Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Why would my smoker not come up to temp??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why would my smoker not come up to temp??

I cooked 140 lbs of pork butt this weekend.. when I went to bed it was at 235 well on it way to the desired 250 at about 8:30 pm. When I woke up a 4am it was at 202 and climbed as high as 228 by 9 am.. I then pulled seven of the most done butts out and put them in the oven at 350 to make sure they were done by noon party..within an hour smoker was at 268 ..so my questions?? Why would my smoker not get hot?? Not enough air flow to get rid of mosture.. probably need more hp on the heating element too.. what are your thoughts on this I have never had this happen before!!

Wind,,air flo?
    Imthinkin

Comment

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      I don't think so.. it is a insulated cabinet in my garage..

My Keg does the same thing, its like it having a hissy fit or something and refuses go over a certain temp.
    Though last time this happened I finished off a bag of Royal Oak charcoal, too many small nuggets and dust probably choked the poor thing.
    Seems the more you think you know about smoking the less you know sometimes.

Comment

• Backroadmeats
      Backroadmeats commented
      Editing a comment
      Isn't that the truth!! I have not been this nervous on a cook for a long time.. I also haven't had this much fun and satisfaction by pulling off what was looking damn near impossible!!

If you have the correct fuel,,,,diesel,wood,card board, nlyon stockings or what ever and you have enough heat to cause ingnition the only thing lacking is enough oxygen to keep it goin

Comment

Ok I should have stated this is an electric smoker

Comment

Originally posted by Backroadmeats View Post
        Ok I should have stated this is an electric smoker
        U got me,,,,,
        I have no idea,,,,,maybe a power outage 🤣😂🤣👍

Comment

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          I have cooked 100 lb of beef sticks in 8 hours.. granted at a lower temp.. no power outage it was overloaded.. but why??

Sure sounds like there was jus too much cold butt fer yer element to overcome in that time frame, jus my ¢2

Reckon that insulation helped keep em cold a very long time, while yer cooker was tryin its best to overcome

Glad ya were able to plan B, an make it all come together, Nice Job, Brother!

Comment

• Backroadmeats
          Backroadmeats commented
          Editing a comment
          I was thinking evaporative cooling. . the element couldn't cook of the condensation from the butts.. maybe airflow.. maybe hp of the element.

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm sure evaporative coolin was a factor, as well; most always is.
          Ya definitely hit a mega meat stall, an burner couldn't power through it, with 140 lbs. of butt in there
          I wouldn't think airflow would be as quite as important, since yer not combustin yer fuel, only yer smoke source. Mebbe it would have helped mitigate th evap, or mebbe it'd lose heat even faster than yer element was already strugglin against...
          I dunno...@Backroadsmeat

I cook butts on a Kamado. Ten pounders usually take 12 hours at 225. I once cooked 40# that took 22 hours. So, here is my best guess. If the meat was on multiple levels or packed in tightly like they were in my Kamado the problem was airflow and the starting temp of cold meat. Also, in my Kamado the two levels of meat behaved as one extra thick piece of meat.

Comment

Yep you had an overload of butts for the amount of room in your smoker. You don't say the size of your smoker but a 2 or even 3 day project would have worked better. Then heat up the cooked butts the morning of the event and pull with the newly smoked butts and no one will tell the difference once you mix the meat together and sauce it. You have to able to get through the stall. With that much meat raising the heat would be easier than wrapping since you have an electric smoker.
          Last edited by mountainsmoker; June 24, 2019, 11:12 PM.

Comment

Glad it all worked out well for you.

Comment

I have a big insulated vertical gasser in my enclosed trailer. I find that when I get to target temp and have adjusted my gas flame to maintain that temp I always get a drop when meat is added irrespective of ammount of meat. (More meat added the longer the door is open)
              With smaller cooks it gets back to target after a reasonable time but with more volume it struggles to rise even a few degrees.
              I have to increse the flame with larger cooks and it struggles it's way back up yo target and I can then play with the gas adjustment..My meat is not tightly packed so I believe there is still a good ammount of space around for sufficient airflow.
              I don't have an answer to your question and can only share my observation of my cooker and I fortunately can up my heat source.
              When I've crammed meat on 3 racks instead of spreading them over more (can fit 10) I have noticed the fight to get back to target is more difficult.

In conclusion I think both have a significant bearing.

Comment

• mountainsmoker
                mountainsmoker commented
                Editing a comment
                Smoking with gas which you do and smoking with electricity which he does is different. Gas puts out moisture that must be exhausted. Electricity is a dry heat. So we are comparing apples and oranges in the cooking methods. Well best smoking to both of you.

• Backroadmeats
                Backroadmeats commented
                Editing a comment
                @mountainamoker I have always been of the belief gas is a drier heat because it needs airflow/oxygen .. electric needs no air.. interesting take on the issue though.. thanks

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here