Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Kettle attachment a working work in progress.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"I am able to use both bottom and top grate for cooking area. I have only cooked on the top grate to date."

By the bottom grate, do you mean the charcoal grate in the kettle or something else?

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack charcoal grate runs about 50F lower in temp than top grate.

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Because there is no ash you could probably run a fan in there to circulate the air and maybe make the temps more uniform.

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm not that familiar with fans and there operation but what I've read here that could work. I haven't checked the variances when the water reservoir is in play may bring a bit more evenness. Mental note to do so on next test. Attjack

Very clever and innovative but is there an advantage?

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Well I mentioned I don't like briquettes and want to use wood for my cooks, and until my offset is complete this is an alternative and a learning tool on stick burning fire management.
      It was never designed to have any advantages over the original kettle but I can use both top grate and charcoal grate for more food space for large cooks.
      Lift the kettle off the gizmo and refit the ash catcher (3 bolts couple minutes) and my kettle is ready for normal use.

Really like your idea & execution. This is a good one.

Comment

Now that is super cool! I love the stick burner/kettle kombo. And especially that it is reversible in minutes. Thanks for posting!

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        You've been an inspiration with your innovative ideas. Thank you.

Awesome design, love seeing ideas on paper/in our heads make it to reality. Great job

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        So true wish I'd put more of my ideas into practice.
        This one happened because of a passion I've developed for smoking

That is pretty innovative. Somebody else mentioned patent it, that is a good idea.

Comment

I love this! Very cool, brotha!

Comment

Damn this was a cool DIY-hack for the Kettle.. Very imressive holehogg

Comment

Cool idea - Offset Kettle Smoker!

For folks that may not have the skills or desire to fab up such a thing this might be worth pursuing - https://www.kickstarter.com/projects...ef=creator_nav

Comment

Kettle Mod of the year nominee.

Amazing Ribs should give out prizes at the end of the year which are based on members votes.

Comment

I dig it too

Comment

Cool setup. Is the "grease trap" easily removable to empty it out? I was looking at making a UDS, and I've seen where people just stick a kettle without legs on top of the drum. Of course then you can't use the kettle like a regular one, because like Lt Dan, "You ain't got no legs!"

Comment

• holehogg
                    holehogg commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Grease trap is part of contraption and easily cleaned. I have been doing a lot of tweaking and getting to where I want it to be. When I'm happy with all my results will post a full description etc..

Shark Tank. Convince a couple of investors and you could be on your way. Of course Weber could have something to say about that. Best of luck, man!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here