Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mechanics? Machinists? Welders? Anyone? Stumps Restoration Help Please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mechanics? Machinists? Welders? Anyone? Stumps Restoration Help Please

So I picked up an old Stumps Classic model and have been chipping away at rejuvenating it, but I seem to have hit a snag that I need help figuring out. Aside from cosmetic restoration, the only real repair I need to make is to the top hatch. At the very least, I need to replace the old gasket because it leaks far too much heat out of the charcoal shoot. I probably need to replace the entire hatch, but my dilemma is the same for both: removing the screws.

I called Stumps to ask about getting replacement parts and the STRONGLY cautioned me about the risk of removing the screws. They explained it as being similar to screws/bolts in an engine block that get heated and cooled several times and that if not done in a specific way I will snap off 3/4th of them.

He said their shop guy has the process down and that he sprays it with something several times and then eventually heats it up with a torch or something. Of course they'd prefer I bring it to them, but loading this beast back up and making a five hour drive to their shop is a very last resort.

I'm not sure which trade would be familiar with what they're talking about, but if any of you could help me out I'd greatly appreciate it!
    Attached Files

Hit the latch with WD40 and wire brush. For the plate on the under side just replace the whole thing with a thicker plate (#14 or 1/8"). Use a grinder and grind off the screw heads. You can probably re use the gasket again. On the new plate drill the holes in a different spot and screw it on.

Comment

• JPGators17
      JPGators17 commented
      Editing a comment
      The gasket definitely needs to be replaced, it is hard as a rock and doing poorly at creating a seal.

My suggestion is: PB Blaster or Penetrating Oil - Spray and leave for 2 days, Try to break free.

If that doesn't work or you feel that you may break them; Grab a propane torch. Heat AROUND the screws on the metal surface. Try not to head the screws too much. This will cause the metal to expand around the screws and hopefully let you remove them. Also, make sure the bit fits TIGHT, you might need to tap it in with a hammer and thats OK. The tapping can help break loose stuck bolts

Good luck!

Comment

Clarifying update: I spoke to them again and they clarified that only the gasket screws are likely to break, not the outer hing screws on the shoot door. That being the case, I'm leaning towards replacing the whole door, since it comes with a new gasket and the upper latch gooseneck that's missing on it now. But I'll see if what you've recommended works on the old one just for practice. Thanks for the input!

Comment

• Flavorsavor
      Flavorsavor commented
      Editing a comment
      This may be the way to go. In your picture it looks like the sheet metal of the lid may be rusted away around the bottom, but it's may just be heavy creosote peeling. If that's the case, you could grind off the heads of the screws as several have mentioned, (if you have a grinder) have a new piece of sheet metal cut (stainless, to avoid problems $$), and drill and tap new holes in the lid (1/4-20 or 10-24 tap w/ a couple drill bits). Depending on your existing tool situation...that $ adds up

• Flavorsavor
      Flavorsavor commented
      Editing a comment
      Also, if you're set on removing the screws for practice, I'd follow all these other great recommendations, plus this little guy -> https://www.homedepot.com/p/TEKTON-1...2910/205674680

• JPGators17
      JPGators17 commented
      Editing a comment
      Now that's a handy little invention. I agree, by the time I tool-up for the job, replacing the door will definitely be cheaper. Thanks for the input!

Try Liquid Wrench maybe...
    https://www.amazon.com/s?k=liquid+wr...ref=nb_sb_noss

I've never used PB Blaster, but it sounds great as well, and has great ratings...
    Last edited by treesmacker; March 26, 2019, 10:26 PM.

Comment

I was going to wait until I got the new charcoal shoot door installed and a new logo on it, but the Stump's company has been less than helpful in getting either, to say the least, but here's what she looks like for now.
      Attached Files

Comment

Wow what a great restoration job

Comment

Gorgeous restoration! Really looks nice!

Comment

Wow, that looks great!

Comment

Thanks! i just realized this isn't the "restoration" post I started, here's better before and after: https://pitmaster.amazingribs.com/fo...ation-progress

Comment

Lookin' good now.

Comment

Wow, talk about improvement!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here