Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Home Built Santa Maria Grill

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home Built Santa Maria Grill

Have any of you built your own Santa Maria grill? Trying to decide if it's worth the effort.

I have a general plan but haven't implemented it yet.

Comment

Are thinking of building the whole thing from scratch, or do you want to add something to one of your grills? Gabbys Grills has a premade add on for Weber kettles including 26 inchers.

Comment

• CaptainMike
        CaptainMike commented
        Editing a comment
        I'd like to build a whole unit. Likely portable, but perhaps fixed if it looked like a good plan.

Since my BBQ area is covered I figure it would probably pretty easy to rig a pulley system that raises and lowers a weighted grate.

Click image for larger version

Name:	SantaMariaSuspension.jpg
Views:	312
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	581350
      Last edited by Attjack; October 19, 2018, 03:15 PM.

Comment

• RonB
        RonB commented
        Editing a comment
        Cool. How much wind is normal in your area?

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        A little bit. I might be able to use the lid as a windbreak. I could also block wind by putting something on the bar behind the grill and/or the prep table.

LOVE my fire pit. Fully adjustable swing away SS grate. Use mine all the time. Santa Maria "style" grill...

Name:	santa.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	192.8 KB
ID:	581356

Comment

I have this setup at the cabin.

Name:	HKW_aKwDivWw_4sP09hlGuu2riVU6w8AHG_SCNJBggIOOhoZcLwKSXrZLCN933QQk1roB4MthQKjLOfpewSeoE4wj-iD-WTkDHTs5vUZtWtd4ObYI6vjZCh8Pu7iyQ52_I80Od7_C-KM40UpPPUsXN3We4giuB7eaKxP3lJdT9P2myeXHo5dr9eRXsuzcRsveU6CROuxtP8mQaYRn5nzXwA3pDjhHHm1fb0bHLXR76ZXGr9ScpxWrvJMbjo3eyb
Views:	278
Size:	93.8 KB
ID:	581360

Comment

I have built 100's. Don't be fooled by all the fancy stuff you see on the Internet with big handles to raise and lower the grate.
          Most Parrillas as they are called here are pretty primitive and I have never seen one here with a big pulley wheel.
          Here's what I whipped up in under an hour using scrap from around the shop for use at my house.
          You don't need to raise the grate if you control the amount of coals under the meat.
          Main thing to be concerned about is making sure the chimney is ample LARGE (much larger than you think it needs to be) to function. The 2 pics above are good examples.
          Attached Files

Comment

• CaptainMike
            CaptainMike commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmm, interesting. That would simplify things a lot.

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here