Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Dream Kitchen, or a Cautionary Tale

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My Dream Kitchen, or a Cautionary Tale

So about 2 years ago my wife and I decided to build a "real" outdoor kitchen instead of the old weber parked on the patio. Our big mistake was researching by looking at dream backyards on Houzz and magazines like Dwell. We really liked the designs of an Australian landscape architect who creates these fantastic backyard resorts, which is an expensive inspiration. I also made critical error stopping into the Kalamazoo dealer while grill shopping.

Between trying to find a designer we liked and the pure torture getting approval from the city, it took about a year and half. Don't even get me started on the insanity of meeting California earthquake code and other city BS. If this thing falls down when the big one hits, the entire bay area will be rubble. We finally finished it this fall. There's still a few things we'd like to do, but it's pretty much done. I even managed to sneak an observatory in there, but that's a whole other bucket of crazy.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0880.jpg
Views:	287
Size:	144.4 KB
ID:	647930
    We wanted something fully covered we could use all year around.

Name:	IMG_0882.jpg
Views:	247
Size:	138.9 KB
ID:	647931
    I have a Kalamazoo 750 grill and their pizza oven, not to mention their cabinetry. I really like the ceiling. We just used cheap flooring. About the only cheap part of the project.

Name:	IMG_0883.jpg
Views:	246
Size:	142.5 KB
ID:	647932

Name:	IMG_0885.jpg
Views:	253
Size:	156.5 KB
ID:	647933

The v​​​iew from the bartenders station. I have an ice maker in addition to the fridge. I even installed a glass washer like all the bars use. Tiki drinks all summer.

Name:	IMG_0928.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	114.0 KB
ID:	647934
    Gotta have the pretty night shots. We installed infrared heaters on the ceiling to take care of the night chill.​​​​​​

Name:	IMG_0932 (1).jpg
Views:	252
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	647935

This took much much longer than we thought, and completely obliterated our budget, but we're thrilled with the end result. Now if only all this rain would stop.

Amazing....I wish we could do that in New England. Brutal Winters and Horrible mosquitoes keep us inside far to often.
    Last edited by Old Glory; March 10, 2019, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Nice Job!

That's bigger, an nicer than my indoor kitchen!

Comment

Really nice AlexR ! Looking Great!

Comment

Nice work. So, when are you inviting the Pit over to sample your food? LOL

Comment

Very nice! Enjoy!!

Comment

Super job!

Comment

Beautiful job! I feel for you having to go though the permit process with sometimes ridiculous requirements.

Comment

Very snazzy! I only see one flaw. I don't see any couch/cot/hammock for napping. Designers, you can't trust them. 🤣

Comment

Beautiful space, well done! And yup, California is absurd with building codes/requirements. It used to be that they would update the codes every 3-4 years, now it's every 3-4 months there are updates.

Comment

Beautiful

Comment

Dang, that looks awesome! That is a dream item for me - an outdoor kitchen / living area that can handle the wild and wacky Central Texas weather conditions. I hope y'all enjoy the heck out of your project, thanks for sharing!

Comment

Very nice, enjoy

Comment

Looking like an awesome space. Nice to have the weather to be able to use that.

Comment

Really amazing, thanks for the inspiration!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X
                            false
                            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                            false
                            false
                            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                            Yes
                            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here