Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fabricated a side table for my smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabricated a side table for my smoker

Ever since I built my offset smoker I've been missing some kind of side table. I can't figure out why I didn't include that in the original design. Today I finally got around to making one. I helped empty my wife's mother's garage as she is moving to an apartment. They refurbished their kitchen 15 years ago, and one of the leftover pieces was a thick oak board. I saw that and immediately thought: hey, there's my sideboard! And I think it is extra fitting since it is made of oak, which is the main fuel for my smoker. I also liked the color, it matches my smoker very well (ignore the colors in the photo, the weather and lighting conditions were terrible).

So, I brought out the welder, steel grinder and some angle bar and went to work. This one was easy, as all I had to do was to make some 90° angles. Once done and fitted I took them off and sprayed with a primer to avoid rust. I have also sanded the board and oiled it, will oil it a few times.

The nice thing is that it is fully detachable, so I can keep it inside while not in use.

Fabricating the steel took like 20 minutes, real nice with mini projects like these.

Click image for larger version

Name:	side_table_2.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	253.6 KB
ID:	590832

Here's the angle bars (before paint 'n polish), welded together to fit the edge of the trailer by simply sliding them down.

Click image for larger version

Name:	side_table_4.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	434.3 KB
ID:	590831

Henrik, SPLENDID JOB MY FRIEND‼️‼️‼️
    From A Backyard Cremator In Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

• jecucolo
      jecucolo commented
      Editing a comment
      Go Dan!

Nice piece of wood. Your smoker is still looking nice. I remember the build thread like it was yesterday! You might be a pit member if you reminisce about cookers the way parents reminisce about children!

Comment

• Henrik
      Henrik commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm with you, that smoker sure is my baby :-)

Nice!

Comment

Looks great!

Comment

Nice job buddy, love that piece of oak, should last forever. How you gonna finish it??

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          I'm oiling it now, will oil it a few times to make sure it lasts. I will repeat that 1-2 times a year.

You are handy and thats handy.

Comment

Nice work! It sure is fun to create and/or refurbish things.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup!

When I was a kid growing up in NJ the bowling alley in town was remodeling, they pulled out some of the lanes cut up into 6 foot lengths. My friend and I built a weightlifting platform out of some. What I could do if ever I found some of that today!

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Cool! A company I worked with in NY bought lanes just like that and we made conference tables with gas pipes for legs. Would love to do that again!

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            Great idea. If you clean over 300 does it register?

• Mudkat
            Mudkat commented
            Editing a comment
            Man ain't that the truth HawkerXP!
            Last edited by Mudkat; November 11, 2018, 07:53 AM.

That looks great, Henrik . You'll be putting it to good use in no time, hopefully.

Kathryn

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks, I sure will!

Nice work, Henrik . You're right, a side table is essential IMO. Just be sure to remember the oak in the table is not for the fire when you run low of wood...

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Ha ha ha, correct! :-)

You might consider putting some boat-quality varnish on after you oil it. I've used this stuff before and it lasts well, and resists the ultraviolet degradation. I put it over polymerized tung oil (and sealer) from Lee Valley.

Shop Woodworking Hand & Power Tools Collection on Lee Valley. Browse our selection of Reliable Tools for any Woodworking project.

Comment

• Henrik
            Henrik commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for the suggestions Ed! I’m gonna stick with oil, I’ll treat it like a cutting board. It won’t be exposed to the elements as I will store it inside while not used. If it doesn’t work out, then I’ll def. try the varnish.

• EdF
            EdF commented
            Editing a comment
            It's all good!

Great job! I love small, quick projects like that.

Comment

A mighty fine shelf for Rude Boy!

Comment

What are you using for oil?

Comment

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                This time I used cold pressed olive oil, but linseed oil is just as good.

• Ratton454
                Ratton454 commented
                Editing a comment
                I was under the impression that you should use mineral oil as cooking oils will turn rancid. I only use mineral oil on my wooden cutting boards.

• Henrik
                Henrik commented
                Editing a comment
                I've used cold pressed olive oil for years for a kitchen table and a counter top. But I'm not a chemist, would be great if someone could chip in and guide me/us! I may have to change my M.O.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here