Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My MCS has an enabler...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My MCS has an enabler...

So my better half surprised me with an early for my birthday with a 28” Blackstone griddle. I’m sure she’s gonna regret this as soon as I’m out in the yard doing my best hibachi grill impression. I’ve never cooked on one of these things before, so I’m sure there will be a learning curve but I’m beyond excited to get started. Looking at the tutorial videos, they recommend flaxseed oil, but out here in flyover country we don’t have a wide selection of cooking oil, since olive oil has only recently been accepted as "non high faluting". I’m assuming any high smoke point oil would work for the initial seasoning? Any recommendations for a oil that is widely available?

Peanut oil maybe? It has a pretty high smoke point.

Comment

Jus go with whatever high temp oil ya can procure, it'll be okay...
      I initially seasoned my Blackstone 36" with flax oil, which I had ordered offa amazon to use on my burgeonin CI collection, but fer years, I seasoned my CI with lard, bacon grease, or shortenin...same as my Ma, an Gma always did. It all works.
      Last edited by Mr. Bones; June 11, 2020, 08:15 AM.

Comment

I use grapeseed oil for a lot of my wok, and other high temp cooking. I also use it as a seasoning oil. It's generally more available, and not terribly high price. I have heard of avocado oil being used as well. But that may be a little more exotic.

Comment

• DavidEmpey
          DavidEmpey commented
          Editing a comment
          I use avocado oil a lot, I like it. Available at Costco up here, likely there too. Hard to find anywhere else at a reasonable price.

• USMCCrashCrew89
          USMCCrashCrew89 commented
          Editing a comment
          I haven’t worked up the courage (or desire) to make a Costco run quite yet, it’s about 45 min from me in Indy and where I have to go for anything other than basics really. I’ll have to make a run eventually though to cash in my rewards check I got just as the world started spiraling out of control.

You have some excellent suggestions being offered. I would go with those recommendations.

This table may be helpful. The higher the smoke point, the better the type of oil you choose will perform when heated. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Templa...f_cooking_oils

Comment

• jfmorris
          jfmorris commented
          Editing a comment
          Ok based on that, Flax seed oil has a smoke point of 225F, so I don't see why it would be useful for seasoning.

Whatever you have on hand is fine. IMO it's less about the type of oil and more about how you put it on and the number of coats. Thin to win in this situation. The best scenario would be only a tablespoon or so of oil and wiping it on with a towel that won't leave behind fibers. You are trying to burn in hard layers so droplets of oil are the enemy. Cook on each layer until the smoke is gone then repeat. Usually, 4-5x will do the trick. Good luck-

Comment

I’m not here to suggest any type of oil....

I’m here to suggest a video of you tossing an egg into your chefs hat.....that’s what I want to see with those hibachi skills you develop!

Comment

• HawkerXP
            HawkerXP commented
            Editing a comment
            OOoooooo I want to see the volcano!

• USMCCrashCrew89
            Editing a comment
            I like where your heads at! I’ll have to dig out the train whistle from my childhood too for maximum embarrassment to my SO hahaha

Check out video in first post

I seasoned and used my new griddle yesterday. Pretty much followed this for seasoning: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5DZ_V4IYvUI except that I used avocado oil and an old sock. IMG_2177 (1).jpg Set up and ready to go. It came with a hard top, but I took it off to make cleaning and seasoning easier. Fired it up and

Comment

• barelfly
            barelfly commented
            Editing a comment
            Thanks for posting your thread! These are so cool. This may be the next addition to my arsenal. We are selling our hot tub so it’s opening up space on the patio! MCS.......

• ofelles
            ofelles commented
            Editing a comment
            barelfly be afraid!

See if you can get some Mobil Jet II from the fly boys. LoL! sorry really can't help.

Comment

I ended up finding some grape seed oil for not an arm and leg here locally. Wish me luck folks! Thanks for the guidance!
            Attached Files

Comment

• USMCCrashCrew89
              Editing a comment
              Yeah it runs right down the middle of the street! But only a few boxcars a month go to a local book printing factory. The city is supposed to be buying it out and putting in a walking trail so I better get my practice in for the future crowds.

• HawkerXP
              HawkerXP commented
              Editing a comment
              How cool would that be..stir fry, bacon egg and cheese sandwiches, all while out for a stroll. Sweet!

• fzxdoc
              fzxdoc commented
              Editing a comment
              Sharp eyes, HawkerXP .

Kathryn

Peanut Oil is what I use. Nice high smoke point and pretty healthy. Just make sure if any one is allergic to peanuts. Avocado Oil is also good, but I can't use it because it affects my blood thinner medication levels.

Whatever you use, remember, Thin is In!

Comment

Dang these posts! Showed my wife these at Cabela’s today....she said oh, that can be your Father’s Day gift.

it’s getting worse. The MCS......it is strong in this one....

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here