Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Probe hole placement question for UDS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Probe hole placement question for UDS

Looking for advice/suggestions for the placement of my thermometer probes on my UDS. I hope to mostly use the Gateway Rib Hanger Rack below to hang most of my cooks. My top grate will sit about 8" from the top. The rib hanger will sit there but the actual hangers are 4" inches above that. Of course the hooks will be somewhere in between and the meat will hang lower than that.

So I've notice some of the Pit Barrel cooks posted here show the meat probes hanging from the rebar. I am assuming you use the rebar holes for threading your probes. How far down do you hang the probes from the rebar holes? Since I won't have those holes I am wondering if I should drill at the height of the rib hangers themselves or near the grate level. Oh and I want to complicate things. I will be using just the top grate too so the probe holes will most likely be above the grate. Do you see any problems with that?

Powersmoke_80 I can't quite tell where your probe holes are. Just above top grate?

Any and all comments welcome!

Click image for larger version

Name:	Rib Hanger.jpg
Views:	387
Size:	9.3 KB
ID:	415867
    Last edited by Mudkat; November 26, 2017, 05:30 PM. Reason: Adding the pic of the Gateway Rib Hanger

I hang my probe about level with the bottom of what you are cooking. That temp matters more to me than the convection temp near the top which is usually lower in my PBC. My thought is to not vaporize the bottom meat on ribs. Worked very well with my 7lb turkey breast on thanksgiving morning. ran 320-340 at that point for 2 1/2 hours pulled at IT temp of 156. Injected breast was juicy and outstanding. With ribs i cut em in half, seem to get long ribs too close the coals otherwise and cutting too far down is just a waste.

Comment

• Mudkat
      Mudkat commented
      Editing a comment
      Good info! Thanks ​​​​​​​@Iron Bulldog !

• Iron Bulldog
      Iron Bulldog commented
      Editing a comment
      you betcha! We ALL learn here! That's what this is ALL about.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
Working...
X
false
["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
false
false
{"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
Yes
["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
/forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here