Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Best high temp Paint/Coating

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best high temp Paint/Coating

Good evening you Amazing Riblets.

I had a massive bout with MCS, and one of the smokers I acquired was an older Lang 48 patio model. This particular one was made from a propane tank or whatever curved end tanks he used back then.

It had been abused in the form of being left outside for a long time to fend for itself.

Luckily a family member has a fabrication shop and they slowed down enough that they could do the rust removal and fabrication work to recondition the smoker.

It is now time for me to coat the exterior.

I’ve seen rattle cans and brush applied products from Rustoleum, KBS, and others.

What would be the best high temp paint/coating to use?

Thanks for your insight and knowledge!!!

Cheers,
    Walt

I've never been happy with rattle cans for outside stuff. Short lived. Would like to see you new "antique".

Comment

I'd call the folks at Lang. They might be able to hook you up with (or point you to) enough "touch up" paint to do the job.

Comment

Any high heat has been fine for me. Many times it isn't the heat, but more so the expansion and contraction of the metal and lack of elasticity of the paint itself.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	67A8CF74-AD2F-4F03-93F9-33CF2BCFA005.jpeg
Views:	507
Size:	103.2 KB
ID:	579570

Comment

• Smokin D
            Smokin D commented
            Editing a comment
            Can this pic be seen?

• tbob4
            tbob4 commented
            Editing a comment
            It can be seen and it looks great! Thanks. I sure would not trade that thing out. I would put another thermo on the front side and would powder coat it (see below). Really envious.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Yup, I see yer pic, amigo!
            Nice cooker!

If you want to spend a couple of bucks you could talk to a local auto paint shop and ask them if they could do the job. I know a BBQ maker who used to subcontract with a powder-coater who also did auto painting. For him it wasn't terribly expensive but the return on the investment was really good.

Comment

Decided to go with KBS XTS high temp zinc primer and Jet Black final coat.
          Primer is applied, just waiting on the final coat.
          Attached Files

Comment

• fuzzydaddy
            fuzzydaddy commented
            Editing a comment
            Nice job on the primer. Looking forward to the finish!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Very Cool, Sir!

Please, keep us posted as to yer progress...

That is a great looking cooker!

Comment

Cooking today.

Wanted to show how it finished up. Very happy with it. I’ve done several long cooks and have had the firebox cranking while preheating. The paint is holding up amazingly well.

Hope this finds everyone well. Cheers

Click image for larger version

Name:	54BEDFF7-718B-4E76-A473-5A2E8D9FC805.jpeg
Views:	433
Size:	212.1 KB
ID:	604380

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here