Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Old Weber conversion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Old Weber conversion

I've been 'Q'ing on an old Weber since around 1975. It was a birthday present from my parents. Well, now the bottom is rusting out and the legs are not holding the best, I probably should trash it but I'm thinking of making a smoker out of it but not doing a U.B.S. I do have a Smoke EZ addition so I have an idea for cutting the bottom out and making a stand to hold it. The idea involves capping the bottom with an inexpensive pan. So here's where I'm going. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010663.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	297.5 KB
ID:	569919Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010664.JPG
Views:	202
Size:	268.2 KB
ID:	569920

Neat idea.

Comment

Keep the pictures coming.

Comment

• Gunderich_1
        Gunderich_1 commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes please, keep the pics coming! I'd like to see what you come up with for when I have to do the same with my Webers.

It looks like that old Weber gave you more control over the air vents.

Comment

Really cool idea! I’ve said this before, you’re one of those guys I hate. This site is full of youse guys, the handy, build it guys. 🕶

Comment

• JGo37
          JGo37 commented
          Editing a comment
          Gimme some cotton swabs, a pocket knife and a pack of gum, and I'll build you a mall.

Someone else said that - not me...

• Gunderich_1
          Gunderich_1 commented
          Editing a comment
          MacGyver maybe?
          Last edited by Gunderich_1; September 28, 2018, 11:07 AM. Reason: Spelling.

Very cool idea!

Comment

Really nice idea. You’re definitely on to something!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010693.JPG
Views:	336
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	571623Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010665.JPG
Views:	216
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	571624 Well, I found a pan at Walmart that will cap up the bottom, but I'm thinking that a metal ring the size of the pan would help make it seal better. So here's where things are going.

Comment

• RonB
              RonB commented
              Editing a comment
              If that pan is galvanized, I wouldn't use it. On one of the knife maker's forums, they say that heating galvanized metal can cause unhealthy fumes to be given off.

• Troutman
              Troutman commented
              Editing a comment
              That’s only if you get it up over say 1200*, for bbq tempts it should be ok.

You did this too, didn't you?

Click image for larger version

Name:	Smoker Truck 1.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	46.6 KB
ID:	571753

Comment

• webq57
              webq57 commented
              Editing a comment
              I had the idea, but it looks like they beat me to it.

The pan is galvanized. Now, I've read that it should be good at higher temps (up to 392 degrees). At this point it's still a crap shoot. I'm going to continue the build and see where I end up. Before 'Q'ing anything, (if it gets that far) I will do a dry run and check the temp of the pan with a infrared thermometer to see how hot it gets. If it's questionable it will be swapped out with aluminum or stainless. Seems like there's a lot of 'ifs'. but that's the fun. Thanks for your input.

Comment

Moving forward, the sealing ring is mounted (with pop rivets) and the pan fits up well. Since the bottom vents were removed with the rusted out bottom I had to add a vent to support the fire. The added can on the side is for an I.Q.110 regulator. This will push air in under the coal grate. Now starting on a stand to hold it up. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010667.JPG
Views:	247
Size:	287.3 KB
ID:	574389Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010668.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	274.8 KB
ID:	574390Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010666.JPG
Views:	194
Size:	295.4 KB
ID:	574391

Comment

Can’t what to see how it performs!

Comment

Since the legs have been cut off the idea is to make a support frame. Decided to go with 1 1/4 inch angle iron since it's available at the hardware & Home Depot and not too expensive. I'm starting with a support ring to attach the bowl which will extend to a lower frame with wheels. Thought about using metal conduit but the angle iron adds some weight for stability. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010673.JPG
Views:	186
Size:	272.3 KB
ID:	577449Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010672.JPG
Views:	214
Size:	250.0 KB
ID:	577450

Comment

Very cool build. I had one of those kettles in the 70s, it bit the dust decades ago !!!

Comment

Now getting further along the support frame is close to being finished so I'm fitting the bowl for install. Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010675.JPG
Views:	180
Size:	315.9 KB
ID:	580570Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010674.JPG
Views:	170
Size:	307.6 KB
ID:	580571

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here