Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fabricating a hot plate for my offset

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fabricating a hot plate for my offset

I’ve had my offset smoker for quite a while now, and it’s always fun comparing my offset to others. Lone Star Grillz have really nice models, and I like the idea of having a hot plate on top of the firebox.

Said and done, I fabricated one.

Since my firebox is insulated (a box in a box, with 20 mm spacing), I simply cut a hole in the outer box, fabricated a frame and a lid and welded it in place. Not too much work, and it was a fun weekend project. So now I can cook a pot of beans or warm up a bbq sauce while smoking. Nice!

Here's the candidate (with yours truly), ready for some surgery

Click image for larger version  Name:	offset-mod-1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	854.4 KB ID:	554022

Welding the frame that will be inset (using flat iron)

Click image for larger version  Name:	offset-mod-2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	687.9 KB ID:	554023

Fabricating the frame for the lid (using angle iron)

Click image for larger version  Name:	offset-mod-3.jpg Views:	1 Size:	785.7 KB ID:	554025

And here's the hot plate, still some welding to do all around, plus finishing the lid.

Click image for larger version  Name:	offset-mod-4.jpg Views:	1 Size:	716.6 KB ID:	554024

Here's me finishing up the lid

Click image for larger version

Name:	offset-mod-5.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	172.9 KB
ID:	554028

For anyone interested, here's a YouTube video with me fabricating:

Last edited by Henrik; August 24, 2018, 05:00 AM.

Nicely done. You make that look way too easy. Skillz!

Comment

Great tutorial Henrik. Always great to see what you are up to.

On most of my trailer pits I add a hotplate on top out of 3/16" 2 functions: Hot plate for onions, bell peppers or pulled pork buns. 2./ Raises the firebox for ground clearance.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Great looking smoker! Could you just explain how adding a hot plate raises ground clearance? It could be I'm just thick, but I don't get it. Or do you mean you physically move the firebox up for ground clearance?

• Steve R.
        Steve R. commented
        Editing a comment
        I had the same question.

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        I use propane tanks for these and cut out the upper part of the tank (firebox) so I can physical move the firebox up without it being to high on the pit.

Nice skills you got there. Wish I had the ability to do such things. On both my offsets, excuse me on my one offset (sold the other one last week) the top of the fire box is also a door. So nice loading wood in from the top instead of the side. I have propane burners mounted on the trailer for warming things.

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Propane burners sounds nice! I need to be able to run the smoker anywhere without electricity, so that would work well for me too.

• Frozen Smoke
        Frozen Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Same here Henrik I need to be able to run without power when I do weddings and other events. I invested in a propane run 3 bay steam table a few years ago. Best investment I have made. I never have to deal with multiple roasting pans and how I’m going to power them in order to keep food warm for serving.
        I’ll be using it tomorrow in fact at a outdoor wedding.

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        Very cool, Frozen Smoke, kick some (pork) butt at that wedding!

Thanx Henrik. A fun video.

Comment

Rude Boy gets an upgrade...nice !!!

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20180727_072354.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	189.5 KB
ID:	554193
          Open the firebox lid and there's grooves in which to slide a grate or the steel plate (20" x 20"). The lid can still be closed. It occurred to me to use the plate to pre-sear a twenty pound ribeye roast (cooled to about 36F to prevent any greying below the crust). Also, with the plate in, all the heat goes into the smoke boxes...I've got the first two boxes up to 550F...lit off the accumulated grease one time and had flames coming out the stack (Holy *&$#!)...closed it all off and got away in case it might explode.

Comment

Awesome Henrik. I must say, I would be a little nervous taking a grinder too the top of my firebox! That was a little hard to watch. LOL.

Nice work brother!

Comment

• Henrik
              Henrik commented
              Editing a comment
              Thanks! Well, I built it, so I knew the construction inside out. If I had bought a commercial one? Then I’d be nervous too :-)

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              Touche! Henrik

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here