Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offset smoker trailer refurbish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I see you've used a little redneck engineering to support the rear end of your trailer. Will adding the firebox make it too rear end heavy, or do you still have enough forward moving distance to overcome it? Will you have to add weight to the front end to bring it into balance?

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I’ve had the smoker on the trailer before, with good balance, so I’m confident it’s gonna work now too. But I can adjust now if I have to.

Cool build. I don't think my family is big enough to justify a smoker that size.

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      We’re just two in my family. I think everyone deserves at least a 500 gallon smoker ;-)

• Black99vette
      Black99vette commented
      Editing a comment
      I have never cooked for a large group before, but I'd love to try.

You are always doing such interesting things. I am looking forward to this one!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks Rob!

Looking good Henrik!

Comment

• IowaGirl
      IowaGirl commented
      Editing a comment
      Both!

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      Lol!

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Trailer? What trailer? 😃

So, here's a little update. I managed to find time for some welding this weekend, so I finished the trailer. On Saturday I spent most time getting the firebox in place. It is HEAVY, so it took a while. But I used scrap wood (solid heavy duty planks) to lift it up a little at a time, by using a crow bar and some freight pallets. Lifting it up in one end, sliding a board underneath, then repeat at the other end. I kept doing so until it was propped up at the correct height. That probably took a little over an hour.

Once that was done I pushed/moved the trailer around, and 'backed it into' the firebox, so the firebox ended up in its final location in the 'fork' part of the frame. A little more adjusting and tweaking, and 30 minutes later I had them both where I wanted them. So it was time to weld that sucker tight to the frame. I did, it took a while, but turned out real good. I sprayed some rust primer on the welds. These won't be visible anyway, once I get the wooden floor in place.

Today I put the final piece back together, that is the registration plate/red light 'bumper'. I had done plenty of work cutting and fitting it before, so mounting it (welding) today was easy. Overall I'm happy with how the build is progressing. Everything is according to plan. I just wish I had more time so I could finish it sooner.

Next up is to build a wooden floor, as well as put the bells and whistles in place. Will keep you updated.

Compared to how it was mounted before I have (as mentioned earlier) lowered it by 6 inches, but also moved it forward (on the trailer) by as much. It distributes the weight better. But then my grease drain ended up being located so close to the first 'beam' in the frame that I welded a small piece of sheet metal to my grease drain to guide the grease forward 1/2 inch, so the grease ends up on the ground and not on the frame :-)

The trailer is actually restored to its exact size, with all lights n stuff exactly where it was before, but the frame is much better/stronger, and I no longer have the side walls. This is gonna look like a real offset smoker trailer soon!

Click image for larger version

Name:	customsmoker_50.jpg
Views:	421
Size:	213.7 KB
ID:	793418

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      Thinking out loud you may be better with diamond aluminum deck plating, that's what I call it anyway.
      Probably lighter and easier to clean.

This. Available in aluminum, steel or Stainless steel
    Better option in my humble opinion
    Attached Files

Comment

Yep, thanks for the suggestion! I have seriously considered it, it is def more practical. But, in this case I’m more interested in looks/styling, so I’m going with wood. I’m gonna apply layers of clear coat though, so it should be ok.

Comment

• smokin fool
        smokin fool commented
        Editing a comment
        10-4
        I seem to recall you wanted a vintage look and this wouldn't be vintage.

Lookin good Henrik May want to consider just putting linseed oil on the deck and call it a day

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, that sounds like a good idea. Will look better than clear coat.

Lookin real good Henrik.

Comment

I did a little more work today. I said I'm going old school with this one, and I meant it

Mounted rope and pulleys to act as a counterweight for the doors. At the other end is sand filled burlap bags. I think it looks cool, and it will match the wooden floor I'm gonna build. Will visit the wood shop tomorrow to see what size wood boards are available.

Name:	IMG_5939.JPG
Views:	343
Size:	206.6 KB
ID:	798058

Name:	IMG_5940.JPG
Views:	352
Size:	224.6 KB
ID:	798057

What do y'all think?

Comment

• texastweeter
          texastweeter commented
          Editing a comment
          have a way to remove and store the sand bags and rope when traveling, so the don't turn into wrecking balls. BTW, depending on the weight of your doors, lead shot may be a better option than sand.

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Good point texastweeter, I thought the same. They're gonna be easily removable when on the road.

• N227GB
          N227GB commented
          Editing a comment
          The logo on the sign looks familiar... one of the containers of rub in my cupboard.

Looks pretty cool. My only concern is will the ropes be in contact with the cooker possibly causing them to burn. ??

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          Also a good point. But this smoker is fully insulated, I can place my hand on it, and the ropes will be just a bit tighter when I hang the weights, so should be all good.

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          That's right I forgot you did that double walled thingy. Than no worries.

Very unique and awesome build! Enjoying following along on this one!

Comment

I finally got around to fabricating fenders for the wheels. I wanted something that matches the rest of the trailer/smoker combo. I did these completely by hand. I don't even have a pipe bender or anything. I just have a welder and a steel grinder, but you can get pretty far with that too.

Name:	IMG_4261.JPG
Views:	303
Size:	193.2 KB
ID:	811129

I ordered a pair of baby moon hub caps from the US of A, which will get me that old school look I'm after.

Name:	IMG_5530.JPG
Views:	289
Size:	108.3 KB
ID:	811130

The build is progressing nicely, I did some prep work for the final two stages of the build:
          1. Some details for the fire box door assembly. Will do an interesting take on the opening/closing of the door
          2. Some flat iron so that I can fasten the oak wood planks that will form a floor on the trailer.

I'll keep ya posted. Will do a full YouTube video also when it is complete.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice work Henrik. Those fenders are gonna look great on that trailer.

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            Haven't seen baby moons in a loooong time. Very retro.

• Skip
            Skip commented
            Editing a comment
            Great job on those Fenders Henrik .

Very cool project. It's all looking great. Do you have a background in welding?

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            I have a background in a garage (or a few), my family seems to mechanically inclined. But the welding is self taught. Man, I’ve laid down quite a few seams before upping my game. Still learning, no longer feel like a complete noob.

So, I have finally finished the project. Here are a few photos, doing a YouTube video that I will publish on Friday (hopefully). Overall I'm really happy with the improvement. It looks a lot better, the working height is perfect now, and I like the improved looks. Added a solid oak floor and covered it in a thick layer of clear coat. The handles for the doors were thickened to feel better (I have big hands), I took two oak log splits and drilled a hole all the way through. I also had to learn how to splice rope for the counterweights for the doors. I fabricated a new firebox door, this time with a left and right half, instead of one large door. Also mounted baby moon hub caps to improve the look of the rims. Time to fire that smoker up!

Nice and shiny new 'floor'

Name:	smoker-1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	287.7 KB
ID:	819289

Shot from the behind, counter weights still missing

Name:	smoker-2.jpg
Views:	220
Size:	302.2 KB
ID:	819292

Here's Rude Boy

Name:	smoker-3.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	250.1 KB
ID:	819291

The firebox doors

Name:	smoker-4.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	318.6 KB
ID:	819290

As you can see I cut off some old stuff, like handles no longer needed et.c. Looking forward to when the fenders become as rusty as the rest, so the looks match better :-)

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here