Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fabricating a Parrilla

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Nice going. Your the envy of everyone in Stocholm.

Comment

Henrik - enjoyed going through this today, thankyou. I've heard alot about different South American cooking styles. Curious about the flavor profile of this cook? Could a person could sort of replicate it using common cookers (kettle grilled direct with no lid)?

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        I guess you could, the only challenge would be moving glowing embers without lifting the grill grates. But except for that? Yes.

• Huskee
        Huskee commented
        Editing a comment
        If you had a long enough (and thin enough) coal shovel you could emulate this on a stickburing offset. Shovel coals up in the cook chamber under the cooking grates. Lotta work though.

Very nice. Love it!

Comment

Awesome Henrik That looks like one fun rig to cook on.

Comment

Wow Henrik , freaking motivational! My kids just got me a fire put with a cooking grate, have been loving the open fire cooking. Very well done my friend.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thank you, I’m very pleased with the results!

A job well done Henrik!

Comment

That is a thing of beauty.
            Well done indeed.

Comment

I just enjoyed Henrik’s video of the build process. Thanks Henrik for taking us through the entire build. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t4OujJfXH7g

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                My pleasure!

What I enjoy as much as your finished projects H is that when in high school I took wood and metal shops. Really, really excelled in metal shop. Made all kinds of stuff for friends. Weight racks, benches, fire place grates and special projects for the teacher. Last thing I welded was a frame for my toolboxes, 1988. Dang. Thanks!

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Nice! It's very rewarding to build stuff. Good fun doing it, and creating things from scratch is cool.

Re-starting an old thread. Henrik I would be interested in your dimensions and materials list which you sort of offered in an early post in the thread. I also have questions, such as how did you get penetration on that solid square bar stock you used on the brasero? Thanks

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                The solid bars? I cut them at an angle so the weld would 'fill' the groove/gap. But I also cranked my welder to the max, it is quite powerful. As for dimensions, here's a more detailed description: https://hankstruebbq.com/parrilla/

• Dewesq55
                Dewesq55 commented
                Editing a comment
                Henrik - Thanks. What wall thickness was your square tube? Was it â…›" or heavier? Also, what do you think about attaching the brasero pieces into a single unit but welding angle iron to each side which would rest on the tubes on each side of the fire box and be removable? Just a thought I had.

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Dewesq55 - They are slightly thinner than 1/8". Just a standard square tube. As for a removable brasero - why not? I guess it can help with cleaning.

You done good, real good!!

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you NoogaQ !

I watched the tri tip video and now I want one of these.

Comment

I have started looking into acquiring the materials to build something very similar to this. Over here, it seems that standard firebrick size is 1.25" x 4.5" by 9". I can easily buy 1.25" square tube so it shouldn't be a problem. Would you agree, Henrik ?

Comment

• Ahumadora
                  Ahumadora commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Dewesq55 a local sheetmetal shop should be able to bend you one up. I would probably use 1/8" thick hot rolled. Buy a couple of firebricks and calculate the size of the parrilla according to how the bricks will fit exactly.

• Dewesq55
                  Dewesq55 commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Ahumadora . I will probably scratch build it, though, either by bending or cutting the sheet metal myself.

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Yup. Will be fun to see the build progress!

Great Build......... as you stated making the sides Higher..... one more thing that I would do, is to have all the steel powder coated excetp the grate..... I would buy something pre made stainless or the angle steel you see on some of them with drip pan..... But still Fantastic.!!!

Comment

• Henrik
                  Henrik commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Thanks Dusty!

Click image for larger version  Name:	9EC42F61-7430-49D9-BF9D-2C213DEB45D2.jpeg Views:	0 Size:	3.04 MB ID:	1031438Click image for larger version  Name:	1F3A7A3E-1D84-4E16-B63E-497E88E181DE.jpeg Views:	3 Size:	2.91 MB ID:	1031391
                I took my inspiration from Hank,,,,
                lotsa thinking at 3 AM
                I think it came out pretty good for a first attempt,,,
                the shelf on the right is removable and hangs on 2 hooks below the handle.
                1-1/4” 14 ga. square. Tube is the frame. 14 ga. daimond plate for the skin
                Last edited by Greygoose; May 14, 2021, 11:27 AM.

Comment

• Greygoose
                  Greygoose commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Henrik, just finished it and going to season the grate up tomorrow AM for some steaks in the PM
                  Thank you for the kind words
                  Last edited by Greygoose; May 14, 2021, 11:32 AM.

• Donw
                  Donw commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nice job there! I wish you many great cooks on it.

• CaptainMike
                  CaptainMike commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nicely done! Simple but elegant, very nice lines.

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here