Welcome!

This is a membership forum. As a guest, you can click around a bit. View 3 pages for free.

[ Lost Username or Password | Pitmaster Club Information, | Join 30 Days Free | Contact Us ]

There are 2 page views remaining.

Meat-Up in Memphis

T-Shirts & More T-Shirts & More
Order men's and women's T-Shirts, Sweatshirts, Aprons, Mugs, Caps, Tote Bags, Flasks, and more, all imprinted with the Pitmaster Club logo. There's even a spiral bound journal where you can make notes on your cooks.

Cool Embroidered Shirt Cool Embroidered Shirt
This beautifully embroidered shirt is the same one Meathead wears in public and on TV. It's wash and wear and doesn't need ironing (really!), but it is a soft cottonlike feel. Choice of four colors and both men's and women's.

Click here for more info.

Support ARC

Many merchants pay us a small referral fee when you click our links and purchase from them. On Amazon it works on everything from grills to diapers, they never tell us what you bought, and it has zero impact on the price you pay, but has a major impact on our ability to improve this site! And remember, we only recommend products we love. If you like AmazingRibs.com, please save this link and use it every time you go to Amazon.

https://tinyurl.com/amazingribs

BBQ Stars

SPOTLIGHT

Some Of Our Favorite
Tools And Toys

These are not ads. These are products we love and highly recommend. Click here to read more about our medals and what they mean.

Placeholder

Surely you know somebody who loves outdoor cooking who deserves a gift for the holidays, birthday, anniversary, or just for being wonderful. There he is, right in the mirror! Here are our selections of best ideas, all Platinum or Gold Medalists, listed by price.

Click here to see our list of Gold Medal Gifts

Digital Thermometers Are Your Most Valuable Tool And Here's A Great Buy!

maverick PT55 thermometer

A good digital thermometer keeps you from serving dry overcooked food or dangerously undercooked food. They are much faster and much more accurate than dial thermometers. YOU NEED ONE!

Click here for more info on the Maverick PT-55 Waterproof Instant-Read Thermometer Review shown above. It may be the best value in a thermometer out there

If you have a Weber Kettle, you need the Slow 'N' Sear

slow n sear

The Slow 'N' Sear turns your grill into a first class smoker and also creates an extremely hot sear zone you can use to create steakhouse steaks.

Click here for our article on this breakthrough tool

Bring The Heat With Broil King Signet's Dual Tube Burners

the good one grill

The Broil King Signet 320 is a modestly priced, 3-burner gas grill that packs a lot of value and power under the hood. Broil King's proprietary, dual-tube burners get hot fast and are able to achieve high, searing temps that rival most comparatively priced gas grills. The quality cast aluminum housing carries a Limited Lifetime Warranty.

Click here to read our complete review

The Good-One Is A Superb Grill And A Superb Smoker All In One

the good one grill

The Good-One Open Range is a charcoal grill with an offset smoke chamber attached. It is dramatically different from a traditional offset smoker. The grill sits low in front and doubles as a firebox for the smoke chamber which is spliced on above and behind so it can work like a horizontal offset smoker only better. By placing the heat source behind and under the smokebox instead of off to the side, Open Range produces even temperature from left to right, something almost impossible to achieve with a standard barrel shaped offset.

Click here to read our complete review

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

Griddle And Deep Fryer All In One

The flat top does the burgers and the fryer does the fries. Use the griddle for bacon, eggs, and home fries. Or pancakes, fajitas, grilled cheese, you name it. Why stink up the house deep frying and spatter all over? Do your fried chicken and calamari outside. Blackstone's Rangetop Combo With Deep Fryer does it all. Plus it has a built in cutting board, garbage bag holder, and paper towel holder. An additional work table on the left side provides plenty of counter space.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Pit Barrel Cooker Smoker

The Pit Barrel Cooker May Be Too Easy

The PBC has a rabid cult following for good reason. It is absolutely positively without a doubt the best bargain on a smoker in the world. Period. This baby will cook circles around the cheap offset sideways barrel smokers in the hardware stores because temperature control is so much easier. Best of all, it is only 9 delivered to your door!

Click here to read our detailed review and the raves from people who own them

The Swiss Army Knife Of Thermometers

Placeholder

The smart folks at ThermoWorks have finally done it: The Swiss Army Knife of thermometers, two in one. Start with the industry standard food thermometer, the Thermapen MK4, (Platinum Medal winner) truly instant (2 to 3 seconds) precise (+ or – 0.7°F). Then they built in an infrared thermometer ideal for measuring the temps of pizza stones, griddles, and frying pans (also great for finding leaks around doors and windows in your house).

Click here to read our test results and comprehensive review and why it won our Platinum Medal.

Compact Powerful Sear Machine For Your Next Tailgater

Placeholder

Char-Broil's Grill2Go x200 is a super-portable, fun little sizzler made of heavy, rust-proof cast aluminum. The lid snaps shut. Grab the handle and you're off to the party! Char-Broil's TRU-Infrared design produces searing heat while reducing fuel consumption. A 16 ounce LP gas canister is enough to keep you flipping burgers for hours.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

The Cool Kettle With The Hinged Hood We Always Wanted

NK-22-Ck Grill

Their NK22CK-C Charcoal Kettle Grill puts a few spins on the familiar kettle design. In fact, the hinged lid with a handle on the front, spins in a rotary motion 180 degrees. It's hard to beat a Weber kettle, but Napoleon holds its own and adds some unique features to make the NK22CK-C a viable alternative.

Click here for more about what makes this grill special

Placeholder

G&F Suede Welder's Gloves

Heat Resistant Gloves With Extra Long Sleeves Hold The Hot Stuff

If you're using oven mitts at the grill, it's time to trade up. Say hello to these suede welder's gloves. They're heat resistant enough to handle hot grill grates, and flexible enough to handle tongs. The extra long sleeves even let you reach deep into the firebox to move hot logs without getting burned. Our Fave.

Click here to read our detailed review

Click here to order from Amazon

GrillGrates Take Gas Grills To The Infrared Zone

grill grates

GrillGrates(TM) amplify heat, prevent flareups, make flipping foods easier, keep small foods from committing suicide, kill hotspots, are easier to clean, flip over to make a fine griddle, and can be easily removed and moved from one grill to another. You can even throw wood chips, pellets, or sawdust between the rails and deliver a quick burst of smoke to whatever is above. Every gas grill needs them.

Click here for more about what makes these grates so special

kareubequ bbq smoker

Our Favorite Backyard Smoker

The amazing Karubecue is the most innovative smoker in the world. The quality of meat from this machine is astonishing. At its crux is a patented firebox that burns logs above the cooking chamber and sucks heat and extremely clean blue smoke into the thermostat controlled oven. It is our favorite smoker, period.

Click here for our review of this superb smoker

Masterbuilt MPS 340/G ThermoTemp XL Propane Smoker

masterbuilt gas smoker

The First Propane Smoker With A Thermostat Makes This Baby Foolproof

Set ThermoTemp's dial from 175° to 350°F and the thermostat inside will adjust the burner just like an indoor kitchen oven. All you need to do is add wood to the tray above the burner to start smokin'.

Professional Steakhouse Knife Set

masterbuilt gas smoker

Our founder, Meathead, wanted the same steak knives used by steakhouses such as Peter Luger, Smith & Wollensky, Morton's, Kobe Club, Palm, and many others. So he located the manufacturer and had them stamp our name on some. They boast pointed, temper-ground, serrated, high-carbon stainless-steel, half-tang blades with excellent cutting edge ability. The beefy hardwood handle provides a comfortable grip secured by three hefty rivets. He has machine washed his more than 100 times. They have never rusted and they stay shiny without polishing. Please note that we do not make, sell, or distribute these knives, they just engrave them with our name.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

PK 360 grill

Is This Superb Charcoal Grill A Kamado Killer?

The PK-360, with 360 square inches of cooking space, this rust free, cast aluminum charcoal grill is durable and easy to use. Four-way venting means it's easy to set up for two zone cooking with more control than single vent Kamado grills. It is much easier to set up for 2-zone cooking than any round kamado. Beautifully designed and completely portable. Meathead says it is his preferrred grill.

Click here to read our detailed review of the PK 360

Click here to order it direct from PK and get a special deal for AmazingRibs.com readers only

Fireboard: The Ultimate Top Of The Line BBQ Thermometer

fireboard bbq thermometer

With the ability to monitor up to six temperatures simultaneously with either Bluetooth or Wifi on your mobile phone, tablet, or computer, Fireboard is the best digital thermometer we’ve tested.

Finally, A Great Portable Pellet Smoker

Green Mountain Davey Crockett Grill

Green Mountain's portable Davy Crockett Pellet Smoker is one mean tailgating and picnic machine. But it's also gaining popularity with people who want to add a small, set it and forget it pellet smoker to their backyard arsenal. And with their WiFi capabilities you can control and monitor Davy Crocket from your smart phone or laptop.

Click here to read our detailed review and to order

Announcement

Collapse

Meat-Up in Memphis 2020

Join us in Memphis for our Meat-Up! Click here for details. (https://amazingribs.com/memphis2020)
See more
See less

Looking for a good outdoor gas cooktop/range

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Top | #1

Looking for a good outdoor gas cooktop/range

I'm interested in purchasing an outdoor gas cooktop/range, preferably standalone, to go on my deck.

I've been looking at the Camp Chef Somerset IV only because it has some features that I like: 30,000 BTU burners, ability to add griddle, pizza oven, etc. if desired. It looks sleek enough for the deck (as opposed to a camp range like Bayou, etc.). However, I have the suspicion that it might be sort of flimsy in construction. It gets some pretty good reviews on Amazon.

Click image for larger version  Name:	91wb3yTbb9L._SL1500_.jpg Views:	1 Size:	294.0 KB ID:	672996

I have not considered Blackstone because I don't want a big griddle with a smaller side burner; I'd rather use the same real estate to have the option of 3 or 4 pots of food cooking at once.

The main intent is to use it to cook the stuff outdoors that I don't like cooking in my kitchen, either for the mess or the smell, like fried foods, and to cook side dishes while I've got my smokers or grills going.

Should I go with this or opt for a higher end outdoor gas grill product (suggestions appreciated)?

I'd be happy with 3 burners as well.

Oh, and it has to run on propane gas.

Thanks in advance for your all's help.

Kathryn
    Last edited by fzxdoc; May 2nd, 2019, 06:39 AM.

• Top | #2
    If I remember correctly, you were lookin' for a fryer in the past. If so, How about this:

https://smile.amazon.com/Barton-Outd...ateway&sr=8-10

I don't have one, and Amazon has no reviews yet, so I can't speak to quality.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      That one really won't work for what she wants. It has 2 burners (not 3 or 4), and looking at the pictures, the one on the right appears to not have a grid of any sort over it to hold a regular pot, when the deep fryer is removed. She wants to be cooking in 3 or 4 pots.

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I looked at that Barton but it doesn't do what I want. I really want more powerful burners. You're right, RonB , I'm looking for a frying setup that really works. I'm thinking a CI Dutch oven over one of those 30,000 BTU burners might be just the ticket.

But of course I want it for cooking other things as well, not just frying. Now that I see this option, I'm glad I didn't purchase dedicated fryer. I want a 4 trick pony, not a 1 trick one!

Kathryn

• Top | #3
    Was cruising through YouTube last night and Guy Fieri did a commercial for that unit so I watched it out of curiosity. It has a bunch of attachments that turn it into all kinds of things; grill, smoker, fryer, plancha, etc.

My only comment is I've seen similar rigs by Camp Chef in Home Depot and they seem kind of junky, not very well made. They are made in China (which doesn't make it necessarily bad) but take that for what it's worth. Blackstone, if you can find something to your liking, is probably your best bet, imo.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Too bad Blackstone doesn't sell 3 or 4 unit cooktops for pots and pans. I don't want a side burner. I already have that with the Summit gasser.

Thanks for the info about the Camp Chef. I haven't seen their products IRL, so I guess I'll have to do that before I actually pull the trigger on one.

Kathryn

• Top | #4
    fzxdoc Kathryn, what I like about the Camp Chef unit you are looking at is that it has so many accessories available for it, as you mention - pizza ovens, griddle tops, etc. What I don't like is that the cart is really not enclosed at all - its just solid panels across the front (no doors) but nothing on the sides or back. I guess that helps hide the propane tank and all the hoses and junk from the front when you are on your deck though.

Since you are specifically MOST interested in cooking out on the deck to get mess out of the house, I assume you are wanting a stove like this to put pots and pans on, and for that, this has more burners than most, with the flexibility to turn it into a griddle/whatever. I've not seen Blackstone or others that have 4 separate burners that would be suitable for that purpose. The coolest thing I've seen for outdoor cooking this year is this one:

https://amazingribs.com/griddle-gril...mbo-deep-fryer

But even if not using the optional deep fryer, that only gives you 2 burners, and they are probably too close together to do something like use two stockpots at once.

I'll keep an eye out, but so far what you have found seems to be the best 4 burner outdoor stove replacement that I've come across.

Comment

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      Damn! Why did I open your link.

• Top | #5
    I have an older Camp Chef 3-burner that we use for the same purpose. It is very "camp-out" looking and probably wouldn't look at home in a nice patio setting. However, it functions well for the intended purpose and I'm sure there are more aesthetically pleasing units out there. As far as fuel, portable grills/cookers are going to almost always be LP. Looking forward to your selection as I'm contemplating a similar scenario for my outdoor space.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks CaptainMike for the clarification. Although the stainless steel panels are not functional, I would guess that they might add a sturdiness and a sleeker look to the setup.

Hmmm, Dadof3Illinois , I hadn't seen that the cooktop could be taken off and set on a counter or cart. That would be a nice feature if I wanted to dress it up a bit or wanted to invest in a more sturdy cart if needed. Thanks.

Kathryn

• Dadof3Illinois
      Dadof3Illinois commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc I’m pretty sure the older version, pro 90 could be broken down semi easy. This new series I’m not sure of?

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I'll look into it, Dadof3Illinois . Thanks.
      K.

• Top | #6
    Kathryn, Have you considered getting a few countertop propane or butane burners and using your Summit grill as your outdoor countertop? Two or three countertop burners on the Summit plus its side burner would give you pretty much all you need without taking up any additional deck space.

There's a fair selection over at webrestaurantstore.com as a place to start.

Mike

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      You guys are killing me, jfmorris and MBMorgan . A Kalamazoo setup might be overkill for what I need. The double cooktop cabinet is $8,000+. Wowza!

I really want 30,000 BTU burners. The one on my Summit side burner is 10,600 BTU and it's pretty wimpy.

Kathryn
      Last edited by fzxdoc; May 3rd, 2019, 06:02 AM.

• EdF
      EdF commented
      Editing a comment
      fzxdoc Here's a somewhat pricey model (not quite as high as Kalamazoo), with either pedestal or cabinet base. Two burners, bunch of optional accessories, meets your heating requirements, etc.

I have their cheapest grill, and it's a winner.

https://tecinfrared.com/product/44-p...nding-options/

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      It was fun to go through that Tec site, EdF . It's more than I want, for the space I have for it. The price is more comfortable than the Kalamazoo. If I didn't already have a Summit gasser, it would be a nice fit. Thanks for the suggestion nonetheless.

Kathryn

• Top | #7
    Kathryn, - I found a YouTube video showcasing the Camp Chef Somerset IV. In it, that front panel seems to have been removed. FWIW, I think it looks better without the panel.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Yeah - that front panel appears to be 2 peices that run side to side, one above the other, in the photos. I.e. its not even doors. Not sure why its even there, other than just to hide stuff when in a nice deck setup. If they are going to enclose it, why not do it all the way, with some ventilation opening on the back, like an enclosed gas grill cart. Especially for the list price...

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      Thanks, MBMorgan , for that You Tube link.

I agree, jfmorris , too bad those front panels aren't doors. But then my WSCGC has storage space with no enclosure either. I like the look of the panels only because the range looks sleeker, more like it belongs on a patio or deck and not out in a campsite.

Kathryn

• Top | #8
    fzxdoc Kathryn, sounds like you know what you want, and I agree - a 30,000 BTU burner is a lot more output than most stoves, inside or out. The Camp Chef you already found has four 30,000 BTU burners.

I've looked several times today, and cannot find anything as nice that has 4 burners, and has that level of heat output with that number of burners. The only way you probably will get more output than that is with separate banjo or jet burner, and you won't find more than one or two burners in a low to the ground camp style setup in that type cooker. I have a couple of Bayou Classic's that I use for brewing, and those bad boys can put out 60,000 or even 100-300,000 BTU's, depending on the burner and regulator.

Most of the stuff from Blackstone is more oriented towards flat tops, and most flat top cookers, even the ones with a removable top, have front to back burners in a strop, not a round one like you want for use with pots.

Let us know if you find something better, but right now I am leaning towards the Summerset IV as the best tool for the job. Being on a wheeled cart like your grill, you can move things around to suit you as well, which is nice.

Comment

• fzxdoc
      fzxdoc commented
      Editing a comment
      I think you're right, jfmorris . Thank you for analyzing my options. I looked all through the Blackstone site and could not find something similar.

The Somerset IV has the flexibility I want; I'm still wondering about the build quality.

K.

• Top | #9
    That looks really cool! I just wish I could find one locally...
    Still, wouldn't be the first time I purchased something site unseen. ;-)

I'm gonna need a bigger patio. LOL

Comment

• Top | #10
      I just found this video about the Camp Chef gas ranges. Maybe it was the one Troutman mentioned. Fieri talks a lot about the quality of the product given he abuse he has given it over the years.

https://www.campchef.com/guys-favori...tm_campaign=LF

Plus he's using it for exactly what I want to do (or at least one of the things I want to do)--cook on a rangetop that keeps the mess and smoke out of the kitchen.

Kathryn

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        Now my MCS just peaked again...🙄🙄🙄...Ha

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        Good video, and if I ever get a camper, one of those 3 burner stoves in the video is gonna get stored underneath!

• surfdog
        surfdog commented
        Editing a comment
        I forgot to mention...I found him a whole lot less annoying in this video. LOL
        Now I’m seriously looking them over.

• Top | #11
      Seems to me the Camp Chef and Blackstone griddles get hot enough that you could just heat a cast iron pan or dutch oven filled with oil and use that as a fryer, without needing to sacrifice griddle space for a gas stove. Any oil that splatters onto the griddle surface becomes instant seasoning oil.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        But you can have a full griddle as well (actually 2 griddles side by side) with the Camp Chef Somerset IV. Also, you can set a pizza oven, grill, and other options on top of the gas burners, so it's more versatile than just a griddle. At least that's how I think it is from my research!

Kathryn

• ColonialDawg
        ColonialDawg commented
        Editing a comment
        Well, that’s true. I was thinking more about the fryer option. You can use the griddle for cooking and as a heating element at the same time. But if you are wanting more griddle space, then that one certainly is going to give you plenty. As for pizza, you could just get some cheap fire bricks and turn your kettle (if you have one) into a capable pizza oven. Not trying to put a damper on your MCS... that would not be nice.

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, ColonialDawg for the pizza oven thought. You're right, I for sure want to fry on this range, but I want to use is for cooking side dishes too while I'm using my grills/smokers.

K.

• Top | #12
      I've always liked the looks and sturdiness of those Camp Chef 2 & 3 burner foldable stoves for camping. I know it's not what you're asking about, definitely not sleek enough for the back deck & entertaining. But I think they make some nice stuff.

Comment

• fzxdoc
        fzxdoc commented
        Editing a comment
        That's exactly what I want to know, Huskee , if there is quality at this price point for the Somerset IV. It's good to hear that you feel they make a quality product for some of their other stoves/griddles, etc. Hopefully that translates to this product as well.

Thanks!

Kathryn

• Top | #13
      fzxdoc Kathryn, I only have to think that the build quality of the Somerset IV will be as good or better than the portable 3 burner unit shown in that video. The build quality seems high just from watching the video - I've not handled one myself, but the folding legs and everything else look pretty solid. One built not to collapse and store in a bag would have to be even sturdier. Amazon has it for $297, and while there are only 36 reviews, the average is 4 stars. Most seem 5 stars. I would go read some of those, but appears to me most people love this unit.

Comment

• Top | #14
        What’s your budget? One of my neighbors scored a restaurant grade thing with 6 burners (bar type like a gas grill) and built an island to house it. 4 burners are for a griddle, two are used as a grill. Griddle top is stainless steel. Alternatively you can buy the camp chef, ditch the cheesy cart, and turn the head into a built in (consult a pro, safety first).

The house i bought came with an outdoor cooking area. The gas grill (Sonoma by Altima, made for Lowe’s) was recently replaced by a Napoleon pro500rsib. But the island with a sink, a small griddle, and 2 eyes is still serviceable. I’m thinking of taking my blackstone griddle off the cart and making it a built in, the new gas grill is wider than the old one so it doesn’t fit in the space soon to me vacant. The griddle will fit perfectly.

Comment

• Top | #15
          I'm not looking for an upgrade to my deck cooking area, SmokeyGator . I just want an outdoor gas range, portable. If I was redesigning that area, then I'd look to do a nice built-in outdoor kitchen like you have for sure. Enjoy using your outdoor cooking setup, it sounds wonderful.

Kathryn

Comment

• SmokeyGator
            SmokeyGator commented
            Editing a comment
            I don’t have anything built in. It’s all on carts. A neighbor has a built in, its nice but takes up a lot of space. I’m thinking of converting my blackstone to a built in or faux built in, once I deep 6 the old gas grill.
        Working...
        X