Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

All wood butt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All wood butt

I have been asked to cook for a rather large gathering on Labor Day Weekend. The hosts requested pork butts and briskets for 80 people. I always like to do brisket on my home built and use all oak for the cook. I was wondering how pork would hold up to all that powerful oak smoke so I did a test over the weekend. The results were smokier than my normal charcoal and apple wood cooks, but I really liked it. My wife from time to time will say something was "too smokey" but she also like it. It looks like I'll be able to cook all 60# at the same time/temps/and fuel. I only wrapped and cambro'd this guy because he was done a little early. Anyone else skip the charcoal from time to time?

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0875.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	106.0 KB
ID:	544556Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1857.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	159.4 KB
ID:	544555

Pork shoulder will be just fine with Oak. I do it all the time and I LOVE pork that is smoked with oak. Normally, I like to use cherry for butts, but oak is just fine for me. Just make sure it burns clean and hot and you will be just fine.

Comment

Maintaining a good hot-burning fire is the key. Oak is the wood I would choose if I could only have one, but a mix of red oak and black cherry is awesome.

Comment

When using my LSG offset I only use oak and cherry wood splits. And always turn out a great product.
      As Spinaker said "you will be just fine".

Comment

• Steve B
        Steve B commented
        Editing a comment
        Oh btw nice looking butt.

Agree on oak. As a species it burns the hottest of all the hardwoods. As was said, the key is to knock down the smoke and start that thin blue rolling. Next, try mesquite on those briskets.....once you go you never go back !!!

Comment

• JGo37
        JGo37 commented
        Editing a comment
        I love mesquite on beef, but haven't tried it with pork because of it's strength. I've been using lighter woods with a maple rub for pork, which is where my porcine flavor happiness is sitting right now.

Red and sometimes white oak are my primary woods. I think oak is one of the more mild smoking woods compared to mesquite or hickory. It burns hot and long and clean with little ash left over. I have smoked hundreds of pounds of butts in just oak and it turns out awesome. Same with briskets. I use apple when I can find it or cherry but I'm perfectly happy using 100% oak 100% of the time I think it should be considered the preferred wood for stick burners!

Comment

• EdF
        EdF commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm an oak fan, too!

Oak will be good, as most others have advised. Good looking cooker too!

Comment

Fantastic Job, made me wanna tear right into that delicious lookin butt!!!!

Hard to tell from yer great pic; what'd that one weigh in at? Looks ~6#-ish, eyeball guesstimate, vs th sheeetpan...jus curious.

Love yer smoker setup; I need to find summat similar, so I can take my show on th road!!!!!
        Last edited by Mr. Bones; August 7, 2018, 04:37 PM.

Comment

• Bob's BBQ
          Bob's BBQ commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Bones! Butt was about 8# out of the package. Thanks on the smoker - it was an awesome fun project. It's a 200 gallon propane tank, and a 100# acetylene tank. The big tank is 3/8' thick, holds temps real nice.

I typically use either all oak or all ash for larger cooks like that, sometimes half & half. If you leave the butts whole there'll be less surface area for smoke/bark formation, making it a bit more mild in the mix than if they were smaller. Me, I like the stronger smoke flavor in the finished pulled product, so I cut my butts to 3-5lb hunks usually.

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          I was referring to a particularly famous song from "This is Spinal Tap". If you've never seen it, you should - it's hilarious. A few years ago, the guy who wrote the song appeared at the Berklee Performance Center in Boston, and there were over 100 bass players in the audience to help perform the song.

• Troutman
          Troutman commented
          Editing a comment
          Yep pork, definitely referring to pork .......

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Great repartee Troutman !

Thanks for weighing guys. Oak it is. Looking forward to the labor day weekend cook. I'll post pics and report back.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here