Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Smoker Modifications - water pans and more

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Smoker Modifications - water pans and more

Looking to do a couple modifications to my trailer smoker. Going to put a shelf between the stacks, and I also want to put some tabs to hold a water pan under the grate. Anyone see any issues with doing this? Or suggestions. It is a reverse flow smoker.

Going to modify the low shelf a bit to be able to drop two rails in so I can slide the bottom grate all the way out on it. That way if I have a really full smoker or want to throw a couple pigs in I can work on them on the grate and slide it in when ready.

Side fire box needs a little TLC and there is a charcoal grill on the right side and a propane burner on the back side. It’s pretty well setup but before I fire up the welder looking to see if anyone has any other suggestions for modifications / enhancements. Thanks all!

Click image for larger version

Name:	04726D07-06EC-42D8-A593-CF0BD0CA3309.jpeg
Views:	368
Size:	193.5 KB
ID:	565674Click image for larger version

Name:	6F6D60A4-65F0-4B85-B793-F4A018885201.jpeg
Views:	174
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	565675Click image for larger version

Name:	4D77CA06-DFBB-428C-944D-D6A4FDAC71A7.jpeg
Views:	202
Size:	160.5 KB
ID:	565676Click image for larger version

Name:	BD6B0CF8-F2D0-4127-924E-257903009142.jpeg
Views:	201
Size:	136.4 KB
ID:	565677

Maybe add a port for thermometer probes? Nice lookin' rig by the way.

Comment

• afd696
      afd696 commented
      Editing a comment
      Good idea. Thanks.

Question Why do you want the water pan?
    Can you simply add water to the main tube?
    With the reverse flow the heat will travel over it
    But Maybe there is something Im not seeing

We only use water when the tuning plates are out near the firebox
    and I am running the pit at 350 plus in the first door Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0246.JPG
Views:	193
Size:	175.8 KB
ID:	565734
    Attached Files

Comment

• Troutman
      Troutman commented
      Editing a comment
      Nice rig, I like the Santa Maria setup on the other side as well !!

There is just the one tube and my plan was to have the pan under the grate so it didn’t take up any cooking space. mainly to keep some humidity in the cooker when I want it. I try to keep everything around 250 most of the time. I was going to just put a couple tabs on top of the shielding from the reverse flow so it wasn’t all the way down in the bottom and is just easier to access, but I could certainly just put it on the bottom of the tube.

Comment

• Thom Emery
      Thom Emery commented
      Editing a comment
      We cooked on a reverse flow on a out of town contest once
      Loved the balance but missed being able to run three different temps in our three bays
      A nice spray bottle may do the trick ;0)

Nice rig! Ditto on the probe grommets. Standard auto firewall grommets will do the trick on a smoker, just eBay them. The minimum long duration temp tolerance is 250F, which is plenty with a 20% manufacturing tolerance.

I like Grainger temp dials too, because the display is 90 off. Really versatile and easier to position.

Click image for larger version  Name:	grommet.jpg Views:	3 Size:	3.0 KB ID:	566088

Click image for larger version  Name:	Grainger 2.jpg Views:	2 Size:	21.8 KB ID:	566089
    Click image for larger version  Name:	Grainger 1.jpg Views:	2 Size:	21.9 KB ID:	566090
    Last edited by JGo37; September 17, 2018, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• afd696
      afd696 commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks for those probe grommets. They are perfect. Was thinking about what I maybe able to use for them earlier today. No more thinking!

Sand down the top to the fire box, and season it like cast iron. Makes a great griddle for ribeyes, bacon, scallops, burgers excetra. Use it to cook meals for myself at events on mine. You got a wood bin/rack on there somewhere? Propane assist is also nice, and fairly easy.

Comment

• afd696
      afd696 commented
      Editing a comment
      Never thought about seasoning it, but the top of the firebox does need some work. No wood bin/rack, using my truck, but I also use the charcoal grill on the back end to store a bunch. Propane assist / fan was a thought too.

• JGo37
      JGo37 commented
      Editing a comment
      Love using the firebox tops! Even my pot belly fireplace has a cast iron Dutch oven on it.

Anyone ever put a fan control into a trailer this size? Looking to see what kind of CFM I might need.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here