Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flat top griddle cooking

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat top griddle cooking

Where would one post threads about flat top griddle cooking recipes etc. Outdoor kitchens? I know the Blackstone and Camp Chef flat tops are getting popular. I bought a Camp Chef Pro 90X stove with steel griddles for it. Have cooked on it just a few times and it's fun to cook on. Be interested in others here have a interest in flat tops.

Flat tops are great, cooked on 'em professionally, many long years...
    Been eyeballin' some outdoor ones, my dang self.

Comment

Frozen Smoke. I moved your topic to the correct area.

I know we have some members that do Flat Top cooking. I would love to see where this thread goes. Hopefully some chime in soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Spinaker View Post
        Frozen Smoke. I moved your topic to the correct area.

I know we have some members that do Flat Top cooking. I would love to see where this thread goes. Hopefully some chime in soon.
        Thank you! This is new to me so if anyone here has some experience and recipes I'd be interested! I will post some pics of my set up next week maybe that will trigger others to do the same

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          That would be great! I am really curious, I would love to get a Flat-Top. Let me (us) know if you have any questions.

BTW, you're from MN, correct?

Spinaker yep from Mn. 150 miles north of the big cities. Just south of Duluth on the Big Lake they call Gitchee Gummee

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          I know right where that is. I spend a fair amount of time up in the Arrowhead. (BWCA, Vermillion, Gunflint). I am down in Minnetonka.

Spinaker no kidding! I'm in Cloquet specifically. Heading down to the ice fishing show at the Excel Center tomorrow morning and then going to see the Wild get destroyed by the Blues after that. I'm waiting for decent ice on Vermillion the early walleyes were crazy good up there last year!

Comment

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          Nice! I was going to head over to that as well. But I am cooking tomorrow. the one good thing about Wild games, is the beer is always cold and the crowd is always rowdy. They are a great ticket.

• Spinaker
          Spinaker commented
          Editing a comment
          We had some ice around the edge of Tonka today, same bays are icing over at night. Next week should firm things up pretty good. I was up on Vermillion last year for that Walleye bite! Outstanding.

By the way in addition to dedicated flattops, a baking steel griddle works great on a kettle or other charcoal grill. Depending on the size you can fit it will provide you enough space to do a lot.

Comment

I have a flat top on my wish list too. They look like fun to cook on. Make some great burgers.

Comment

I think a dedicated thread for all things Flat top/Griddle grilling is in the works. Personally, I have 2 of them and am writing a book on the cooker which should be released in July. Like Mr. Bones mentioned, I cooked on one many moons ago and they are so much fun to cook on.

Comment

whatcha wanna cook on a griddle? I love burgers, steaks, hash, fajitas, salmon, shrimp, i can go on and on. It is an underused tool IMO.

Comment

I bought a Blackstone 22" griddle earlier this year. Love it. Didn't really have room on the patio for their 28 or 36 inchers. I can put the 22"er in the deck box when done with it.

Comment

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I kinda figured you had one of these.

Originally posted by texastweeter View Post
                whatcha wanna cook on a griddle? I love burgers, steaks, hash, fajitas, salmon, shrimp, i can go on and on. It is an underused tool IMO.
                So far I've cooked breakfast twice and made Philly Cheese Steaks once. Getting the heat right is what I have been working on. Any tips or recipes would be great from those experienced. First time I made scrambled eggs it was a mess. I dumped 8 scrambled eggs onto the griddle too fast and they just ran all over the place. Griddle could have been hotter too. Ran down into the grease catch and everything. Second time I didn't pour them on as fast and it went a bit better.

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Get a laser pizza oven thermometer. Accurate heat measurements help a lot

Originally posted by Mr. Bones View Post
                Flat tops are great, cooked on 'em professionally, many long years...
                Been eyeballin' some outdoor ones, my dang self.
                Tons of You Tube video's to watch when you try to decide which one to buy. A guy named Tonybuddy has a good video that compares Black Stone to Camp Chef. He clearly preferred the Camp Chef. I went with a Camp Chef 3 burner camp stove and bought griddles that will fit on it. I get more versatility this way plus it breaks down nicely to take on camping trips.

Comment

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I have camp chef myself

Been cooking burgers at tailgates for a few years on a Camp Chef Explorer 2 burner with cast iron flat top griddle accessory. Might be heresy here, but I love burgers cooked on a scorching griddle better than over charcoal... something about that crust that you can only get with cast iron.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  No heresy, in my eyes, jus' great griddle burgers!

• texastweeter
                  texastweeter commented
                  Editing a comment
                  I prefer burgers that way too. My wife likes burgers on a grill.

BourBonQ I cook more burgers on my cast iron then I ever do on my 26". I love, love grilling but I like a solid crust on my burger rather than grill marks.

Can't beat the taste of my 26 on a burger but it's a fair trade off for a solid crust on my burger.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
                  Mr. Bones commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Mebbe indirect cook on yer 26, then sear in cast iron? Lots more work, but, mebbe, th' Perfect Hamburguesa ?
                  Hope ya' have a great day off, Homey!

• BourBonQ
                  BourBonQ commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Bones, I like the way you're thinking...

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here