Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driveway + Offset Smoker = Rolling Thunder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driveway + Offset Smoker = Rolling Thunder

Hi all, I'm looking for some suggestions from my handy friends for how to tackle an issue I have with my offset. I have a 24"x42" Shirley Fabrication Patio Model that is on wheels, but my driveway is graded so that I feel like I'm taking my life into my hands every time I wheel it out of the garage onto the driveway. The decline is just enough so that it tilts a little too far down when on the driveway. I need something that can correct the grade (obviously I could repave my entire driveway). Ramp, platform, etc. I figure my decline is a 4-5" drop (depending on where I measure, the pavement is uneven both by length and width) eight feet from the opening of my garage door. So far I've used 2x4 lumber and wheel stops to slowly move my cooker out of the garage when I want to use it, but one of these days I'm going to get steamrolled! Any suggestions? I thought about constructing a platform out of 2x4 lumber and steel brackets. I'm not a welder - any suggestions?

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_1118.JPG Views:	1 Size:	120.1 KB ID:	587082

I own a trailer with no ramp on it so I went to a local supply house and got a hinged folding aluminum ramp about 6’ long that I load my golf cart and/or sit down mower with. The thing isn’t any heavier than an aluminum ladder and stores easily. You could use one of those propped up with a steel angle iron to level it out. Just a suggestion.

Beautiful rig by the way !!

Comment

• Beefchop
      Beefchop commented
      Editing a comment
      That's an awesome suggestion, thanks!

You might also consider some replacement casters with brakes for those two front wheels.

Comment

Nice looking rig! Do one of them casters have a brake on it you can hit if it starts to get away on ya?

Comment

• Beefchop
        Beefchop commented
        Editing a comment
        They don't, but good idea.

Hey Beefchop, you might want to consider a crash ramp along side your driveway ......

Comment

• Spinaker
        Spinaker commented
        Editing a comment
        They have these on the north shore of superior in Northern MN. Nothing like a runaway taconite or iron ore truck!!

You could bolt a trailer tongue on it, and use a manual trailer dolly to move it around. That gives you time to drop the dolly handle and run.

Do you have a lawn tractor? Same thing.

I bought a CL 70's Craftsman tractor for $ 300.00. That's a lot but it has a new seat, battery, tires, headlights and candied paint job with orange stripes (the owner also owns a body shop). I tripled it up - it can move a boat trailer, mow and plow snow. All it needed was an adult beverage holder.

And don't call my Shirley...

Comment

Personally I think I would prep a nice level area other than the driveway for the Shirley to live and work, versus wheeling it in and out of the garage all the time. That's just me though. My driveway has too much grade once you are out the garage door to have anything level. All my grills and smokers are on concrete pads in the backyard. Even then I sometimes find myself shimming a wheel or foot on the offset to level it out.

Comment

• Mudkat
          Mudkat commented
          Editing a comment
          Shims. The duc tape of smoking!

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          Mine are sitting on different size clay pot saucers - to level them and get them to stay put.

Mount a winch to the back wall of the garage, or in the floor of the garage. Then just ease it in and out.
        Last edited by Randy-Phx; November 3, 2018, 11:31 AM.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          LOL,
          I had th very same thought, last night...

You might try using some wheel chocks. Harbor Freight has them.

Click image for larger version

Name:	wheel chock.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	40.0 KB
ID:	598627

Comment

• Beefchop
          Beefchop commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you! I have these to hold my smoker in place once I wheel it down the driveway, but there's that "Oh Jesus" moment when the cooker starts to roll-need a way to correct the grade.

If your worried about it rolling away, once it's started to roll, set a 2x4 on the drive about 2 feet down the drive from where you start. Once it hits that 2x4 it should stop. Then redo the 2x4 another 2 feet (or so), continue this until it's where you want it, then set the chocks. I've done this when pushing cars by myself so they don't get away from me.

Comment

Hey Beefchop. Great rig! I have two thoughts about your issue. As I understand it you're mostly worried about it taking off and running over you when you are moving it out of the garage. My first suggestion is to tie a rope, chain, cable, etc to it and connect the other end to a screw eye or hook at the back end of the garage. Cut the chain or whatever to the exact length that will allow it to reach the place that you want to roll it to, then if it gets away from you it won't go beyond your desired stopping place. The second thought is to use the skier's method of getting down a steep slope under control. What they do is tack back and forth across the slope moving downward a little at a time until you get where you plan to go. It's all about maintaining control.

Comment

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            How about a boat trailer hand hoist on that eye in the garage? Just crank it down the grade.

Craig's List - $ 200.00. It even DOUBLES as a LAWN TRACTOR or a SNOW PLOW!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Lawn Tractor.jpg
Views:	385
Size:	28.2 KB
ID:	600032

Comment

• JGo37
            JGo37 commented
            Editing a comment
            My softball team used to call me rolling thunder based on how I ran the bases, so I lost dead weight. (I left the softball team)

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here