Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cabinet smoker/gravity feed advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cabinet smoker/gravity feed advice

Need some advice, I scored an old hot holding cabinet, like what you'd use for catering (pic below). It's in really good condition, insulated fairly well, though I'd probably add on some more insulation at some point. I have a pretty tight budget, but I would like to turn this into a solid smoker, either a simple cabinet smoker or possibly a gravity fed smoker. I'm sure I can fabricate or find a box to hold my fuel for the bottom and I've found a site online to pick up some vents. But, I'd really like to build a gravity fed smoker. I'm not handy as a welder and would like to avoid fabricating it myself. Does anyone know of an affordable charcoal feed tube or kit that I can add onto it the cabinet? Anyone taken something like this or an old fridge and built it into a great smoker? Any advice or direction would be a huge help on any of the options.

Click image for larger version

Name:	HoldingCabinet.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	130.1 KB
ID:	530512
    Attached Files

I can't help, but good luck.

Comment

Whats the door seal made out of? Rubber will burn up. If you dont want to spend a bunch then do this. Mount the entrance for the stack about halfway down the cabinet and make it 4-5" diameter. then extend it to 6" above the height of the smoker. You should be able to pick up a regulating vent and mount it as low as posible on the door or sides as posible. Next line the bottom and sides to about 24" with thick firebrick and make a semi enclosed box out of the firebrick completely inside your cabinet. (make some sort of grate so the air can get under the fire.) That way you wan't have barely any welding to do.

Comment

• Ahumadora
        Ahumadora commented
        Editing a comment
        Also you can add a thick water tray above the fire to help stop flare up. A sheet metal shop can bend you one up out of 3/16 or 1/4"

Check with Bradley for their electronics/wood feeder that can be bought separately from their cabinet smokers.

Comment

You could add a pellet smoker hopper and control system. Smoke Daddy makes these.

Comment

I'm in the process of building a gravity feed smoker, but mine is from scratch. I'm sure you could add one to this, but it would definitely take some fabrication work. If you want to avoid welding adding a pellet pooper to it is your best bet. If not you can look forward to building something like this....
          Attached Files

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
          No announcement yet.
          Working...
          X
          false
          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
          false
          false
          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
          Yes
          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here