Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ideas for indoor grill-top smoking?!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ideas for indoor grill-top smoking?!

Fellow Pitmasters,

I recently bought a house that has an indoor/outdoor kitchen with duel viking grills and huge ventilation hood. I'd like to use these units for smoking, but can't find a lid/smoker box that is ideal for high quality smoking. Has anyone seen or have ideas for customizing the setup for smoking? Attached is an image for reference. Each unit's grill surface is 22"x23"

My trusty offset smoker is still outside for larger cooks, but would be great to have a quality indoor option for year-round smoking. Thanks in advance for feedback from the "pros" in this forum!

Jay

Click image for larger version

Name:	Indoor grill setup.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	228.5 KB
ID:	489959

That is a beautiful looking setup.

About the best I can think of - if these are truly OUTDOORS and not INDOORS, since they do not have lids, is to make some sort of "smoke dome" to put over one of the grates, and put an smoke tube or pouch on the grate, next to the meat, but inside the dome. I have a 5 gallon stainless steel stock pot that would work ideal, as it has a perfectly flat rim. Smoke would tend to billow out around the edges of the pot, and only smoke the top side of the meat, but as long as your exhaust hood can keep up with sucking up the smoke, seems like it would work...

Comment

Wow! That is a gorgeous set up. Can you give us the model number on the grill, we might be able to help you out if we have that. I am not sure if Viking makes lids for these grills, my guess would be No. But you never know.

Again, gorgeous set up!

Comment

Welcome Shvontz

Comment

Great setup, brother! I truly miss cookin on Vikings !!!
          Howdy from Kansas Territory, Welcome to Th Pit!
          Glad to have ya here, to learn along with me!

Comment

Welcome from Indiana. Beautiful equipment there!

Comment

Thanks for the quick feedback, fellas! Viking definitely doesn't make compatible lids, which is unfortunate since I'd like the option close like a traditional grill/smoker.

Spent countless hours looking for lids and domes that meet these dimensions (individual and combined). With 4 zones across, I'm thinking the ideal setup would be something like the image below (just the lids with added access doors). The lids would be welded together and connected by a tube.... with heat and wood on one side and smoke chamber on the other with meats (perhaps with added rack for multiple levels). Potential part also attached from bbqsmokermods.com.

Any additional ideas or concerns based on my concept?

Mr. Bones , love KC BBQ! Thanks for the welcome and feedback DWCowles , Spinaker , and jfmorris !!!

Jay

Click image for larger version

Name:	grill smoker combo.jpg
Views:	138
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	490287Click image for larger version

Name:	1767070_3_in_1_firebox_lid_top.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	18.1 KB
ID:	490288

Comment

Only thing that comes to mind as you pursue this indoor smoking thing, is that smoldering wood chips will probably produce a lot more carbon monoxide than a clean burning natural gas flame will. Something to be aware of, and I would be sure to have a CO detector near by when you try this.

Comment

Safety first. Monoxide kills.

Also, smoke stains. I don’t think you want smoke stains on your kitchen.

Last, if you do figure a solution, probably want to disable the smoke alarms.

Comment

Hi, if these are outdoors and safe from monoxide issues then one idea, get the grill shelf sizes, see if there is another cheap grill with same dimensions and cannabalise the lid / lids?

Comment

The feedback above is exactly why I appreciate the Pitmaster Club! Thanks jfmorris , MeatMonster , and Potkettleblack for mentioning the negatives. I didn't consider the monoxide and staining issues. The grill is inside but in a large indoor patio room. That being said, I'm rethinking the mixed use setup and likely sticking with my outdoor smoker.

Really appreciate everyone's perspective and experience here! I'll be following the threads and participating when appropriate. Enjoy the rest of the weekend!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X
                      false
                      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                      false
                      false
                      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                      Yes
                      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here