Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BGE table waterproofing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BGE table waterproofing

So I’m going to attempt to build a BGE table over thanksgiving weekend and I need some help brainstorming of how to waterproof (or as close as possible) my thermowooks smoke and my party Q. I have ordered a large electric box to house my smoke and was planning on mounting it underneath the top of the table. I was then planning on running conduit for the probes across the underside over to the hole where I’m planning on mounting a 45 degree steel conduit for the probes to come out and go into the egg. I also was thinking about ways to cover the Party Q. I was picturing like a rubber sock type thing that I could slip over it where it could still get air. I’ve used Ziplocks in the past and they work but was trying to think of a more permanent solution. There’s no dumb ideas here so please any ideas of how to waterproof either device in my circumstances would be much appreciated.

Can you give us some pics,drawings,of your planned plot??
    my first thoughts of this is it’s gonna be really permanent. Thus how would you remove the probes and clean them? Also how will you rethread them threw the pipes??

Comment

• Rjbachtold
      Rjbachtold commented
      Editing a comment
      I wasn’t planning on keeping the probes in there full time but I did think that it would be hard to fish it. Maybe a few brackets to mount conduit to fish through the probes through.

I just stash my cybercue cloud under the table on top of the charcoal bucket. The table top slats are tightly fitted, sanded, and under a thick coat of varnish.

One of these days i will mount a bracker under the table to hold a plastic box. But don’t try to make to too waterproof. Remember that you want water that gets in to fall out.

Comment

Watco Teak Oil is one of the easiest to apply, and it's often used on boats -above the water line.

As for the PartyQ, something like this should be available locally. Just punch holes in the side you choose for the bottom for the wires.

Comment

• Rjbachtold
        Rjbachtold commented
        Editing a comment
        I do like the idea for the party q. Obviously it can’t be completely sealed so it can air to push through so I like the idea of cutting out a hole for the bottom. If the probes get wet I can always replace cheaper than a new smoke or PartyQ

Comment

Well, the table itself would provide water proofing enough. What I've done in the past with similar devices is to fabricate a super simple drawer that slides out from underneath the table. The drawer doesn't have any front or back wall, simply sides and a bottom. That way there's no moisture trapped anywhere, and you can easily run cables either direction. It slides out real easy whenever adjustments or fiddling is needed.
        the drawer can be made out of wood or metal. I think wood is nicer. I could provide a simple drawing but I think you get the picture. See if there isn't some ready made L-shaped piece of wood at Home Depot or similar. Two of those glued/screwed to the underside of the table and then a plain wooden board, and you're all set.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here