Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Rocket Stove Burnt Ends Old Year Eve Cook

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Rocket Stove Burnt Ends Old Year Eve Cook

This is not rocket science no NASA needed to operate this basic stove. My home built Rocket Stove is manufactured from 4 Inch square tube.
    There are 3 parts to the stove. The vertical chimney and gravity fed fuel chamber and the horizontal air intake chamber.
    The chimney and air chamber form an elbow and the fuel chamber is at 45* to the chimney. And that’s where they all meet and magic takes place (that’s why no scientists needed it’s all MAGIC).

Why did I manufacture this contraption?
    While I was building my food wagon I had no plans too, or even an inkling of smoking foods. Watched many BBQ food programs over the years and one night during the build I was watching such and decided I want to smoke food.
    Without all the details that would prove very embarrassing, I came up with the plan of using a removable rocket stove that would be bolted to the underside of my trailer and feed into a cook chamber on the inside and a chimney leading outside.
    That’s where I leave it.

The rocket stove has been standing among'st my other artillery and been fiddling with it for a couple weeks now. I have a few new ideas for this piece of apparatus but not saying anything about that until it works or doesn’t.

I can share today's experience with you without blushing too much.
    Just the wife and I home for OLD YEARS EVE or NEW YEARS EVE however you call it (buy choice).

Had some left over Pork Belly Burnt Ends from yesterday that I reconstituted using the Rocket Stove for our OLD YEARS EVE dinner for 2 and have invited you to join us by sharing this.

The Cooker

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181231_175929.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.82 MB ID:	616392

Ignition

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181231_180130.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.61 MB ID:	616393
    Blast Off

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181231_175946.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.14 MB ID:	616394

The fuel chamber is narrow so only small splits can be used or thin branches / twigs. I used splits that were about 2”x2” and 10” long. This is no feed it and forget it, it needs constant baby-sitting.
    Had the heat die on me (blush) but it recovers very quickly. The stove gets hot very quickly and is very efficient. The wood in the fuel chamber only burns where the 3 tubes meet at the elbow, and not up the chamber itself.

I’ve had this pan for many years and only used once or twice. It is heavy, made from food grade stainless steel and 16” diameter, 12” cooking surface and 3/16 thick steel. Has 3 nuts welded to the underside that you can fit bolts for legs for standing over coals.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181231_180359.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.34 MB ID:	616395

No need to wait for it to come up to temp and settle, so let’s cook. This photo shows the gap between the pan and the chimney. The gap is too big.The round bar supports were angled like that to accommodate a "Potjiepot" a 3 legged cast iron Dutch oven that has a rounded bottom.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181231_180532.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.78 MB ID:	616396

This is Port Elizabeth so wind is almost always the order of the day, as it was late this afternoon. I mentioned the fire dying on me that had nothing to do with the wind just neglect, but the draft between the pan and chimney made it difficult to get the pan really hot. I covered the pan with some aluminium foil to help with retaining heat and steam to tenderise.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181231_183631.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	616397Click image for larger version  Name:	20181231_183410.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.67 MB ID:	616398

Because I know nobody here will hold it against me I finished the task on my indoor gas stove.
    Was no feast but much enjoyed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20181231_193109.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.40 MB ID:	616399

Thanks for sharing this meal with me. Thanks for sharing the year we are leaving behind it was a great time for me and look forward to a prosperous new year all round for everyone.

Last edited by holehogg; December 31, 2018, 02:17 PM.

Cool little cooking device. Looks like fun to use. A grate on the top would likely get Smoke on the meat. Any guess what temp you get at the top?

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Don't have a cooking clue but the flames reach right to the top of the chimney, so would be hot. Small grate and a really small piece of whatever to cook though.

When I look up the word contraption, there should be a pic of this. Great device, bet you could get some excellent steaks on that thing with a grate.

Comment

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Something I need to try. Will have to make up a small grate of some sort.

I'm glad you are gettin' some use out of the stove.

Comment

holehogg
      I am stumped, I am very familiar with rocket stoves... why would you want to do anything other boil, fry or brown food. How would you covert it to smoking and searing?

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        Did no research on smokers and had one of those moments... as I said I'll leave it at that😮. The worst is when I did google smokers a you tube video came up of a guy building a vertical wooden box lined with tin foil with a gas burner and I went ahead and designed what is now in my wagon based on that video. Out of SS not wood. It did need quite a bit of tweaking after it was complete and is still not perfect but works well.

My kid is into rocket stoves; he has built several, but I want to know where you got that ss pan.

Comment

• holehogg
        holehogg commented
        Editing a comment
        There's a company that makes them here in PE from their off cuts.
        They manufacture shipping containers for export.

• Maineac
        Maineac commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. That is an awesome looking pan.

Very cool contraption! I love ideas like this!

Comment

I saw the rocket stove in the background of another post you did awhile back. Interesting. Happy Old Year! LoL

Comment

Does it get cable TV.

Comment

• holehogg
            holehogg commented
            Editing a comment
            3rd world contraption. Answer your question.

This is awesome! Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Rocket maaaannnn!!!

Comment

Rocket stoves are very cool for many uses. I made a temporary one from a few cinder blocks, and it worked very well. When running hot, it heated my 16 inch Pao wok in a big hurry. Just as fast as my big propane burner does. The difference is that the rocket stove just burned a bit of yard debris to do it.The rocket stove is on my list for shop heating(that is when I build a shop, as the earthquake sort of set thing back a bit). The rocket stove also combines well with thermal mass heating concepts(think oven). Look 'em up. Cool things you'll find.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here