Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flat top build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Flat top build

Hi all, haven't been on the forums for a while. Not sure if this is where I should post this, but I'm working on building a 60" flat top on a couple gas BBQs. I want to put a deep fryer on the right side, but I know diddly-squat about them. I can get a great deal on a 30 lb floor model, but it's just too big. Hoping to get a little advice on a medium size fryer, any recommendations?
    Thanks I can post more on the build if there is interest
    Cheers
    Bill
    Attached Files
    Last edited by coolfins; January 13, 2021, 01:38 PM.

Damn. That’s sick. Love it.
    Try these guys. They have a bunch of different sizes. They may even custom build one for you.

Official home of the Original Cajun Fryer, Smokin' Cajun Grill, Cajun Express Smoker, Cajun Broiler and other R&V Works products.

Comment

Nice work, love it

Comment

Nice. Always want to see more!

Comment

Nice! But where does the grease go?

Comment

Have you tried Enviro Niagara in Welland they may have something you could use.
            On they're site the other day, had a four burner propane griddle for $400ish.

Comment

That's really cool. What thickness (gauge) material and grade SS did you use for the cooking surface. Did you bend it up to include the sides. I can't tell from the pic on my phone's screen. You setting up for some venture?

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I have looked at Cajun fryers, intrigued. Checked out Enviro, but did not see any deep fryers. The build is not yet complete, but there will be a trough going down from the grease tray to a bucket. The top is 3/16 hot rolled steel with the mill scale ground off, and yes the side are bent. I would have liked to go with 1/4", but my buddy's brake maxs at 3/16. No venture, just a large family and I seem to be the only one who can cook, so I am always the host. If there's a bright side to Covid, it's given me a break from cooking large
                Cheers
                Bill

Comment

• Steve R.
                  Steve R. commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Ahhh... I was looking at that pic on my phone before, and the grease tray wasn't as easy to see.

coolfins that is one cool build!

Which end will the motor and transmission go on?

I have the largest Camp Chef griddle - their FTG900 flat top - and have found that griddle cooking is a great way to cook a lot of food fast, for a family get-together. I found myself rarely using the gas grill or charcoal grill since going to the flat top. I mostly either slow-cook on charcoal (butts, brisket, or rotisserie), or cook something that will griddle well.

Comment

• coolfins
                  coolfins commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Pretty much the same here. Have had a GMG Jim Bowie for about 10 yrs. (recently upgraded to the PrimePlus) and a gas grill that just sat there until I bought a little CC reversible griddle. Ended up using it 4-5 times a week but found it way too small, which lead to this crazy build

The small block is going on the left side, but I'm having some clearance issues
                Cheers
                Bill
                Attached Files

Comment

• jfmorris
                  jfmorris commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Hahaha. Thanks for staging that photo for me!

• coolfins
                  coolfins commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Initially, I really liked your idea of putting a motor on the grill. However, I failed to foresee the difficulty in flipping burgers at highway speeds. The arresting officer insisted I scrape the cheese from his windshield while he enjoyed what was left of the burger. Puts a new spin on smash burgers. Could you send bail money? After all, this is all your fault.

Yes! Now this is a cool build! I have a 4.5 gallon fryer and it works great. It runs on propane too, it heats up really fast and it holds the heat once the food is added.

The burner in the fryer is basically a 250,000 but weed burner that fires the heat through square channel that runs through the oil and back out to a short stack. It offers very even heating and it runs great.
                Last edited by Spinaker; January 14, 2021, 01:07 PM.

Comment

• coolfins
                  coolfins commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Am I correct in assuming it is not thermostatically controlled? If not how do you adjust the heat, just with the valve?

• Spinaker
                  Spinaker commented
                  Editing a comment
                  Nope. You just adjust the flow of gas. It is actually really easy to dial in the temps. It has a high-quality dial thermo on the front that goes into the oil. You have so much BTUs that getting the oil to catch back up if it drops is really easy. Although with that much oil and the steel it sits in makes the oil hold temp very well, even with frozen food. I use it all the time in the summer. It is the perfect addition to the patio cookouts. coolfins
                  Last edited by Spinaker; January 15, 2021, 12:01 PM.

• coolfins
                  coolfins commented
                  Editing a comment
                  So, if I were to put it on high to heat the oil and forget about it, ( I've turned a few nice pieces of meat into hockey pucks on the gas grill) it would be a problem?

Very cool.

Comment

Super cool! Yes, more photos please!

Comment

This is really cool. Please keep the thread going with your progress and let us know how it performs when you get it finished.

Comment

The build is nearing completion, disassembling it for paint. Here's the frame I built of 1x2 tubing. The grill will live under an 8x12 overhang at the back of the shop, but I wanted to be able to move it around, so I went with 4 wheel steering for maneuverability.
                      This is the underside of the top. I put 3 pcs of 1- 1/2 angle as stiffeners. My gas guy is coming early next week to hook up gas, hopeful to be cooking next weekend!
                      Cheers
                      Bill
                      Attached Files

Comment

• holehogg
                        holehogg commented
                        Editing a comment
                        4 wheel steering cool. I built a train of 8 trailers for a nursery it's amazing the way they track each other and the sharp turning circle.

• coolfins
                        coolfins commented
                        Editing a comment
                        With that many wagons, you could probably run into the back of yourself! The steering works really well, I have a long tool box with two fixed casters and it is a real bear to maneuver.

Announcement

Collapse
                    No announcement yet.
                    Working...
                    X
                    false
                    ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
                    false
                    false
                    {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
                    Yes
                    ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
                    /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here