Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help with homemade smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with homemade smoker

Hi guys, I need some help with my new project. I have an argentinian parrilla and I want to convert it to a smoker by adapting the top. What would you do? Any advice?
    Attached Files

Maybe Ahumadora can offer some advice, but seek out a local metal fabricating shop or welder/metal worker. A talented welder should be able to help you. You might be better off simply acquiring a dedicated smoker instead of altering your parilla.

Comment

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      If I remember correctly didn’t you use a metal cover or the like to smoke something on the SM. I agree a separate smoker would be better but you produced some outstanding food with it if memory serves. Do you still have a photo?

• CaptainMike
      CaptainMike commented
      Editing a comment
      Donw it is very limited in what it can do, more of a heat trap than anything. She'd need vents and a probe port and some way to affect a seal of sorts. A talented metal worker would know if they could adapt her grill.

• Donw
      Donw commented
      Editing a comment
      Got you. I still thought it was clever though.🙂

Yes, I wouldn't bother rebuilding your parrilla. Instead get/build a separate smoker. Two grills are better than one ;-)

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      And 3 are better than 2. And so on and so on. 😁

Can you get a Weber kettle in Argentina? I know you can in Chile.

Comment

Good advice but maybe she has two parrillas. I'm sure she will chime in.

Comment

Well let’s see. Maybe you can find a hood from a gasser that will fit, some good sheet metal for the sides down below and create a charcoal holder for the bottom shelf. Don’t forget you may need to add coals during your cook. You may want to add a water pan just above the coals. Anyway you look at it, looks like some fabricating and welding will be needed. Good luck!

Comment

• Willard
          Willard commented
          Editing a comment
          Or, you could just ship it to Fountain Lane and I’ll take care of it...eventually 😎

• jimmyz
          jimmyz commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! Maybe I'll just get one new

What makes this type of grill different from an open kettle? I can see the air flow, but nevertheless I don't see an effective difference in action.

Comment

Looking at it, the phrase "just because you can doesn’t mean you should" comes to mind. I’m not saying it would be impossible, but it will require VERY careful planning and engineering. And some good welding / metal fabrication skills.

Challengs will include:
          creating a good seal to prevent air leaks
          modifying the firebox to act like an offset
          putting in air vents to alllw for proper airflow
          eleminatijg hot spots
          probably gonna want a water pan of some sort
          Designing a lid to allow for access to the food area without exposing the fire, and a lid to tend the fire without exposing the food

not impossible, but quite challenging. If you have those skills, why not just build a smoker from the ground up?

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Much more elaborate and in detail. That's what I tried to get across :-) And yes, why not build one from scratch in that case?

• jimmyz
            jimmyz commented
            Editing a comment
            Yes, you are right. I think it is too much of a challenge for me, maybe the best is to get a new one.

What do you think about this product? https://articulo.mercadolibre.com.ar...r-parrilla-_JM

I'm having a hard time searching for an affordable smorker

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            I like this one, and if I have the exchange rate correct it's about $138 USD. It does seem a little on the small side though, how many people do you usually cook for?

• grantgallagher
            grantgallagher commented
            Editing a comment
            Im basing this off of the google translate for the page but it mentions "zinced" or probably galvanized steel hooks. If you get something like that you definitely want to replace those with stainless steel or something else. Heating zinc will release toxic fumes. You should never cook with zinc or galvanized materials.

Other than that, it looks very similar to a traditional pit barrel cooker which as plenty of people here will attest...rocks.

• jfmorris
            jfmorris commented
            Editing a comment
            jimmyz the second one you post is not a smoker, even though it looks like one with that smokestack. It is just a grill. The first one (the upright barrel) is similar to drum smokers used here in the US, but only you know if it has enough capacity for you. Someone else asked if Weber kettles are available down there. Those are grills, but can double as smokers too if setup properly. You might be able to use 1/2 of that second grill in a similar fashion now that I think of it.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here