Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Franken-smoker

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Franken-smoker

I have a GOSM 36" gas smoker that has seen very little use since my SnS purchase two years ago. It has become a great experiment tool to see if I want to spend big money on different cookers. I have used a Diamond King Smoker box to do all wood cooks in it and it works great! My fire management skills, not so much yet. My latest "I wonder if" is turning my GOSM into a PBC style cooker. I found an enamled grill basket on sale and decided that this would be the week to try it.

I was concerned about getting enough air flow into the GOSM to keep the charcoal burning so I added a BBQ Guru mount to the door.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170712_170825499.jpg
Views:	278
Size:	57.8 KB
ID:	346502

I put almost a full chimney of KBB in the basket and took out 40 to follow fzxdoc PBC lighting procedures. This is what the pan looked like while the 40 were getting fired up in the chimey. You can see my high tech ash catcher made of double layer foil to keep ashes out of the GOSM's burner.

Name:	IMG_20170712_170819572.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	75.1 KB
ID:	346501

Once the 40 were ashed over I added them to the basket just like you would to a PBC.

Name:	IMG_20170712_171105452_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	73.1 KB
ID:	346506

I closed the door and let it run for 10 minutes, with the Guru mount pluged and I got to a steady temperature of 265F. I pulled the plug out of the mount and let it go for another 10 min and got to 335F. Then I put the chicken on. This is about 30 minutes into the cook.

Name:	IMG_20170712_181544037.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	346503

The chicken got to 130F and the temp inside droped to 225F. I made the mistake of kicking the basket to knock the coals off, that was a mistake, dust everywhere including the chicken. No problem dusted the chicken off, hooray for crispy skin, and switched to a set of tongs to get the ash to drop through the basket. The temp went up to 250F but the coals were dwindling so I put the Party-Q on to get the temps back up. That was an even bigger mistake as it blew the ash all over the place so I quickly took it off.

Name:	IMG_20170712_194147242.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	346504

The chicken was at 145F and I was 2 hours into the cook, so I moved it into the oven to finish off. Minus the charcoal dust on the chicken, not tasty, it was a delicious meal. I can see why people call the PBC the chicken wisperer.

Name:	IMG_20170712_203158685.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	40.5 KB
ID:	346505

Takeaways, I need to put a lot more KBB in the basket to keep the temps up for the cook, I need to find out the distance from the chicken to the coals in a PBC to make sure I have the same distance, I'm going to keep doing this because it made juciy chicken with crispy skin the whole family enjoyed.

Improvise, adapt, and overcome! Thanks for posting the details with pictures. Every now and then, I'm tempted to rescue a roadside stray cooker, but I'm never sure if I'd have fun or just ruin good meat. You did well!

Comment

Thank you! I've had the GOSM since 2009 and I've got my money out of it. I'd rather spend $30 to try out the cooking method before I spend more money. Plus I like to have multi-use tools and this is one for sure.

Comment

Great idea and execution.

Comment

Was it just me or did the picture of the chicken in the smoker look like you had just flung open the door to the outhouse and caught it in the act?

Comment

• FireMan
            FireMan commented
            Editing a comment
            Hey, it was summertime!

• Gooner-que
            Gooner-que commented
            Editing a comment
            Lol!!!

Announcement

Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X
        false
        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
        false
        false
        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
        Yes
        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here