Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Griddle meal ideas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Griddle meal ideas

Out of curiosity (ok, ok, of course I'm considering one)
    I know a lot of people love them and use them multiple times a week but what are all the meals you cook on them aside from the obvious:

Breakfasts
    All sorts of sandwiches Smash burgers
    Stir fry
    Fajitas

I know that covers a lot already but I'm hoping all of you enablers can help me see outside the box here. Note I'm looking for pure griddle recipes, no air fryers, etc. GO!

I don't have a griddle but wouldn't you use them for anything you'd normally sauté/pan fry inside? TO me, the advantage of an outdoor griddle would be that when it's hot, you can cook those kinds of things outside vs heating the house up. One reason I'm not interested is... I live in Seattle. It rarely gets that hot for much of the year.

The other thing I can see larger griddles especially being useful for is "X for 12 people", i.e. fajitas for 12 people. You just have way more surface area.

Comment

• rickgregory
      rickgregory commented
      Editing a comment
      Honestly, even if I got 4-5 months of solid use from one, I'd buy one if I thought I'd use it. Thing is, in Seattle, 90F is HOT. It's been 100F precisely twice in my lifetime. So, for me, outdoor cooking to avoid heating the kitchen isn't really a concern and I'm single, so capacity isn't either. For someone with a longer fair weather time, where it's hotter in the summer and/or who has a family? It's kind of "Why not?"

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      I think another reason to cook on a griddle outside, versus a frying pan in the house, more than the heat issue, is to keep smoke and grease and mess out of the kitchen.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      jfmorris I agree. I have a hood over my range and air conditioning, so heating up the kitchen is not a concern for me. Having to clean after grease particles floating about in my kitchen and coating surfaces is.

Boneless skinless chicken both thighs and breasts (my wife and daughters favorite), pork chops, pork tenderloin, steaks, and pretty much any vegetable you can think of. Last nights meal was marinated boneless skinless breasts(enough for a few meals) and burgers (not smash) with bacon and onions also on the griddle and homecut fries. Sunday night was hamburger steak and gravy. made the gravy in a lodge skillet right on top of the griddle and threw the hamburger steaks in after browning. Trying to think of more but I am sitting in a meeting and these people won't shut up so I can think!!!

Comment

• ofelles
      ofelles commented
      Editing a comment
      I'm sure your next review will reflex your multi-tasking abilities! 😊

Anything from this book:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B083G8QFLC...ng=UTF8&btkr=1

The author, Paul Sidoriak, is our very own allsid. I have the book and it has lots of great tips and recipes.

Comment

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      Second this. It's not a long book, but a good read. I received it yesterday from Amazon, and read the intro, and skimmed through the recipes.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      There's the instigator jfmorris! Haha. Your thread a little bit ago got the wheels turning again.

• hoovarmin
      hoovarmin commented
      Editing a comment
      How cool! I did not know this. I don't have a griddle yet but I'm ordering the book, lol.

The possibilities are limitless.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200611_183946.jpg
Views:	378
Size:	209.2 KB
ID:	863727

Name:	20200604_183746.jpg
Views:	339
Size:	159.6 KB
ID:	863728

Name:	20200604_180929.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	863730

Name:	20200518_181839.jpg
Views:	358
Size:	147.9 KB
ID:	863729

Name:	20200518_185846.jpg
Views:	357
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	863731

Name:	20200510_183920.jpg
Views:	336
Size:	175.4 KB
ID:	863732

Name:	20200510_190116.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	158.5 KB
ID:	863733

Name:	20200426_193423.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	154.0 KB
ID:	863734

Name:	20200426_194127.jpg
Views:	352
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	863735

Name:	20200407_175338.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	148.1 KB
ID:	863736

Name:	20200407_180242.jpg
Views:	334
Size:	130.0 KB
ID:	863737

Name:	20200411_182818.jpg
Views:	365
Size:	170.1 KB
ID:	863738

Comment

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Well if that isn't a convincing body of work I don't know what is. And honestly I know you can cook on it but it never crossed my mind to cook in pots and pans on it. So obvious once you see it in practice. Thanks!

• holehogg
      holehogg commented
      Editing a comment
      Nailed it.

• Bkhuna
      Bkhuna commented
      Editing a comment
      My wife ,who says that I already have enough gear on the patio, actually asked me to look into a griddle because she wants to make more yakisoba and yakiudon. Was looking at one this weekend.

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200316_180215.jpg Views:	0 Size:	540.0 KB ID:	863740

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200316_181010.jpg Views:	0 Size:	535.0 KB ID:	863741

Click image for larger version  Name:	20200316_181541.jpg Views:	0 Size:	296.1 KB ID:	863742

Name:	20191003_184333.jpg
Views:	330
Size:	138.6 KB
ID:	863751

Name:	20190926_200457.jpg
Views:	326
Size:	120.1 KB
ID:	863752

Name:	20190926_201611.jpg
Views:	353
Size:	141.4 KB
ID:	863753

Last edited by Attjack; June 16, 2020, 11:26 AM.

Comment

Anything you can do in a skillet that is not saucy can be done on your griddle. Veggies, meats, desserts. Don't just think chicken or stir fry. In the summer some squash rounds served with country ham warmed on the griddle and a warm grilled romaine salad. From Emeril grilled flank steak sliced thin and grilled beans and onions with soy sauce and hoison sauce.

Comment

• Attjack
      Attjack commented
      Editing a comment
      Just toss a pan on it if you think the sauce is too thin. I also find that the food can contain a thin sauce in most cases.

• Andrrr
      Andrrr commented
      Editing a comment
      Attjack I figured it would stay together but thanks for the confirmation

• jfmorris
      jfmorris commented
      Editing a comment
      This is what got me to looking at Griddle cooking - my wife's surgeon showed her lots of veggies cooked on his Blackstone Pro 36", and she thinks a griddle will get me cooking more healthy stuff for her. I'm not gonna argue, well... MCS.

To me it's a fantastic peace of equipment.
    I had mine for a year or so and it only saw me once or twice.
    Ever since we've become more acquainted its a cooking tool I wouldn't want to be without.

Comment

Like Paul allsid says in his book, anything you can cook on the outdoor griddle can be cooked on the stove top in pans, but the trick is, you might need 8 or 10 pans to get the meal done inside, and no one has that much stove space!

Comment

• allsid
        allsid commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks, jfmorris I appreciate you actually reading some of the content I created. It means a ton to me and I hope you and the fam are well or at least heading in that direction -P

• jfmorris
        jfmorris commented
        Editing a comment
        allsid the intro is very well written, and all of the recipes look great! I like your writing style very much. I've got plans to try some of the recipes soon, but will probably have to adapt or adjust based on my wife's dietary needs at the moment. She is getting stronger, but has a long way to go.

Look how many restaurants and diners over the years have used flat tops to cook on!! I use the camp chef 3 burner stove and have a big griddle I can put on it that can make feeding a crowd really fast and easy!!

Comment

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        klflowers I have the 3 burner camp chef expedition model with the griddle that covers two burners. Grease management is fair....the first gen blackstone was way worse. I can cook 4 lbs of bacon and over a doz pancakes in no time at all. This one you really have to keep the burners down on low or she gets too hot.

• klflowers
        klflowers commented
        Editing a comment
        Thanks. I have been eyeing that griddle for awhile now. I need to go ahead and pull the trigger. You have any of the other attachments? I have also been eyeing that pizza oven doohickey.

• Dadof3Illinois
        Dadof3Illinois commented
        Editing a comment
        No, I've thought about the pizza oven but we don't cook that many pizza's anymore. I'm looking at trying to find a wok ring and wok that would fit. Other than that I use it most with my CI skillets and my fish fryer.

I really do like doing a big batch of bacon on my Cuisinart 360 - outside with the mess! Excellent grease runoff.

Comment

• SmokingSteve
        SmokingSteve commented
        Editing a comment
        +1

• allsid
        allsid commented
        Editing a comment
        The 360 is an interesting cooker. A ton of fun to use. Not for everyone, but gets the job done and then some

Ditto to what others have shared. I use my flat top all the time. It is one that I just would not do without. Sandwiches are great. Philly Cheese, grill cheese, you name it. If you go to Camp Chef and Blackstone's sites you will see alot of recipes out there that you would not normally see. Additionally, I use the griddle often to complement what I am cooking. If you need caramelized onions in a recipe for example there is no better place to cook them then on a griddle. There is not a week that goes buy where I do not use it for something and I cannot say that about all of my other cookers.

Comment

allsid I received my copy of your griddle book over the weekend. I am looking forward to learning from it. Thanks again for all your helpful comments and suggestions!

Edited to add: Thanks for the comments below Paul! Since we are now on a first name basis, my name is Tom. Griddle on my new friend!
        Last edited by Alabama Smoke; June 24, 2020, 06:23 AM.

Comment

• allsid
          allsid commented
          Editing a comment
          Thank you for your support! Please let me know if you cook anything fun- Paul

Announcement

Collapse
      No announcement yet.
      Working...
      X
      false
      ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
      false
      false
      {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
      Yes
      ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
      /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here