Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Spit to coal distance?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Spit to coal distance?

Hello, I'm new around here and this is my first post. I'm building a rotisserie pig roaster from an old fuel oil tank. Tank is upright. I worked on it yesterday and got a lot done. Was wondering what distance the spit should be from the coals? Won't be doing more than a 70 pounder and mostly 50 pounders. Need the distance from spit to coal and not hog to coal. I'll post some pics of my progress later. THANKS! Dave

I don"t know, but wanted to say welcome to the Pit. I am sure there is someone in the Pit who does know.

Comment

Welcome El Loco Vaquero

Comment

El Loco Vaquero, Welcome to the Pit! I think you can find some info on building Grills and Spit Smokers if you search the AmazingRibs.Com Site?
        You also might want to search the Pit Club for the same! I know there have been Posts and Pic's in the Past!
        Eat Well and Prosper! From Fargo ND, Dan

Comment

2/3 feet....

Comment

STOP! Do not use steel drums or tanks that have held oil, solvents, or other toxic materials. Remember, metals are not smooth. There are microscopic pockmarks, pores, cracks, and dangerous compounds can get in there and even bond with the metal. Click here to read more about building a smoker or grill: http://amazingribs.com/links/build_y...ker_grill.html
            Last edited by Max Good; May 28, 2016, 11:14 AM.

Comment

Thanks- Hers is a pic of what I have so far. Gonna blast it and repaint it. This pic is from a burnout. Been burning it out every night. I'm asking the question after the fact. Woke up and got worried I have it to close. Will be adding a heat shield/grease drain, so heat will be indirect. I'm a little under 2. I'm thinking with shield and proper coal placement I'll be fine. As far as using an oil tank goes, this is gonna replace an old flat roaster that family has used for years. This is what us hillbillies use! I don't suggest normal folk use em. Might make ya'll as smart as us.

Comment

Welcome, Dave ...

Comment

I keep about a 2-3 foot distance from coals to cook. Welcome to The Pit and welcome to The Obsession.

Comment

Welcome to The Pit Dave.

Comment

Hells bells, this looks like fun. But a few words on safety---

1) Never use galvanized steel in a smoker. Can't burn it out, and the zinc slowly volatilizes and is a neurotoxin.
                      2) In principle, you *can* burn out an old oil drum or oil tank. BUT, just building a fire in the firebox won't do the job. Have to use a torch to hit all the nooks and crannies, especially the seams. Sandblasting after burnout a good precaution as well.
                      3) Wood smoke is just as carcinogenic as tobacco smoke. So you just have to reduce the danger from toxic residue in the drum, to below what you are breathing in during each cook. If you are careful about cleaning the oil tank, *possible*. Just don't rush the cleaning step.

Comment

• tbob4
                        tbob4 commented
                        Editing a comment
                        Huskee - I think this topic is a keeper for Doc's advice as well Max's above.

• Huskee
                        Huskee commented
                        Editing a comment
                        tbob4 Done!

Thanks doc! I'll wipe it over with a rose bud before we cook a hog

Comment

And we used to wrap em with chicken wire! But its galvanize Do! So honna make a steel basket for this set up!

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X
                        false
                        ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                        false
                        false
                        {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                        Yes
                        ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                        /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here