Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Heat shield for behind grill?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heat shield for behind grill?

Click image for larger version

Name:	20191014_135732.jpg
Views:	27113
Size:	101.5 KB
ID:	758861

I need some sort of attractive heat shield for behind my new grill. I didn't realize flames would shoot out the back under the right conditions.

Elvis

Comment

I think I would go with a piece of slate. I bet it gets plenty hot behind that thing when it’s cooking. There are a lot of BTUs at work.

Slate is durable and it stands up well in hot or cold conditions. And it looks good, but I’m no exterior decorator.

Comment

• tbob4
        tbob4 commented
        Editing a comment
        I was going to suggest a metal flashing that you could bend and paint with heat paint. However, I like the slate idea better. The flashing, while redirecting flames, could get pretty hot.

a piece of ss sheet would work. Get a piece large enough to hang from the horizontal 2X4 above the grill. Drill two holes to hang it from the 2X4 so you can remove it for easy cleaning. And it will match your grill.

Comment

Whatever you decide on, consider leaving a 1 inch airspace between your heat shield and the combustible wall to prevent conducted heat that can degrade the organics over time. That's the fireman AND the contractor in me talking.

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I was gonna tag you in this post. I knew you would know this one. Thanks Capt.!

• tbob4
          tbob4 commented
          Editing a comment
          This is advice to listen to.

• Dadof3Illinois
          Dadof3Illinois commented
          Editing a comment
          He could actually put some fire retardant material between the supporting 2x4 and the bottom of the table top, filling that void. Then screw s thin stainless sheet from the top of the 2x4 to the table top?

whatever you choose I think standing it off a bit and leaving an air gap is the most important attribute to add to your solution.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Couldn't have said it better myself

I’d go with some stainless sheet metal. I think it’d look nice. What conditions cause flames to shoot out the back?

Comment

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          Grilling fatty pork chops will result in flames licking the fence.

I saw a post on here (I think) recently where someone has the stainless peg board stuff in their garage for hanging cast iron and such. It's not sexy, but if you placed a few pieces to fill up the entire area stud to stud it would be attractively functional and provide the needed air gap for safety.

Comment

I'm should have mentioned I'm thinking the lower cabinets will probably be stucco.

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Over metal studs would be nice too. That's how I did this same application at a previous home.

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            I'm going to frame the bottom cabinets with wood but I'll use cement board to sheath all around under the grill and install vents as well.
            Last edited by Attjack; October 20, 2019, 09:25 PM.

• Oak Smoke
            Oak Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Cement board is what we used to shield the wall from the heat of the wood burning stove I installed in my shop. It works very well.

In NC the stand off is one inch from any burnables. Then an additional 4-6 inches from the shield. There should be a 1 foot shield from any burning area. So if your grill is 2 x 3 the shield should be 3 x 4.

Comment

I have used cement board/Hardy board/Durock/Wonderboard and they come in 3'x5' sheets. They are just not pretty. Could cover with SS. If it is too close though, the high heat makes is smell.

Comment

I recommend removing the TV from there as well, lol. It is a great setup. Your grill is really cool, sometimes when I'm alone, and I want to eat grilled food. I don't wanna turn on the big boy grill for just me, and I have bought a smaller one from Amazon just for those occasions. It is quite good, food is tasty if you make it the right way, but we all have different preferences, that's normal. The Weirdest thing is that my wife hates grilled food, she tells me to never do it in the house, that's why she has no idea about my small grill, she can't know the things I do when she's away.
              Last edited by kongstrong; January 10, 2021, 08:03 PM.

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                Why is that?

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Welcome to The Pit.

May I suggest an internet search for heat shield pannels?

Comment

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                I have a large sheet of stainless steel that I'm going to use with standoffs.

• bbqLuv
                bbqLuv commented
                Editing a comment
                Sounds good,
                Enjoy a PBR when the project is complete. 😊

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here