Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

So, here is my custom smoker - and some of the thoughts that went into it...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A couple of pron pics from various smokes...

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7361.JPG
Views:	177
Size:	219.5 KB
ID:	323262

First brisket... salt n pepper only, KB bed with red oak logs

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5421.JPG
Views:	219
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	323261

Pork loin pinwheels... various pesto centers, coffee rub & sage on the outside. Oak and pecan for light smoke.

Comment

Congrats on the new beast! I hope I don't come across as a know-it-all, that's not my intent, but trying to offer helpful suggestions if they're welcome... You may find it advantageous to not build a large fire with full sized logs, except for maybe during the preheat. They key to repeatably great BBQ in a stick burner is a HOT fire, and too much fuel (too large pieces/too many pieces of wood) can make your temps soar. This can lead to choking back the oxygen, which leads to thick low-temp smoke, which can ruin a cook if there's too much. A good thing to focus on is the smallest, but hottest, fire you can have to keep your grate temps where you want them. Look forward to more from this cooker!

Comment

• Nightrayne
        Nightrayne commented
        Editing a comment
        Hey Huskee! No worries! Full size split logs actually work just fine in mine. I just have to have a solid bed of coals going, and usually only add 1-2 split logs at a time to maintain temps. I typically run this smoker 250-270F to keep it burning well. Cheers!

• Nightrayne
        Nightrayne commented
        Editing a comment
        Silly 300 char response limits! I have been thinking about ordering a custom fire basket for her, just so I can build a smaller fire and not have it spread out over the whole thing. Reality is though, I have so much metal I need that big starting fire to warm her up! Will continue tweaking!

Beautiful job! Built for a lifetime. Great design.

Comment

• Nightrayne
        Nightrayne commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks! I don't think I will ever need to replace it in this lifetime, though it would look so NICE next to a Komodo Kamado...

• Bob's BBQ
        Bob's BBQ commented
        Editing a comment
        My avatar photo is the unit I built. It is very rewarding to produce some good BBQ on a unit you made yourself. GET THAT KAMADO!

• Nightrayne
        Nightrayne commented
        Editing a comment
        I would love to, but with multiple family members in college right now - it is going to have to wait. A long time. looooooooong time

What an awesome build! Nightrayne Your kids may get into it one day. In the meantime it's all yours!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here