Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Offset smoker trailer refurbish

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You get that thing all purdy & shined up & rollin with mebbee, just mebbee a touch of paint, you might have to change the name or augment a touch. Keep it comin Henrik!

Comment

This is going to be a fun topic to follow. Press on, Henrik !

Kathryn

Comment

Lovin' every minute of it!

Comment

"Help me!" "I've fallen into a ditch and I can't get out!" rudeboy

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol!

Nice project there- must follow!

Comment

Yea old Rudeboy looks like a beached whale turned on his side. Get's some wheels under him !!!

Last edited by Troutman; October 14, 2019, 10:51 AM.

Comment

RUDE BOY gettin' new legs?

I know you said that you are not going to reveal everything now, but.......are you going to be re doing the trailer as well? New shoes on it? New side rails? Maybe a side charcoal grill? Endless possibilities.

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              I will spend 80% of the time rebuilding the trailer, and 20% styling up the smoker to match. Started looking at new wheels with purdy rims online already.

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Looking forward to what you come up with! Henrik

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              bag it so you can lower it for ease of use, lol!

I heard rumor that Henrik had to cut down an entire Norwegian wood to fire up Rude Boy just to cook a pork chop !! Save the planet man

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Norwegian wood - now that sounds like an adult movie to me ;-) ;-)

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              With a strapping young lad. 😳🤣🤣

• texastweeter
              texastweeter commented
              Editing a comment
              the sequel called "Swedish Meatballs"?

Alright, time for a quick update. I haven't been able to do much because of work/travel, which is very frustrating. But at least I've done all the 'tearing down' I need, so now the rebuild is starting. Good times! I have fabricated a few things that I'm not gonna show yet, and I'm not gonna mount it on the smoker either to keep weight down. After all I'm going to pull it back up on the trailer myself, so every pound I can save is important. I'll weld that stuff back on when the smoker is permanently welded to the trailer.

Either way, here you can see me cutting down the trailer. And I have started rebuilding it by mounting rectangle bars, effectively rebuilding the frame. I'm gonna paint it too, so it doesn't rust.

The trailer, getting chopped up (first new frame piece being mounted in the front left corner)

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer-7.jpg
Views:	399
Size:	304.1 KB
ID:	766798

The trailer, completely clean

Name:	trailer-10.jpg
Views:	432
Size:	306.2 KB
ID:	766796

Here's the firebox scaffold that I fabricated.

Name:	trailer-12.jpg
Views:	394
Size:	304.5 KB
ID:	766797

The plan is to slide the firebox in between those "forks" and weld it in place. It's gonna be suspended mid-air, so it will protrude 4 inches down. But first I'm gonna pull/slide the food chamber onto the trailer and weld that in place. I figure I can tip the trailer backwards so it effectively becomes a slide. That should help with getting the food chamber/fire box up there.

If the egyptians could build the pyramids, so can I get my smoker on that trailer

I'll get back to you with some more fun photos later. Time to order some sturdy floor wood planks, I'm gonna style the 'floor' like a 1930's hay barn.

Comment

Damn this really starts to look like something..
              Paint it in camo and set up a bbq joint to sell to the army/navy everytime they chase russian sub's outside Stockholm coastline.. 😎

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Ha ha! Then I’m gonna be busy, with these clowns manning the radar!

Alright, I have finally found some time to work. The trailer is now done. Cutting/welding/painting, the frame is complete and welded to the trailer.

Next step is to haul the smoker back up on the trailer. It’s gonna be a challenge. I’m thinking to use my car and tow it up. We’ll see.

Name:	CD1A9295-47B1-4A0A-B039-806EAA2E2668.jpeg
Views:	364
Size:	232.3 KB
ID:	784322

Comment

• Troutman
                Troutman commented
                Editing a comment
                Find 10 friends and offer them bbq

Cleo and I will come over with my skid steer and lift it for you, easy peasy. Lemme know....

Name:	DSC_0021 800.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	111.7 KB
ID:	784407

Comment

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                You're 100% right, Henrik. My 3 dogs won't go through a doorway if Cleo or my other girl cat is sitting in the way. It's pretty funny.

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                She's sorta got that....if I can do away these people, I'm in charge....look.
                Then, onto the mice.

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                make sure she hasn't gotten into the catnip for at least 8 hours prior.

Use some old posts and you should be able to prise one end of it up enough to place posts close to the point of balance Try to get one end high as posible, then back the trailer as far under as you can. Place a steel pipe between the trailer and tank to act as a roller. Use a cumalong or loadbinder conected to the hitch to pull it onto the trailer.

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                A cherry picker/engine hoist is a multitasker

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup. I plan om tipping the trailer back, and use an old slippery wood board as a slider to pull the smoker onto the trailer.

So I managed to get the smoker up today. It went easier than I thought. It’s gonna slide fwd another 4 inches, and then I’m gonna get the firebox in place. That will be easier, I’ll just back up the trailer so it slides in between the ‘forks’ that I welded as part of the frame.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2B416E83-C997-4E0B-835D-767D041E3F90.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	6.81 MB ID:	785127

The nice thing now is the work height is much better since I shortened the legs 6 inches. Good to see.

Click image for larger version  Name:	50ADA0C5-F322-4C0A-A3D9-673789F3D9CD.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	1.71 MB ID:	785126

Last edited by Henrik; December 30, 2019, 03:45 PM.

Comment

• IowaGirl
                IowaGirl commented
                Editing a comment
                Dang. I'll haveta tell Cleo our Swedish gig has been canceled.

Seriously -- I'm glad it went smoothly. Looks good, Henrik.

• Sweaty Paul
                Sweaty Paul commented
                Editing a comment
                Looks awesome

I was cringing when I clicked on the post today, hoping it wasn't your wife posting a pic of you squashed under rude boy. After the firebox is mounted and all the grates in just slide it back and forth on the chassis until you get the balance correct.

Comment

• smokin fool
                smokin fool commented
                Editing a comment
                Agreed.
                And don't forget to consider the tongue weight while looking for the balance.
                That's a nice job for a one man act.
                She'll look good with a 245/40/19 rim and tire combo.

• RonB
                RonB commented
                Editing a comment
                Getting squashed would have been - well - really rude.

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Yup, now it slides easy. Will tweak the position and then weld it.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here