Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Building an insulated smoker????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Building an insulated smoker????

I have been thinking on building a double walled insulated, gas assisted pellet smoker. It would be out of stainless and insulated with fire brick. The gas would be to bring it up to temp only and the smoker would then take over.
    My thinking is that it could more easily be used in the cold and even windy condition.
    Has anyone ever seen any such contraption?

I don't know what part of Texas you live in but it never gets cold enough in Houston to warrant such a setup.

Someone you may want to talk to who does have large pellet cooker experience in competition is CandySueQ. I know she hasn't been around lately, she's a busy woman but she may have some feedback for you.

Comment

Interesting concept. I think the dual fuel is worthy of discussion. I wonder about the efficacy of gas and pellets. My gasser and pellet pooper generally get to desired temperatures about the same time, and modern controllers can hold a pretty steady temp in just about any conditions. However, plumbing a gas sear station would be very nice.

Comment

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        big words there bud. Lemme translate: sounds interesting, try it and report back. That way we get the reward and no risk.

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        What can I say texastweeter, in my former line of work we called that "Chief-speak". I did include the word "pooper" though.

No need to use firebricks between the stainless panels. Use something like glasswool ceiling insulation instead.
      Firebricks are heavy.and not necessary for that kind of application.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        Or just leave an air gap.

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        CaptainMike Effective and cost effective.

• texastweeter
        texastweeter commented
        Editing a comment
        that's what is inside a pitmaker verticle smoker. 2 chimneys of KBB keeps her at 225° for 7 hours.

There are several insulating companies I've worked with in oil and gas plants that can put high heat insulation with a light weight stainless shell over it on your cooker. I found a company that sells stainless barrels on line. As soon as my shop is finished I'd like to use one of those to build my own version of a barrel cooker.

Comment

Well, I've sort of been building an insulated gravity fed smoker for near two years now. I blame Nightrayne for not quiting his job and working on it with me more. Not that it's hard, just hard to find time. Need to get back into it. Anyway, you can get some rock wool batting insulation that is rated for 2000F. Shouldn't be any problems. That is what I'm using anyway. Few pics below. The insulation can be bought online. That image is from a website, but I'm using the same thing.
        Attached Files

Comment

I built a fully insulated offset smoker. I would skip the fire bricks. Air is all you need.

Comment

I agree with Henrik. The fire brick would add to much extra weight that is really not needed.

Comment

I was wondering what makes my Pitmaker Vault so heavy. Now I know it's firebricks.

I sure wish I liked that thing. It just sits at my house looking pretty with no fire in it, lol.

Comment

• texastweeter
                texastweeter commented
                Editing a comment
                I use mine constantly. Wondering what you don't like about it?

Mineral wool is all you need. Much cheaper and lighter. I made my cabinet smokers out of 2x4" box and 16 guage sheetmetal with insulation. Can hold your hand on the outside of the pit.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here