Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

BlackStone griddle issue.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

BlackStone griddle issue.

So I love my BlackStone griddles. I have a 36” and a 17”.
    My dilemma is my 17er has a really weak flame.
    I replaced the regulator and hose for a 30lb tank which worked for 4-5 cooks. Also used a different propane tank. After that it went back to a weak flame. I’m actually cooking some bacon right now which is fine because you don’t want it to get too hot. But there is no way I can do smash burgers or anything that requires higher heat.
    Any suggestions? Do I just have a crappy regulator?
    Is the temp knob junk? I don’t want to buy another one just for the base as the griddle is really well seasoned.

All help is very much appreciated.
    Thanks. SteveB.

Update. This flame is sooo weak it’s hardly even cooking the bacon. 😡
    Last edited by Steve B; June 14, 2020, 01:22 PM.

do you still have the metal tube and reg for the 17er? maybe try that

Comment

• Steve B
      Steve B commented
      Editing a comment
      I got rid of those when it first started doing this.
      The replacements worked for a while but now the same thing. 🤷🏼

Are you sure you are not putting the regulator into shutdown mode? Try this:

1. Close the valve on the tank.
    2. Turn on the knobs on the Blackstone and let all the gas out of the line. Wait 10 seconds.
    3. Turn off the knobs on the Blackstone.
    4. SLOWLY open the tank valve just a 1/4 turn - not much at all.
    5. Try lighting the Blackstone.

I've had this issue with my Weber gas grills before, and it because the regulator goes into a low flow shutdown mode due to a perceived leak - usually caused by having the control knob on the grill open when opening the tank, or by hammering the diaphragm in the regulator too hard, by opening the tank valve too fast.

Comment

• Jfrosty27
      Jfrosty27 commented
      Editing a comment
      +1 on this. I have had the same issue and gave used the same technique to resolve

• JoeSousa
      JoeSousa commented
      Editing a comment
      I dealt with this a couple weeks back. Was about to file a warranty claim and then found this info. Now that I know I haven't had problems since.

Thanks for the tips. I've had this problem with my Summit many times in the past. Now I know what to do except getting PO'd.

Comment

Jim, thanks for this! Over many years, been cooking with gas for probably 45 years, I have had same issue and did not know why.

Sometimes though (and I am sure you know, so I am actually including this paragraph for the OP) the regulator does of course get dirty and can usually be cleaned. remove it from the tank and take a wire brush and gently rub the valve end piece (don't know what you call it.....thingamabob is good enough) .....but that little hole can get clogged. Rub gently with wire brush, blow with compressed air if you have it (I use an air compressor) then re-install. I always do this before purchasing a new regulator. Usually makes things good as new.

Edited to add: Be sure to close tank valve before removing regulator and hose. Open smoker burner valves and drain line. Turn off smoker valves. Turn hose valve back fully on slowly after re installing hose.
      Last edited by Alabama Smoke; June 14, 2020, 02:24 PM.

Comment

Thanks Jim. Haaa. I got your name right this time. 😁
        I will try this next time I fire it up.
        Alabama Smoke You might have a point here. But the regulator is not on the tank. It screws into the griddle.

I use the same tank for other things and it works properly.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	image.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.37 MB ID:	862360
        Last edited by Steve B; June 14, 2020, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• allsid
          allsid commented
          Editing a comment
          I've skimmed through all the comments with a beverage in hand but the way your connect sits here is not optimal for the small tank.

It needs to be attached and then the entire setup needs to go to 3: o'clock not 9: o'clock. In this position, the small tank will freeze and not give proper flow.

Attach, then move it 180 toward the back of the cooker and it should rock-

• Steve B
          Steve B commented
          Editing a comment
          allsid That’s what I do with the small bottles. My main issue was with the 20lb tank. I think jfmorris was right. I am now opening the valve very slowly and only 1/4 turn. All seems good now.

• allsid
          allsid commented
          Editing a comment
          Glad that's working and you're back cooking!

Here is a good article from Weber on this subject - it pretty much applies to all LP regulators.

Comment

Whoops then do what I said to the valve on the other end of the line. I am used to it being near the tank

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Hahahahaha. I’m used to being tanked. 😂😂

You might load up a spray bottle with soap and water and spray it around your gas line fittings to double check for leaks. A leak will start the soap bubbling.

Another possibly could have to do with the level of your 30# tank. I work for a company that does residential LP so the service techs would do a much betters explaining this, but at a certain level your LP tank internal pressure starts the equalize and the regulator might not have enough umph to pull from the tank and run a burner with low BTU if that makes any sense.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks. But I definitely know about looking for leaks. I’m a 35+ auto technician. And I can definitely still smell 😁.
            🤔. Don’t think that came out right. 😂
            Well maybe of oil and gasoline. 🙄
            And I’ve tried different tank and even the small little ones used for a bernzomatic torch.
            Sooo I am kinda stumped right now.
            But Jim above might be on to something here. 👍

My 17" does the same thing. I bought an aftermarket hose and regulator and now the flame on high is much higher than it needs to be! Weird thing is it seems to work fine with the little green tank which eliminates the regulator from being the problem or at least I think it does. I don't know what to do about the 17" but am happy that the 36" I have is working as it should.

Comment

• Steve B
            Steve B commented
            Editing a comment
            Hmmm. How long have you had the new regulator? When I got mine it worked great for probably 20 or so cooks than all of a sudden it crapped out.

• castironchris
            castironchris commented
            Editing a comment
            The new one I got from Amazon I have had for a few months and used maybe 12-15 times. It seems like on the lowest setting it is a high as the original setup was when it was working correctly. My small one only gets used when we are at the lake or camping or whatever. My 36" gets mostly all the use when at home.

This maybe stating the obvious, but you seem to have eliminated the tank as well as the griddle..........seems that only leaves the regulator and hose. If following Jim's recommendation and or cleaning the regulator as I suggested, does not fix it, perhaps a new and different regulator? (Little risk here as long as you can return it if it does not solve the problem). Perhaps call vendor for assistance?
          Last edited by Alabama Smoke; June 15, 2020, 06:22 AM.

Comment

Are you guys using a hose that connects the stock Blackstone regulator to a full size LP tank, or are you using some after market hose that replaces the Blackstone 1# tank regulator?

If its the second, I would suggest trying what I use with my Weber Performer Deluxe - I use a hose that has the same threads as the little green tanks, and threads into the regulator on my Performer, or on any portable stove that uses the little green tanks, and then connects to a 20# tank. I can use it with my Coleman stove that has the exact same type regulator as your Blackstone portable griddle.

You can find these hoses on Amazon, maybe at Home Depot or Lowes. Mine is the Weber one they sell for use with their Q line of portable gas grills, to let you use a full size tank instead of the little disposables, but you still use the regulator that came with the grill.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              I got my regulator and hose for the 20lb tank at Ace Hardware.
              I'm gonna try what you suggested above tonight. If that doesn't work I may try another regulator.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Alabama Smoke the tanks are all about the same pressure, whether its a disposable 1 pounder, a 20, 30 or 100 pound tank. The pressure is based on what it takes to keep liquid petroleum or propane in a liquid state.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve B the regulator is adjusted to the grill or other cooker, and while most generic gas grills might use a regulator that is somewhat generic in pressure output, I imagine your griddle may have a different pressure setting than for a standard regulator intended for use with the average propane powered gas grill. That is why I would use one of the hoses intended for use in replacing 1# tanks with a standard LP tank, and NOT use a different regulator.

Steve B what I use with my devices that are designed for 1# tanks is this hose, from Weber:

https://www.weber.com/US/en/accessor...=en_US&start=1

It is Weber P/N 6501, and Ace carries it, but might not have it in your local store. You screw the one end into your existing Blackstone regulator, and the other end onto a 20# tank, and keep on using that regulator tube that came with the portable grill or griddle. I've used mine with my Weber Performer, and I've used it with a Coleman camp stove, threading it into that little regulator tube on the side, which looks like the one on your griddle.

ther folks make the same type hose, in different lengths. Here is a cheap one on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/DOZYANT-Conve...s%2C146&sr=8-4

I see others on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1+pound+t...b_sb_ss_i_1_15

The key to me is we don't know what the pressure output of the regulator that came with your table top griddle is, and you need the same output that it provides. There are a number of pressure outputs available on the regulators that go on a propane tank.
            Last edited by jfmorris; June 15, 2020, 12:26 PM.

Comment

• Steve B
              Steve B commented
              Editing a comment
              Jim. I have a 6ft stainless braided hose very similar to the one you show above. I no longer have the original regulator but the two looked exactly the same. The package it came in even had a tabletop griddle pictured on the box.
              What gets me is that it worked perfectly for some 20 cooks. Which leads me to think what you originally mentioned might be the culprit.

• jfmorris
              jfmorris commented
              Editing a comment
              Steve B just let us know what happens. So, the regulator you have is on the griddle side, and not the tank side of the hose? It is always possible the regulator has failed... try the reset though first.

jfmorris thanks for those explanations as to pressure and regulators. That helped my understand the concept much better hopefully it will also assist the OP with getting his griddle back into operation!

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
              Are you sure you are not putting the regulator into shutdown mode? Try this:

1. Close the valve on the tank.
              2. Turn on the knobs on the Blackstone and let all the gas out of the line. Wait 10 seconds.
              3. Turn off the knobs on the Blackstone.
              4. SLOWLY open the tank valve just a 1/4 turn - not much at all.
              5. Try lighting the Blackstone.

I've had this issue with my Weber gas grills before, and it because the regulator goes into a low flow shutdown mode due to a perceived leak - usually caused by having the control knob on the grill open when opening the tank, or by hammering the diaphragm in the regulator too hard, by opening the tank valve too fast.
              Well it looks like this is Where the fault lied.
              I just did 3 mini runs using this method and the griddle worked perfectly.

Thanks Jim. 👍👍

I am now gonna close the tank and let the gas run out before turning off the knob. And when hooking it up pay attention to how fast and much I open the tank valve.
              Last edited by Steve B; June 15, 2020, 05:57 PM.

Comment

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Glad I could help!

• Steve B
                Steve B commented
                Editing a comment
                I appreciate it jfmorris 👊👊

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Great to hear, good job, Jim jfmorris Brother!
                Never have experienced this with my lone gasser (36" Blackstone), but now I'm armed with th knowledge to know what to try, to isolate out an issue...

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here