Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ever use your Blackstone griddle inside the house?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ever use your Blackstone griddle inside the house?

I don't have a Blackstone flat top but I saw this picture and thought I would pass it along to you guys who do.

Click image for larger version

Name:	145976472_2929444593957761_2259673742818044314_o.jpg?_nc_cat=103&ccb=2&_nc_sid=825194&_nc_ohc=SiGcyvyDIFIAX_OnPUh&_nc_ht=scontent.fhio2-1.fna&oh=2af5bbc719abf19cd2286058592b160a&oe=6042D00A.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	984798

Wow. That's bazaar. But I guess it would work. Don't know if it's safe though. And no, I have never used my Blackstone indoors. Not designed for that so again, I would worry about safety. So no, I will not be trying it.

Comment

• Steve R.
      Steve R. commented
      Editing a comment
      It appears to just be a Blackstone griddle top sitting on a gas range. I still probably wouldn't do it, though. Especially for a few strips of bacon.

Are you sure it's a Blackstone? Looks like a gas stove with a griddle top?

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      It’s a stove but with just the griddle top of the blackstone on top of it.

I have never since we have a smooth top electric range.

I just see a giant cast iron pan on the stove top. I don't think anything would be a problem. It would be just like having 4 separate large lodge cast iron griddle pans on your stove top.

I do see there being a different range of temperatures across the griddle though.

Comment

• smokin fool
      smokin fool commented
      Editing a comment
      We have the smooth top electric too, I shudder to think what my wife would do to me if put CI on the glass top.

Following this. I am just not sure this is safe.

Comment

I use a lodge griddle over 2 burners all the time. I don't see when this wouldn't work or why it would be unsafe.

Comment

• Sam6687
        Sam6687 commented
        Editing a comment
        I use the lodge griddle over 2 burners as well, grease collections is the only safety issue I can think of, if I am making smash burgers for example I need to sop up some grease after 3 or 4 patties or it gets dangerously close to spilling over the top. could be a nasty grease fire.

• Michael_in_TX
        Michael_in_TX commented
        Editing a comment
        Electric or gas? I just recently found my old lodge griddle and, to my astonishment, is not fully caked with rust. I used it exactly once to brown chuck steak cubes for an Alton Brown strew. Thinking of getting it back into service. Any major weirdness with using a griddle over two burners (one smaller than the other)?

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        Michael_in_TX Gas. I probably wouldn't try it on electric for at least a couple of reasons. My gas burners are not the same size and I just try to adjust them to be about the same output.

Other then where will the grease go I would this it works on a gas range.

Comment

The grease drain looks pretty sketchy to me, other than that it should work just fine. I have a 2 burner griddle as well and it works well.

Comment

Aside from the grease drain hole in the back, there's nothing inherently unsafe in this - its no different than my 2 burner griddle that I've been using for 25 years on the stove top.

Comment

Originally posted by Davek8282 View Post
            Are you sure it's a Blackstone? Looks like a gas stove with a griddle top?
            Yeah ... that's an ordinary gas range with a griddle laid on top. Wonder how they're managing grease collection and smoke control?

Comment

• Steve R.
              Steve R. commented
              Editing a comment
              Smoke ventilation would be my biggest concern. That's one of the advantages of an outside griddle in the first place.

I use my 17" Blackstone on the kitchen island all the time. Got it hooked up to a 20lb tank as well. I turn the gas off at the tank after every use.

Comment

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              It is my understanding that most burners intended for outdoor use, maybe because they are much higher BTU's than indoor cooktop burners, are only rated for outdoor use due to the much higher levels of carbon monoxide produced. Not a good idea to run an outdoor cooker inside unless you have all the windows and doors open, and exhaust vents running, etc. I would at the very least only risk it if I had a CO detector nearby.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              It's kind of like the design of vent-free versus vented gas fireplace logs. Only certain burner types are safe for vent free operation, and they are usually much fewer BTU's than the vented type of gas logs.

• Hulagn1971
              Hulagn1971 commented
              Editing a comment
              jfmorris I'd never run any of the larger ones inside for those reasons.

If you flipped it around and were handy enough you could devise a grease collection system that hung in front where you could keep an eye on and empty it.

Comment

Only once. But the fire dpt. that showed up suggested that I don't do it again

Comment

Cast iron or baking steel griddle over two burners all the time. I did try two sets covering four burners once but it basically chokes off the airflow and kills the gas flames so that just isn’t practical.

plus I often use the griddle for things that smoke a lot so better outside.

then there is grease management everyone else has been talking about.

Comment

What a wonderful idea.
                  Hoppy Griddling to you.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X
                  false
                  ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                  false
                  false
                  {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                  Yes
                  ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                  /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here