Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Made a roof for my oak 'stash'

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Made a roof for my oak 'stash'

I've been meaning to build some kind of roof for my oak wood storage for almost a year. I finally got around to it. I built a simple wooden frame, or two actually. The roof is rather long, so I made it into two identical roofs, mounted side by side. On top of that I bolted black corrugated sheet metal. I put two hinges on each roof (to the far left in the photo), so I can simply raise either half up/down when loading/unloading. Rather simple, but gets the job done. It is very well ventilated, and my oak wood stays dry.

This is the short end of it, the full length of the roof is 18 feet (5.6 meters). It is not attached to the round wooden poles to the right, that edge of the roof simply rests on those poles, so I can raise it at my convenience. It is also heavy enough for wind not to be a problem.

Click image for larger version  Name:	woodshed.jpg Views:	1 Size:	749.2 KB ID:	495335

Nice lean-to, Brother!

Comment

I hope you got your HOAs approval!

Comment

• Henrik
        Henrik commented
        Editing a comment
        I did that _before_ building. Man, does this mean I'm getting old and wise? ;-)

• HawkerXP
        HawkerXP commented
        Editing a comment
        LoL! No just someone who has experience.

• Mudkat
        Mudkat commented
        Editing a comment
        I have been HOA free now for 10 years. Ha! I think I'll put some plastic animals and birds over by my abandoned vehicles and refrigerators. Yuck yuck yuck! 😃

Thanks for reminding me. I have a similar setup that I need to address. Half of my wood is under the tarp. Not much air flow. Nice job. Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	113.6 KB
ID:	495428

Comment

My wood pile is getting soaked right now. I cheat if I want to dry it. I throw it in the back of my Explorer for a few days or weeks. It's where I keep two bags of charcoal dry too.

Comment

• Henrik
          Henrik commented
          Editing a comment
          That was a new method to me! Must remember when I'm in dire need for some dry wood/charcoal the next time.

Henrik. I'm tellin on myself now. I finished off a poker and St Paddy's party with a firepit night.
        It was so wet this year that I loaded up my Explorer with a plie of wood and drove it around with me for a few weeks. I kept the back heater on blast as I went to/from work and where ever else.

The fire on St Paddy's day was a blaze without the chokey smokey you can get from wet firewood. Well worth the cost of gas since I usually commute in a Focus. 😃

Comment

• EdF
          EdF commented
          Editing a comment
          Necessity is the mother of invention!

Nice slant. I tried something similar but my wood pellets wouldn't stay stacked unless I glued them together. Decided to just keep them inside.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here