Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

It's a sign...!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's a sign...!

Look what I found lying around in the woods. That looks like a proper BBQ smoker to me, a little unpolished, but still! Got hold of the owner, he gives it away for free. Time to get to work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7755.JPG
Views:	211
Size:	310.1 KB
ID:	225803

I'll be right over to give you a hand, but l do have a bad back & can't do any heavy lifting. 👍🏽👍🏽

Comment

Is this going to be an Aaron Franklin style smoker Henrik

Comment

Careful with that thing, it looks awfully familiar, where have I seen something like that before.... Click image for larger version

Name:	bob-ranked-atomic-bomb.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	225812

Comment

Awesome!

Comment

Keep us posted on your progress - I know you will.

Comment

Aaron Franklin has a great video on that.

Comment

That's how my baby started. Good luck, and kiss all of your free time good-bye!

Comment

Will arrange for transporting it home in two weeks. Really looking fwd to start cutting and welding! It will roughly look like a Franklin smoker, i.e. like most smokers out there, but I plan to put some custom 'Henrik' tweaks on the inside. I have an MsC in engineering after all, so time to open the thermodynamics books again and apply the knowledge.

Comment

• Powersmoke_80
                    Powersmoke_80 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Sweet find, are you going to share your secrets with us?

• PaulstheRibList
                    PaulstheRibList commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Yes!!!

• Jeff_Carley
                    Jeff_Carley commented
                    Editing a comment
                    reverse flow here we come

Looks like a great project....have something similar, but still debating on which way to go with it.

Comment

What style are you thinking of building, Reverse flow, Traditional offset, or Jambo style with inlet at grate level and above and with outlet at grate level?

Comment

Great find Henrik ... I'll enjoy watching your work on this build. It's way over my area of expertise by a long shot. Tending a smoker is all I'm capable of. I'll leave building them to you experts.👍 Free is a great price.
                      Last edited by Breadhead; October 1, 2016, 03:09 PM.

Comment

Traditional offset, in the the sense that air flows straight through. Other than that, I have some custom tweaks I will apply. I want my offset (or fire actually) to breathe well. Same thinking as Aaron F there. There will be parts insulated, and yet other parts 'nekkid'. I'll do the math beforehand, then build and verify. If theory doesn't match reality, then redo until it works.

Comment

• EdF
                          EdF commented
                          Editing a comment
                          Agile development, eh?

• Mr. Bones
                          Mr. Bones commented
                          Editing a comment
                          " If theory doesn't match reality, then redo until it works. "

Pretty much, life in a nutshell!

Please, Henrik, keep us posted!!!

Henrik What are your thoughts on this. I started my firebox last year with all the inlets coming in from underneath with hopes of better flow and pre heating inlet air. The two larger ones coming in under the fire grate and two smaller supply air through the door frame that have holes for cross flow. My inlet to cook chamber will be at grate level and above like Jambo style.

Name:	IMG_2144.JPG
Views:	207
Size:	165.3 KB
ID:	226471
                        View from cook chamber side before welding plate in, Notice holes for cross flow around 2"x2" door frame that goes through bottom. Side channels supplied from 2"x4" tubes through bottom as well.

Name:	IMG_2146.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	99.7 KB
ID:	226473
                        Front view of air holes coming in under fire grate support.

Name:	IMG_2151.JPG
Views:	237
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	226472
                        Bottom view of in lets with 2" of insulation.

Comment

Great to see another smoker being built!

It is hard to say without seeing the rest. Two questions come to mind:
                          1. Is the smoke stack large enough to provide enough suction to pull air through? See if you can just tap-weld the firebox to the food chamber and give it a test run to see how it breathes.
                          2. Do you need pre-heating? I like the idea, but is it needed? This is part of my weekly routine of "kill your darlings" questions I ask myself :-)

I'm assuming you will use wood for fuel by the way (meaning it requires a bit more air).

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X
                          false
                          ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                          false
                          false
                          {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                          Yes
                          ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                          /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here