Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

lighting uds advice pls

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

lighting uds advice pls

Had this built about a month an getting some decent food so far .
    still need tinkering about looking for tips on lightning it as atm I'm lightning half a chimney an spreading across the top seems to run a bit high temp I have about 3 inches of air flow under the fire basket
    Attached Files

here's the basket
    Attached Files

Comment

here's my drum sry for the mutiple posts but couldn't see to do it in one
      Attached Files

Comment

Nice looking drum! Chunk runs hot. Have you tried starting less? With my PBC I leave a hole in the center of the charcoal in the basket and dump the hot ones into the hole.

Comment

Nice cooker and you finally solved the "The Best Beer" question effectively ending all arguements. 😀

For 6 - 8 hour cooks I use the Soo's donut method. I have been starting with a full unlit chimney starter in the basket. Make a fairly large hole, in the center, like a donut in the charcoal pile. Then I fill the chimney starter up again and light this batch. When they are fully lit I pour them into the hollowed out center of the unlit charcoal in the basket. Place my wood chunks all around the unlit and lit charcoal.

Let it run for a bit so things settle down, maybe 30 minutes or so. I find that it does run hot especially in the beginning. You have to fiddle with the temp for the first hour or so. Don't worry about temps spiking as high as 280 just try to keep it between 225 - 250.

I having been thinking about reducing my lit charcoal to 3/4 chimney to reduce the high temps in the beginning of the cook. Things tend to cook quicker in my drum so I hoping I still won't have to add charcoal tondo things like ribs and cuckies.

I start with a fully lit full chimney for chicken.

Experiment and have fun!

Click image for larger version

Name:	wsm-charcoal-options.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	31.4 KB
ID:	550502

Comment

By spreading the lit coals out you are lighting too many coals. Most here with a drum style smoker pour the lit coals in the center so that the rest of the coals light slowly.

Edit to add that I must type really slow 'cause there were no replies when I opened this thread...
            Last edited by RonB; August 18, 2018, 06:17 AM.

Comment

• Mudkat
              Mudkat commented
              Editing a comment
              That's the beauty of this place. Not only do you get a response in short order, you get many! At least we're all saying the same thing! 😃

Thanks guys will give it a try makes sense what your saying
            ​​​​​

Comment

You might also try the modified PBC lighting method that Katherine fzxdoc has perfected. Fill your basket to the top with charcoal. Remove 40 briquettes and put them in your chimney lighter. Use paper or cubes and let them burn for 10 minutes if not in high altitude or 15 minutes if you live in the mountains. Dump them in your basket of charcoal (spread them out with the rebar) in the barrel with lid off and rebar out. Burn for 10 minutes. Now put in rebar and put on lid and let them burn another 10 minutes.
              with the PBC this provides a very predictable start tempature and it also good consistent cooking temperature. This has been dubbed the 10-10-10 or 15-10-10 method in the pit.
              Also I love the paint job on your smoker!
              Last edited by jecucolo; August 18, 2018, 09:51 AM.

Comment

• Bigdave72
                Bigdave72 commented
                Editing a comment
                Cheers bud was fun making it
                Last edited by Bigdave72; August 18, 2018, 12:08 PM.

Cooking about 35 pounds of pork on my ugly drum. I poor bag of charcoal in my basket dig out the center and use half Chimney and pour in the middle put a couple of chunks of smoking wood half on the middle half an hour then I just adjust my air as needed
              Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here