Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Suggestion for offset smoker trailer 'pimping'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Suggestion for offset smoker trailer 'pimping'

I have a relatively large offset smoker. I have mounted it on a trailer. The strict regulations in Sweden require me to have all the lights (blinkers, brake lights, license plate et.c.) on the trailer. If I want to drive any trailer faster than 30 km/h (18.5 m/h) it must also have brakes and suspension. So, I bought an existing trailer off of Craig's list.

But ever since I got it I have wanted to chop it up and rebuild it like a real smoker trailer. Think of the trailer mounted Jambo pits, for example. Or any custom built offset smoker on a custom built trailer. I want my trailer to look like that, instead of the very grey, unsexy version I have now.

So, esteemed members of the pit, what do YOU think I should do? I'm plannin to keep it simple, but here's the rough outline:

1. Get the grinder out and trim off the surrounding 'walls', plus fenders.
    2. Strip that rotten old wooden board that serves as a floor
    3. Weld the smoker permanently to the trailer.
    4. Put some kind of floor in place. That could be expanded metal, or treadplate (I think it is called, you know the sheet metal with diamoned shaped pattern). Or similar.
    5. Add/fabricate two simple boxes for storing fire wood.

Here are two shots of my smoker/trailer combo:

Click image for larger version

Name:	smoker-2.jpg
Views:	571
Size:	305.0 KB
ID:	720223

Here's a closeup of the ugly trailer

Name:	smoker-1.jpg
Views:	403
Size:	279.5 KB
ID:	720222

Again, I'm not looking for a monster project, but it would be nice if it looked 'dang dang good', as I believe the good Mr. Bones would put it :-)

What are your suggestions? If you have any inspirational photos, please add them to this thread.

Primping ... I can probably help ya with that.

Pimping ... nope, not gonna go there.

Comment

I had to look that up - primping. Now I’ve learnt something new! Call it what you want, the aim is to get a more bbq looking trailer. Nothing else, no funny business. I’m thinking about painting it black, it seems to be standard, and I like it. Need to look up how to apply paint to galvanized steel, some prep is probably needed, but I’m sure it’ll work.

Comment

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        "Primping" is hanging lacy curtains, using colors that are not red, blue, green, yellow or black. Putting doilies on your coffee table and such.

I can't help, but I wanted to remark that I find it interesting that in Sweden a trailer needs its own brakes if it goes above 18mph. Regardless of size or cargo capacity, it needs brakes?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, if you have the tiniest trailer you’ll be ok. But for all practical cases it will need brakes. A lot of boat trailers don’t have brakes, but then you’re not allowed to drive faster than 18 mph either.

Here’s what I’m thinking, but positioning the wood boxes on the side instead.

Name:	BE76EEE9-66E3-4EF5-8942-3D3905CE5E4D.jpeg
Views:	317
Size:	21.7 KB
ID:	720283

Comment

• DoubleUpOrQuit
        DoubleUpOrQuit commented
        Editing a comment
        Depending on how much wood you're stowing while you're towing the trailer you may run into weight distribution issues with the boxes on the side of the trailer. You will have less chance to sway with the weight distributed in the center of the trailer.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Good point.

Here's some of my junk I manage to pawn off. Get some ideas from them. Make your own chassis (super easy to do). I also make the rear bumper removable so it doesnt get burnt. Also add sheetmetal between the chassis and pit. I have sold the big trailer, so it will be leaving Monday, sniff sniff. ( Biggest pit in Latin America).
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Ahumadora; July 25, 2019, 12:33 PM.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Due to legislative reasons I can’t be bothered building my own frame, but it sure would be easy! Thanks for the photos, that smoker is massive!

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Henrik. I guess living in quasi 3rd world countries like Argentina has some benefits.

• treesmacker
        treesmacker commented
        Editing a comment
        Wow Ahumadora, you are good. Wish I was young again - I'd become pitmaster just so I could haul around one of those and impress and delight the crowd. Henrik, go for it - you'll have something wonderful when it is done, and the satisfaction of making it yourself!

Holy Crap is that thing ugly. My opinion of you has taken a devastating fall. If I were to do that here in the states someone would say "Clampets" as in Jed & Jethro. At this point in time if you do anything that will be an improvement. Holy Crap!
      Now with that said, I know you got it in ya!

I have to add, and you had to give us a close up?
      Last edited by FireMan; July 25, 2019, 02:15 PM.

Comment

• HouseHomey
        HouseHomey commented
        Editing a comment
        Dang!

• Texas Larry
        Texas Larry commented
        Editing a comment
        Guess it’s called "Rude Boy" for a reason!

Yea agree Henrik, ditch the sides, checker plate floor, wood box in front. Rude Boy looks like a beached whale on that little trailer, that thing stout enough?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        It has worked so far, but may need reinforcement. Now that you mention it it really looks like a beached whale :-)

Some interesting things to consider in the latest BBQCentralShow podcast from this week. The ever colorful and Cedar Pointe singlite, Greg Rempe, had Steve Ray on the show to talk about trailer maintenance and things of that nature. It'd be worth listening to if only to get you thinking in the right direction about loading weights in the right areas and what not.

Comment

Pimping (or primping) suggestions aside, I'm sure you know that you are really going to need to watch your C.G. Your trailer seems to have a rather narrow stance and Rude Boy appears to sit much higher than all of the other photos of trailers in this thread. You'll also need to make sure that the trailer's tongue weight is appropriate for it's total gross weight.

That said, I'm sure we'll be seeing another Svenskt mästerverk soon ...

Comment

• Ahumadora
          Ahumadora commented
          Editing a comment
          Easy to figure out. Tack weld the spring hangers on where abouts you think the CG is. Then when it is built adjust foward or back until you have about 10% of trailer weight on the tongue. For a 100" chassis move it 1 " and is 1% of weight..

• Donw
          Donw commented
          Editing a comment
          I agree. First thought seeing the photo was that the tank needs to be lower to lower the center of gravity. I also wish the trailer was wider.

Start with a case of black high temp Krinkle paint

Comment

I have no idea what anyone has said in their replies except FireMan but I am confident this is in your wheelhouse Henrik.

i can’t wait for the final product.

Comment

If you wanna be really cool....
            Grab a Volvo or Scania conventional tractor, sleeper unit would be cool for camping/storage, might as well get the tandem drives.
            Most tractors come with more options and aluminum that a lot of cars these days.
            Pull off the fifth wheel and mount your smoker, bolt a coupla utility boxes to the frame rails, Bobs yer uncle....

Comment

• FireMan
              FireMan commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, Swedish Clampets.

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              Yeah, could tie a rocker on top....

• smokin fool
              smokin fool commented
              Editing a comment
              I came to a realization this morning that you'd have to be 12-15 feet tall to load this thing....
              Another vain attempt at humour shot down in flames....

Ok, getting serious about this, if you look at your example and Ahumadora's most excellent work, I'd scrap the original deck altogether as the frame is the money piece of your rig.
            Cut the smoker off the old stand and fab something up where the smoker is welded right to the frame lowering the unit for easier access. Also does away with the tip hazard of a high load.
            You could also play with moving the smoker forward and backward depending on how things fit, the trailers center of gravity and how big a wood box and/or storage you want.
            Get that far then decide how to deck it out with work shelves and such.
            New tires on chrome rims, NOW, Bob's yer uncle....

P.S. sorry about my stupidity above....

Comment

Good feedback from you all. I’m gonna talk to the dept of transportation first. Hopefully next week. If I can get them onboard from day I this is gonna go a lot smoother. Then I’ll strip the existing trailer, and see if I can drop the smoker a bit. The horizontal balance is fine. I’ve been hauling it around for 2 years now. And I haven’t noticed any issue with a high center of gravity either. But, I’ll see if I can’t lower it, if for no other reason than esthetics.

Right now (today) I’m fabricating a hinge so I can fold the smoke stack easily when driving. That alone is gonna be an improvement.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here