Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Oil tank smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oil tank smoker

Have any of ya'll made a smoker out of a 250 gallon oil tank before? I have a buddy willing to give me 2 250 gallon oil tanks for free along with a boat trailer for $200 for the frame and some 55 gallon oil drums to use as the firebox. Any advice on that? Is a 55 gallon drum going to be big enough and provide enough airflow to keep a hot enough fire?

Well there is this:

But hey... to each their own.

Comment

Using the drum as a firebox may have issues. the drum is very thin and will not hold up for long in that heat.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
        Mr. Bones commented
        Editing a comment
        Absolutely. It will burn out, in this scenario.

Go for it! Two things to check first:

1. has there been any oil in them before? If so, a big no no.

2. The drums are too thin. See if you can find/build something thicker.

Comment

I'm working on my second one right now. I know at least 3 of the many bbq spots around here actually use them for commercial use, and yes the y have had fuel oil in them at one time. Just make sure to burn two long and hot burns in it before moving on. I recommend sand blasting as well. You'll definitely want a better firebox than a drum though, unless you want to change it out every other year. I also recommend insulation around the chamber, the metal is usually pretty thin, i use regular housing insulation on the outside, at least 1/4 inch steel for baffle plates, and use fire bricks in the bottom. They are awesome, very spacious and efficient if you build them right.

Comment

Take a look at smokerbuilder.com Lots of great ideas there. My opinion is also that the 55 gal drums are not heavy enough for a fire box. Also it would be too large. I have cooked on several smokers made from fuel oil drums built in horizontal and vertical configuration. Both work if set up correctly. Good luck and have fun!

Comment

You may have seen this already, but if not it might give you some ideas of what you can do. The 55 gallon drums will give you probelms too. http://www.pbs.org/food/features/bbq...de-4-the-pits/

Comment

That used to be the pit of choice here in Houston back in the day. It was either that, a Weber kettle or a thick walled pipe stick burner. That pretty much were your choices. I never made one out of a 55 gallon drum but made a couple out of 36" heavy walled pipe I picked up from the refineries. Those made great smokers !!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here