Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Tips for cleaning up a smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tips for cleaning up a smoker

Hello All, I just acquired a vertical offset that was custom built by one of my coworkers and his buddy. It was headed to the scrap pile and I told him I would take it off his hands. With that being said, it needs a little TLC in order to get it up to snuff. My question is, do I just pressure wash the whole thing and try to re-season it or should I try to knock off all the surface rust with a grinder first and then start the cleaning and re-seasoning steps? Or do I need to go to the extreme and have it sandblasted? This will be my first smoker fueled by charcoal/wood so I want to make sure I do it right the first time. I've attached some terribly looking pictures for reference. It hasn't been used in 5+ years.
    Click image for larger version  Name:	smoker 3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	505.0 KB ID:	623730

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoker.jpg Views:	1 Size:	595.3 KB ID:	623731

Click image for larger version  Name:	smoker 2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	991.3 KB ID:	623732

If you can get it sand blasted cheap do it. Much better than those horrible wire wheels that spit out the bristles. Paint it straight away after getting it blasted.

Comment

Sandblast would be my recommendation, it works wonders.

Comment

I think sandblasting would be good, but I've not had good luck finding people who will do "honey do" projects like this. Sooooo .... if you can't find anyone to sandblast the smoker, you could at least soak the trays in a rust remover solution to get them back to bare metal. I've gotten really good results with Evap-o-rust, but I think there are other products just as good.

For large smoker trays like yours, I'd lay a sheet of heavy plastic on the floor in an out-of-the-way place, and arrange 2x4 wood or short sections of pipe underneath the plastic to create a shallow basin. You want the basin to be just a little bigger and a little taller than the smoker tray. Put the smoker tray in the basin and pour in the rust remover. It might take a day for light to moderate rust and a couple-three days for heavy rust. Rinse well and then burn off any residues before use.

If you go this route, a good power washing of the cabinet might be all it needs. Maybe a good scrub with coarse steel wool or a wire brush on the worst parts. And then a good oiling with food-grade oil. The cabinet doesn't need to be pristine -- it's the trays that you want clean enough to eat (or at least cook) on.

Comment

Blasting is a good way but IMHO sand is not the proper element. Have it glass bead blasted. Does as good as sand and is one heck of a lot cleaner and no sand silica to clean up after blasting. I had the paint on a 23 ft. boat glass blasted off because the blast profile was cleaner and smoother. Then had a wrap put on. For a 23 year old boat it turned out pretty darn nice.
          Glass bead is one of a variety of medias that you can blast with. Like any blast media it has a variety of benefits and drawbacks. This guide will cover important things to know about glass bead blasting including the benefits and drawbacks, equipment considerations for glass bead blasting, and more. Glass Bead Blasting Pros Glass beads can be safe compared to other blast medias. In particular, glass bead blast media can be a good alternative to silica sand depending on your application, which while silica sand is still legal it is becoming more regulated and is recognized as a source of a variety of health problems including silicosis. For more on silica sand and sandblasting check out this in depth guide. Additional benefits of glass bead blasting include that you can use them for a few cycles before they no longer clean a surface. It is common for glass bead media to last 4 – 6 cycles before needing to be replaced. Finally, glass beads can be used in a suction or pressure blast cabinet. This makes it versatile and can help offer a blast cleaning media that keeps your blast cabinet costs down (suction feed cabinets are more affordable than pressure feed). Glass Bead Blasting Cons Its not as fast as other medias at cleaning and doesn’t last as long as harder blast medias like steel. Since glass is not as hard compared to steel grit, steel shot, and even coal slag it doesn’t clean as fast as these blast medias. Additionally, glass beads do not leave a profile, which can be problematic if you need a profile for your paint to adhere. Finally, compared to steel grit or shot and aluminum oxide glass bead blast media is only reusable a few times compared to numerous times with steel blast medias. Common Glass Bead Blast Media Uses Knowing the benefits of glass beads, it is also good to know the common uses for glass bead blasting. Glass bead blasting is well suited for use in sandblast cabinets where blast media will be recovered. It is effective at cleaning a surface without leaving much of a blast profile. This makes it ideal for cleaning paint or coatings off a part as well as removal of rust. If a profile is needed though blast media like steel grit or aluminum oxide can be required as glass bead typically doesn’t profile when blasting Common Glass Bead Blast Media Sizes While glass bead blast media comes in a variety of sizes ranging from 40 – 325 mesh sizes there are mesh sizes that are more common. Common mesh sizes for glass bead blasting include 50-70, 60 -80, 70-100, 120 – 200.  The fastest cleaning glass bead is typically 60-100 mesh.  The right size blast media will ultimately depend on your individual application. Glass Bead Blasting Equipment Glass bead is meant to be reused and so will require specific equipment. Glass bead is typically used in asandblast cabinet. Specifically, since it is not a very heavy blast media it works well in a suction feed sandblast cabinet. Using glass bead with a standard sandblast pot is not very common but you can used crush glass with a standard sandblast pot. Glass Bead Blasting Tips In general the higher pressure you use the greater impact and faster you will be able to blast. However, it can also create changes in your product surface.  Between suction and pressure blasting, pressure is faster but again can create changes in the surface (if blast time or pressure is not well controlled). It is always a good idea to start at a low blast pressure and gradually increase to determine the blast pressure that is best suited for your needs. The maximum blast pressure for glass bead blasting is typically 80 psi for suction blast cabinets and up to 40 PSI for pressure blasting. Using these reference numbers you should be able to slowly determine the right blast pressure and time that will work well for your use.

Comment

Ditto on the bead blasting.

Comment

Thanks everyone for the advice. I'll start looking around here for someone who provides those services.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here