Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Added temp probe grommet to Weber 22.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Added temp probe grommet to Weber 22.

Just installed a Weber grommet in my Weber Kettle 22". It took about an hour. No chipping inside or outside of the enamel.

I started by putting three layers of masking tape where i wanted the grommet. Then I traced around the grommet and just eyeballed the center of the circle. Then slowly drilled a 1/4" pilot hole.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20171208_144456.jpg
Views:	445
Size:	93.4 KB
ID:	420628

Name:	20171208_145327.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	163.0 KB
ID:	420629

I think you will be happy with the grommet.

Comment

Used a step drill bit to drill a 1 1/4" hole. Went slow, used dish soap to lubricate when necessary. The bit has probably seen it's better days. It left quite a bit of burring around the hole but didn't chip anything so I was happy with that. There is some adhesive from the masking tape around the hole.

Name:	20171208_145836.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	134.1 KB
ID:	420634

Name:	20171208_151118.jpg
Views:	437
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	420635

Name:	20171208_152539.jpg
Views:	553
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	420636

Comment

I de-burred the hole with a Dremel tool.

Name:	20171208_152330(0).jpg
Views:	437
Size:	174.3 KB
ID:	420649

The hole is much cleaner now. Burrs are gone. Some adhesive on the outside.

Name:	20171208_152539.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	171.5 KB
ID:	420650

Name:	20171208_152544.jpg
Views:	456
Size:	93.7 KB
ID:	420651

Comment

Installed the grommet into the hole.

Name:	20171208_152737.jpg
Views:	428
Size:	60.9 KB
ID:	420653

Name:	20171208_152740.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	62.3 KB
ID:	420654

Name:	20171208_152754.jpg
Views:	414
Size:	137.9 KB
ID:	420655

Comment

Here's the grommet installed. I used the rustiest grate I could find for the picture. I looks good and I'm glad I finally got around to it! No more probe wires running between the lid and kettle! SLBBQ jfmorris

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171208_153226.jpg Views:	1 Size:	2.53 MB ID:	420657

Click image for larger version  Name:	20171208_153251.jpg Views:	1 Size:	1.23 MB ID:	420658

Comment

How did you determine the location for point of entry?

Comment

• Mudkat
                Mudkat commented
                Editing a comment
                I put it on the right side because when I cook I have a bench there that I put the Smoke themometer on.

I wanted the probes to come in above the grate so with the grate in the kettle I marked it as close to the top and above the grate as I could.

Thanks for showing that. Can you tell me the distance from the lip of the kettle to the bottom of the grommet? Pondering if I can do this on the table side of my Performer kettle or not. Might have to remove the table top to drill the hole. I may order the grommet for $5 off Amazon and mess with placement before I make the hole. I also gotta consider where I put the SnS.

Comment

What grommet is that?

Comment

• Mudkat
                  Mudkat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The WSM grommet. This one is the same as the grommet on my WSM 14.5" . Not sure if there are different sizes. You can get 'em on Amazon or I got them from eReplacementparts.com. Must have been cheaper at the time.

What brand thermometer you using? Curious about what size probes will squeeze through there.

Comment

• Mudkat
                  Mudkat commented
                  Editing a comment
                  The Thermoworks Smoke. Large probes but surprisingly they fit in the long slot. You do have to use two hands to get them in and out so you don't strain the cables but it's not a big deal.

Two inches from the top of the lip, 1 3/4" from the bottom of the lip. I just went out and looked at it again when I took the measurements. Man I'm glad I did this. jfmorris

Name:	20171209_081206.jpg
Views:	397
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	420881

Name:	20171209_081327.jpg
Views:	420
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	420882

By the way, as it shows in this picture there is about 3/16" between the bottom lip and the top of the grommet. There isn't really much wiggle room to go higher.

Comment

Nice mod and good idea. I'll have to put that on my to do grilling list.

Comment

Mudkat Well, thanks for the measurements. My dilemma is that I am using a Weber Performer Deluxe. I've got a table wrapping the kettle on one side, and the lid holder on the other. I've got less than 3/4 inch from the lip of the kettle to the table surface and frame of the Performer. I *think* I can put this modification in the area shown on the back edge in the gap between the table and frame - I'll just have to fish the cables through in that area if I do it. I would also have to drill from the inside unless I take things apart.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_7443.JPG Views:	1 Size:	2.00 MB ID:	421670

Comment

• Siouxfan
                    Siouxfan commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I had debated doing something similar on my Performer Deluxe. Ended up installing some Nomex self adhesive gasket material on the lid, and left a quarter inch or so gap for the wires to run out of. Yes, can be a little cumbersome running wires, but gets easier. And I did not have to drill a hole.

jfmorris Maybe the grommet hole is too big for your solution. I do like it but I think plenty here just drill holes or use a smaller diameter nipple to finish the hole. I'd like to see what you come up with eventually. I'll bet others have the same issue. What ever you do I think you'll like not have to fish your probes through the top or between the lid and kettle!

Comment

Mud did you ask me about this in that other thread?
                    Here's a Performer solution that works okay. No extra hardware required:

Comment

• jfmorris
                      jfmorris commented
                      Editing a comment
                      Ok so I guess, looking at this, my best bet would be to drill a hole or two holes just slightly larger than the boot on the Thermoworks probes. And I suppose a magnet could be used to cover it when not in use.

I’m so pleased with the performance of my Weber compared to my leaky offset that I hesitate to induce leaks...

• Mudkat
                      Mudkat commented
                      Editing a comment
                      That solution has worked for others so you should be happy with it!

• Jon Solberg
                      Jon Solberg commented
                      Editing a comment
                      I see no affect performance with the holes. I have some 10-15 cookers currently set up this way. Many have 3/4" chase nipples instaled for a FB that never get covered when the FB is not in use. Others have a Guru adaptor. Same drill. I never install the kill plug when not using a controller. All this plus the holes for the cables jfmorris As alway YMMV disclaimer here : )

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here