Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Not my best purchase

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Not my best purchase

I bought a smoker from HD last year because I wanted a smoker at my wife’s family’s country house. It had good reviews but when I put it together and used it not my greatest of purchase. It doesn’t hold heat very well and I lose heat/smoke from the hot box to the flute is there any spray foam insulation that I can use that is also food safe?

Bummer, can I suggest purchasing something else after your experience you may never come to terms with the thing☺

Comment

What exactly did you purchase?

Comment

TheGov send us a link to what you bought at Home Depot, and we may come up with suggestions. There is no spray foam you can use, but there is high heat gasket material that is commonly used to seal around smoker doors that might help.

Comment

You can always give it a blanket all year. good luck

Comment

TheGov based on that model (https://www.homedepot.com/p/Dyna-Glo...CS-D/301737757 for those that missed it in the comment above), I think you could probably use some high heat gasket around all the various doors, to seal leaks. There is high temp RTV sealing that might work around the connection of the firebox to the main body as well.

I am thinking this type around the door on the cook chamber:

We are committed to developing the most innovative products of the highest quality for all your BBQ gasket needs.

And something from this page for the firebox lid and doors:

Seal up leaks in your firebox with LavaLock Fire box gasket for your BBQ pit! Seals and gaskets reduce fuel consumption and result in better control and efficiency on all BBQ smokers.

Around the joint of firebox to body, maybe you could use some high temp RTV sealant. They have a LOT of options on that site, and if you email them, I am sure they can help put together a kit for you. Maybe someone else on Amazingribs.com has better suggestions.

Comment

• LA Pork Butt
          LA Pork Butt commented
          Editing a comment
          I’ll second that!

Gasket it as has been suggested, and get a welding blanket or two from Harbor Freight to throw over. They really do help hold in heat and block wind.

Comment

Here is a food safe, high temp silicon that might work:

Comment

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            That is cheap and would be good to seal leaks in the cook chamber. It's only rated to 400F, so I would not use it on the firebox.

The same felt gasket stuff used in kamados should work on that door, if it leaks. Welders blankets also help add insulation (not on the firebox, it should take the heat BUT better safe than calling the FD).

As for the top vent, if it doesn’t have a thing to regulate the opening you could use heavy duty aluminum foil. Cover it and if you need an opening make one.

Other than that, it’s hard to say unless I actually use one, or see it in action.

Comment

I had a buddy bought one of those, it worked good enough for the price paid, yes leaked smoke everywhere but still turned out great meats. It only lasted 3 years. outside. You will get a chance to replace it soon. Untill then smoke on.
            Last edited by randy56; April 19, 2019, 06:06 PM. Reason: Just thought about one of his cooks, he put chicken on top and butt's on bottom, the grease from chicken driped on the butts,

Comment

I too have bought a purchase in the past that I was not happy with. Joining a site like this has increased my knowledge a lot. I didn't realize how much I didn't know until I started learning from this site, if that makes sense. I think you need to decide for yourself, at the end of the day, what do you want? If you cook with that and you like it then keep cooking with it until you decide to upgrade. If you really don't like it (which was me) then get rid of it and save for an upgraded product. Sell it on Craigslist and salvage what you can, save, learn from the people here on what direction you want to go and then purchase it! Good luck.

Comment

Thank you all! Gave me quite a few things to think about and some good ideas to impediment. Eventually I will upgrade but this summer isn’t the year and I will take your advice and throw a few good bandaids at this POS until I can upgrade to big daddy status. Thank you all again and smoke on.

Comment

I have some dyna products (had to start somewhere) that are sitting in the back yard. Yes they are not the greatest product however just adapt and over come. I sealed mine up with silicone and use em as an emergency if my other smokers are full of food (all 5 of em) which is rare occasions. But I still tinker with em just to keep my confidence that I can smoke and cook with just about anything. That being said, I have had some good q come out of em.
                  With mine I took them in the garage and turned out the lights then used a flashlight and checked every fold and corner for pin hole leaks and sealed em with high temp sealant. I highly recommend doing that. Also high temp seal the firebox to the chamber.
                  When I finished the only smoke visible was coming outta the top vent.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here