„

• FireMan
      FireMan commented
      Editing a comment
      Killer!

• RonB
      RonB commented
      Editing a comment
      Henrik - I agree that it's overly complex and yet it appears that he only has control over movement of one axis of the cookin' grate.

Henrik. Youโ€™re a maniac ๐Ÿ˜ A very talented maniac. ๐Ÿ˜
    Awesome looking build my friend. ๐Ÿ‘Š๐Ÿ‘Š

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks! I lilโ€™ crazy never hurt no one ๐Ÿ‘Š

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      True dat Henrik. ๐Ÿคช๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

I am a huge fan of FM also. I canโ€™t wait to see your cook. I canโ€™t do what you do & donโ€™t live in confines which would allow it anyways. You are the next & best thing. Cook & build on!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      You betcha!

Very interesting. Looking forward to the cook.

Comment

Wow. You never cease to amaze me.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        รฐลธโ„ขย ๐Ÿ‘

I'm decent with wood, but learning to weld is definitely on the list for when we can gather in places again...

Comment

Nice fab.
        looks like a sweet method of cooking
        U must have many sleepless nites !!!!! LOL ๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚๐Ÿ˜‚

Comment

Compliments to the fabricator and chef. Once again fine job Sir.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you!

MCS is the mother of invention!

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            So true

I thought I wanted to move to Texas to be near Troutman. Now Sweden is looking better and better.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol!

Name:	14B8E1F2-8CAE-40D4-8296-0B72C90508F2.jpeg
Views:	320
Size:	344.4 KB
ID:	857775

Did a dry run today. Dry runs are so helpful! Will shorten the legs all around, too much spacing. But things are looking good! Will report back after first cook.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here