Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Outdoor kitchen questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Outdoor kitchen questions

I’m putting together the things I want in my outdoor kitchen. When we bought this house I promised cupcake she could completely redo the kitchen, she is holding me to that promise. My first question is will granite work outside under a porch? We are going to have quite a bit taken out of the kitchen and I’m to tight to haul it off. Second, I have an Atlanta stove works midget No. 8 CI stove I would like to use out there. My mother bought it new in the 60s and set flowers on it in the living room for 50 years. It’s never had a fire in it. I’m sure I can burn lump in it. A CI pot of beans on the stove and a pork butt on the smoker should work great. Looking for opinions or things I’ve not considered.

I'm sure granite would be fine. Not sure if the stove would rust or not. Around here it might but in Texas, I would guess probably not. I searched google and that stove is very cool.

Be sure to check out the outdoor kitchen thread and post your own pics when you're ready.

Comment

Granite will do just fine outside, go for it. That would be an awesome edition to the kitchen. You can also set hot things on the surface and not have to worry about melting anything.

If possible, can you post some pictures of the CI stove? I would love to see that. I am sure you can burn anything from wood to lump in that baby. I would think that would be a very unique part of your outdoor kitchen, that I doubt few have. Just keep in mind that it will rust if it is outside. There is no way around that, if you are going to have it outside.

Comment

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        The King of Cast Iron has spoken.

• Oak Smoke
        Oak Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll post pictures soon. I'm trying to figure out a new camera and then i'll tackle posting pictures. As far as the rust goes I'm going to have to keep it oiled and put up with some smoke when the oil burns off each time. I looked on E bay, these stoves aren't expensive. they ran from 96 dollars to 300 dollars.

Granite will be fine outdoors. Clean and seal it every so often, Home Depot and Lowes sells the stuff, and it will look like new for years.

Comment

Make sure there is no rust on the CI stove (if so scrap it off) and paint with some hi-temp paint and it should be good for a few years. If you could find a product called Stove Black it works great for CI stoves. We use to use it on CI fireplace heat deflectors/radiators using coal (shows how old I am!) and it lasted for a couple of years with a lot of use. Good luck!!

Comment

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          I talked with the manager at my local hardware store, he thinks he can get stove black. Thank you so much!

Having just done a kitchen remodel I researched quartz vs. granite. Granite is not nearly forgiving as quartz. Even indoors it will need to be sealed every couple years. Outdoors I'd say probably once a year. It needs to be sealed because it's porous and will stain from spills like wine or anything else really. It will scorch if a hot pan is left on it for very long.

Not much is more beautiful than granite but because of the maintenance and staining issues we went with quartz and are so far very happy.

Comment

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          The wife is sold on quartz for the new kitchen. I just can't throw away all the beautiful granit that's going to come out of the old one.

• Barry Friesen
          Barry Friesen commented
          Editing a comment
          We went with quartz in our home as well and as a man made product can be repaired if damaged but you cannot place hot pots on it as it will affect the adhesive/epoxy/magic stuff in it and leave a mark. It sounds like the granite is coming out of the current kitchen so it is essentially 'free' making it perfect! Yes seal it and protect from direct heat and you will be very happy!

I agree with Frozen Smoke about using granite. It will be fine, especially covered, but you must maintain it regularly. My granite guy recommends a cleaner/sealer application once a month for a year on new granite, and then annually/as needed after that. Not sure if you know the maintenance history of these tops so you might want to treat them as "new". Just know that granite can stain and can be affected by weather exposure. Good maintenance practices can obviate that. That stove sounds really cool and should be a nice feature of your outdoor kitchen. I just finished rebuilding my deck today and will build the roof and outdoor kitchen, including granite remnants, after the snow melts next spring. Good luck!

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          hahaha, tbob4, the only reason I used that word is because one of our pit crew used it in a recent post. It cracked me up too and I thought the same thing as you. The word of the day is "OBVIATE". I love stupid useful words!

• Fire Art
          Fire Art commented
          Editing a comment
          I have words i just can’t spell them🤓

• Oak Smoke
          Oak Smoke commented
          Editing a comment
          Good luck with the new outdoor kitchen. If you're as pumped about yours as I am about mine it's going to be a long winter for both of us. I have to wait until the new indoor kitchen is done before I can start mine. Do all contractors only show up 2 days a week?

tbob4 & CaptainMike there is no need to obviate if you obliviate. Li is all that matters.

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          I must admit that I'm usually oblivious to such matters.

• Attjack
          Attjack commented
          Editing a comment
          I hope you're not attempting to obfuscate @CaptianMike's use of "obviate" and by throwing out "obliviate".

Hey tbob4 CaptainMike Attjack let’s not mince words here. Obviate, obliviate, obfuscate & oblivious are words , that if minced are cut into little tiny pieces. And if combined with meat become minced meat, which then lends us to the principle of this site, MEAT as in WIBS. Isn’t that Amazing?

Comment

• CaptainMike
          CaptainMike commented
          Editing a comment
          Obviously.

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here