Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mini WSM, construction notes and ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mini WSM, construction notes and ideas

In my intro post, I posted a couple of pictures of a Mini WSM that I built a few years ago. Over the years, somewhere out there in the "cloud" are my build pictures but as happens, far too often, they became lost. There seems to be an interest in the Mini WSM (for this post purpose, known as MWSM) so I can do the next best thing and provide some links to the sub forum and threads posted over on SMF.

I just discovered that Weber makes a 14.5 WSM now so cost wise, if you just want a small WSM, that would be the best path, BUT, if you're like a lot of us and want to "build" and/or "modify" an existing product, just to make it your own creation, read on. I know my build cost a lot more than the $200. wanted for the 14.5 WSM. Dang it, after looking at the 14.5 WSM, I'm seriously tempted to buy one to see what "mods" (aka BOMBing) I can do to it. Need a new project for the winter, as if I didn't have enough on my plate.

First off, a caution: use stainless nuts and bolts as much as possible.

The main body of my mini is stainless and when you cut out the bottom of the (in my case, crab cooker), you'll want lots of blades and patience because good stainless does not cut easily.

Source out all your materials and get them in hand before actually starting on the basic construction. Nothing is more frustrating than to start the project, cutting and drilling, only to find out the next item you'll want to add is not readily available, out of stock or whatever.

Galvanized anything is strictly forbidden. Galvanized material, when heated to the temps we use for smoking and grilling will give off a gas that is poisonous.

The thread links I'm posting here cover many different aspects of the build and depending on where you live, accessing some of the materials will be either easy or problematic.

First, the links for your reading and curiosity satisfaction:

I was finally able to get things together to do my build. I will put as much details into the thread as I can think of. if I miss something you want info on please ask. The only reason i was able to complete and do this build was because others helped me. I will have a couple things that are...

I read a lot of threads on making the mini WSM and these look excellent.  I wanted to see if there is a thread that you can point me to that has the prescription/parts for building this.  I see there is a specific Vasconia pot, grates, the weber smokey, etc.  1) Vasconia pot - 32 quart...

I have everything on order to build my very own mini-WSM! I will update as I get the parts in but I do have a question.  I want to use my AMZN smoker with this setup.  Has this been done for hot smoking? Can I do a mailbox mod?  I don't see why not and if no one has done it I will be the...

And some photos of my Mini. You'll note that I have my Mini mounted on a rolling stand. Being an old phart, I dislike having to work close to the ground. Get it up where it's comfortable to work with, I always say.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MiniWSM 1.jpg
Views:	608
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	420483

Name:	MiniWSM 2.jpg
Views:	405
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	420484

My smoke chamber is a Bayou Crab and Shrimp Pot

Name:	Bayou Classic.jpg
Views:	369
Size:	119.0 KB
ID:	420485

The stainless bolt heads (1/4 x 20 BTW) serve as rack supports.

More details to follow.

~Dave

Nice build for sure, thanks for the share.

Comment

Cool! I’ve thought about this, but also considering the PBC Jr.

Comment

DigiQ mount and probe portholes (pair for each rack)

Name:	DigiQ mount and Probe Ports.jpg
Views:	461
Size:	97.0 KB
ID:	420491

Clamp and Pit Viper Port

Name:	Clamp and Pit Viper Port.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	65.8 KB
ID:	420492

I used a brass ball valve and stainless nipple. The ball valve lets me control the air flow from the pit viper better, rather than messing around with the slide gate incorporated with the pit viper.

Clamps because things can get knocked around and these are just perfect for the job.

BTW, bottom and top (black units) are a Smokey Joe, if I remember right.

Name:	Smokey Joe Top.jpg
Views:	408
Size:	70.1 KB
ID:	420493

Next: Internals

~Dave

Comment

Top grate:

Name:	Top Grate.jpg
Views:	466
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	420498

2nd grate or bottom smoking grate:

Name:	Bottom Smoking Rack.jpg
Views:	413
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	420499
          Note the modified grate. Done so the grate will pass by the interior rim, the probe ports and rack nuts. Better picture coming up.

Why the grate is trimmed:

Name:	Why grate is trimmed.jpg
Views:	422
Size:	115.3 KB
ID:	420500

Bottom of the smoke chamber where the water tray ( a cast iron dutch oven inverted cover wrapped in foil) resides.

Name:	Water Tray.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	98.9 KB
ID:	420501

More to come.

~Dave

Comment

Bottom of smoke chamber, water tray removed.

Name:	Bottom of Smoke Chamber.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	131.8 KB
ID:	420509

Bottom of smoke chamber, outside view.

Name:	Bottom of Smoke Chamber Outside view.jpg
Views:	495
Size:	150.5 KB
ID:	420510

Fire pit grate level.

Name:	Fire Pit Rack.jpg
Views:	425
Size:	175.2 KB
ID:	420511
            The white valve on the left side of the picture is used for the mailbox adaptation.
            Don't use it any more. The can you see in the center of the rack holds pellets and chips sufficient for my smokes.

Better view of the charcoal basket.

Name:	Charcoal Basket.jpg
Views:	570
Size:	190.6 KB
ID:	420512

I use the minion method for my slow smokes.

There's just the wife and me now, so big smokes are too much food for us. I'll try to answer any questions. Hopefully, I remember the answers, but if not, I'll try to find the answer for you.

BTW: the NWDave over on SMF and here and other sites, is one and the same character. I do like to get around.

~Dave

Comment

You went above and beyond. Looks awesome.

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Very neat indeed sir.

Comment

Awesome build NWDave ! Thanks for posting this for us. I wondered what Weber the top and bottom was and what the middle was made of. It's even cooler that it's a Smokey Joe with a crab pot in the middle! Priceless!

Comment

Great job.

Comment

Mr. Bones Spinaker I think you were interested in this.

Comment

Awesome! Great build. Thanks for sharing!

Comment

More build information and definitely more complete:

Learn how to build a Mini Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker using a Weber Smokey Joe grill and a 32 quart steamer pot. More info available in discussion forum.

Wish I'd had this when I was building mine.

Comment

Nice Work.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X
                              false
                              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                              false
                              false
                              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                              Yes
                              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here