Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Interested in Little Griddle Professional Stainless Steel Griddle For BBQ Grills - Large Little Griddle ID # 2872454 Model # GQ230

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interested in Little Griddle Professional Stainless Steel Griddle For BBQ Grills - Large Little Griddle ID # 2872454 Model # GQ230

My wife and I are interested in putting a nice griddle on the back porch mainly to fry outside and entertain. She is interested in the Blackstone 4 burner, which she says will replace our (I think nice) 8 year old Canadian made Broil-Mate 4 burner gasser. Can the griddle be removed and the Blackstone used as a gasser? Is it good at that? Is removing the griddle and re-installing it a PITA?

I see no reason to dump a nice gasser and have found a Little Griddle brand griddle at BBQ Guys which will sit directly on our cook grates and fit like it was made for it. Yes, we could get both the Blackstone and the Broil-Mate on the back porch but room is running out and we don't want to crowd the porch too much. The Little Griddle is made to sit on a gasser so at about $135 the price is appealing as well.

You can see the griddle here:
    https://www.bbqguys.com/little-gridd...-large#reviews

I am looking for thoughts and suggestions hopefully based on some experience with griddles. As well as with the Blackstone and its use as a griddle as well as a gas grill and if you have experience with the Little Griddle, that would be great as well!

Thanks to everyone in advance!

I know there are a few folks here with the Little Griddle who use it and like it, I just cannot remember who right now. It is on my wish list to have for my gas grill at some point. Another one that came up recently is made by steelmadeusa.com - someone here was discussing it recently. It has no grease management, and relies on the grease to run off into the grill's internal collection system. I think the Little Griddle you have to sop up the grease with some paper towels if the trough at the front starts filling up. That is about the only negative I can think of over a standalone griddle.

Most of the Blackstone griddles are not really removable, and it cannot be converted into a grill. Campchef on the other hand makes some models like that. Their 4 burner flat top has a removable flat top, and comes with heat shields to protect the burners, and grill grates for grilling. Just be aware though, that you are grilling on a grill without a lid. So in my opinion, as a grill, they will be very sub par to your Broil King, as a lot of times, you need to close the lid to retain heat for things you are cooking, especially thicker cuts, like whole or half chickens.

I've been gridding a LOT on my Weber 4 burner gas grill, using the flat side of my Grillgrates - I have a full replacement set. Aside from the holes, they are great. I can griddle bacon, sausage, and make smash burgers. About the only thing I cannot do is eggs or pancakes, due to the holes, so I've just been putting a cast iron skillet on the grill for those items. I've thought about getting some of the griddle panels that the Grillgrates folks sell just for that purpose.

Right now, if I wanted a flat top, I would look hard at the Camp Chef 16" stoves. They have round burners, which means you can cook on them with regular pots and pans, and they have a full line of griddles, grill boxes, pizza ovens and such that work on the stoves.

So, if I had to summarize my rambling it would be this:

1. The Little Griddle should work well - you just have to have paper towels and a trash can to dispose of grease, if the griddle trough fills up. Grillgrates griddle panels are also an option, if you think your Broil King's grease collection system can handle things.
    2. A regular Blackstone 4 burner is not convertible to a grill.
    3. Even the Campchef 4 burner that coverts to a grill is really only good for grilling "flat" cuts of meat, since you don't have a lid.
    4. Look at the Campchef 16" stoves and all the accessories for them.

Comment

I had the same dilemma and got the little griddle as my solution. It was just okay. I ended up finding a used blackstone griddle on craigslist and haven't used the little griddle since.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
        Alabama Smoke commented
        Editing a comment
        Would you mind giving me your reasons you like the Blackstone much more than the little griddle? I would appreciate it and thanks.

• JPGators17
        JPGators17 commented
        Editing a comment
        First thing is the size. The little griddle is just that, pretty little. So depending on how many people you're cooking for, and what you're cooking, it can be limiting. I think the LG is steel, whereas I also prefer the cast iron top on the Blackstone. The LG has a grease trough that you have to use papertowels in, whereas the Blackstone models all have a grease catching mechanism of some kind. The LG definitely isn't bad, it's like any accessory, just an accessory, not the real deal.

• JPGators17
        JPGators17 commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll also say that I didn't replace my gasser, the LG and the Blackstone were additions to the fleet, so I didn't have to make the same choice as you.

I found a used Blaze 4 burner gas grill, had a "GriddleMaster" griddle top made for it and like the way it works. You can remove the griddle top and put the original grills back in at any time without too much fuss. I understand they can make them for almost any grill.

Comment

Originally posted by jfmorris View Post
        I know there are a few folks here with the Little Griddle who use it and like it, I just cannot remember who right now. It is on my wish list to have for my gas grill at some point. Another one that came up recently is made by steelmadeusa.com - someone here was discussing it recently. It has no grease management, and relies on the grease to run off into the grill's internal collection system. I think the Little Griddle you have to sop up the grease with some paper towels if the trough at the front starts filling up. That is about the only negative I can think of over a standalone griddle.

Most of the Blackstone griddles are not really removable, and it cannot be converted into a grill. Campchef on the other hand makes some models like that. Their 4 burner flat top has a removable flat top, and comes with heat shields to protect the burners, and grill grates for grilling. Just be aware though, that you are grilling on a grill without a lid. So in my opinion, as a grill, they will be very sub par to your Broil King, as a lot of times, you need to close the lid to retain heat for things you are cooking, especially thicker cuts, like whole or half chickens.

I've been gridding a LOT on my Weber 4 burner gas grill, using the flat side of my Grillgrates - I have a full replacement set. Aside from the holes, they are great. I can griddle bacon, sausage, and make smash burgers. About the only thing I cannot do is eggs or pancakes, due to the holes, so I've just been putting a cast iron skillet on the grill for those items. I've thought about getting some of the griddle panels that the Grillgrates folks sell just for that purpose.

Right now, if I wanted a flat top, I would look hard at the Camp Chef 16" stoves. They have round burners, which means you can cook on them with regular pots and pans, and they have a full line of griddles, grill boxes, pizza ovens and such that work on the stoves.

So, if I had to summarize my rambling it would be this:

1. The Little Griddle should work well - you just have to have paper towels and a trash can to dispose of grease, if the griddle trough fills up. Grillgrates griddle panels are also an option, if you think your Broil King's grease collection system can handle things.
        2. A regular Blackstone 4 burner is not convertible to a grill.
        3. Even the Campchef 4 burner that coverts to a grill is really only good for grilling "flat" cuts of meat, since you don't have a lid.
        4. Look at the Campchef 16" stoves and all the accessories for them.
        Very in depth information and interesting comments! Thanks for taking that much time to explain everything. I don't cook much on the gasser anymore but when I do a lid is important to me so I would still need a gas grill with lid. I noted that the little griddle has a grease trap up front near the cook, but wondered how the grease was managed. Now I know.........not the best option but since we are cooking for only two MOST of the time it might not be too bad an option. I will definitely look at the Camp Chef 16" stove and accessories. May just buy a free standing Blackstone and get rid of something I don't need on the porch! Thanks again! Tom

Comment

JPGators17 I was unaware the Blackstone griddle had a cast iron cook surface. I have never liked frying on steel but love my cast iron cookware. That may be enough to make me go with a Blackstone. Thanks for those tips!

Addendum, JPGators17 , what Blackstone model do you have? I looked at the Blackstones again and I do not see any with cast iron griddles. All I see are stainless steel.
          Last edited by Alabama Smoke; April 24, 2020, 02:03 PM.

Comment

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            The Blackstone griddles are carbon steel, and not cast iron.

Just to keep things accurate, please allow me to point out that th Blackstone 36", or any of their griddles that I am aware of, have a Carbon Steel 7 ga. griddle top, not Cast Iron.

Not, in any way, shape, or form a knock; I've had mine a couple years, an absolutely LOVE IT!!!!! It seasoned up jus like cast, easy, peasy, keep it greasy.

--->>> it could be safely said that I'm kinda a Cast Iron guy, an have some flattop experience...<<<--- Nossir, I don't think that'd be no exaggeration...

EDIT: Added Mfr. Link, an Screen Cap

LINK :Blackstone 36"

Click image for larger version

Name:	Blackstone 36.JPG
Views:	880
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	837115

Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 24, 2020, 08:16 PM.

Comment

• pkadare
            pkadare commented
            Editing a comment
            There's a slot at the rear centre of the griddle top with a smallish grease tray that hangs off of the back of the griddle base. That's pretty much it. The older Blackstone models has one on one of the front corners that was problematic due to the grease tending to run down the front leg to the ground. That was easily solved with a binder clip though. As far as the size, no one ever said, "Man, I wish I had a smaller one".

• JPGators17
            JPGators17 commented
            Editing a comment
            My mistake. It seasons up so well that I mistook it for cast iron. I can hardly tell the difference.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            JPGators17 no worries, an it does season up jus like Cast Iron, ime! I'd haveta agree with yer assessment.
            Keep safe, an well, Brother!
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 26, 2020, 03:45 PM. Reason: Ficksed a apostrophe...:-)

Sorry, been chasin down some links fer ya, vs. th most everywhere else forum BS of yellin at ya ta "Use Th Search Box!!!! That's What It's There Fer!!!!, etc. kinda diatribes...effalladat.

We'uns all here to help an encourage one another, an delight in seein each other succeed...

So, to start off, in answer to yer last question... I thought that th 28" ~mighta~ been enough cookin area fer what I'd normally haveta do, day to day, mouths-per-meal wise...

BUT I was not likin it only havin 2 burners/heat zones; wasn't gonna work fer me, if cookin fer more than mebbe 4 people...if they had made th 28" with 3 burners, I mighta ended up with that one..as it was, I got th 36", accessory kit, an free ship fer what th 28's was goin fer, which is why I finally caved, after ignorin alla th $249 sales...got my 36" an acc. kit fer $218, Free Ship, to my door. Click Click Boom!

Much of th rest can most likely be answered by lookin at my posts from when I first got it, which I searched out fer ya...any other questions, ask away, I'll gladly help in any wise I'm able...

Initial Purchase

Th Waitin Is th Hardest Part...

Whew! Busy Weekend, Part III...

Seasonin my Blackstone 36", Part II

Blackstone 36" - First Cook Part I

Them provide a degree of Primer, but please don't think I am 'Th Authority!' There's TONS of other Great griddle cooks featured both here, an in th various seasonal incarnations of SUWYC on here!

Jus thought this might help git ya started...gimme a hollah, any ol time, Brother! I'll tell ya everything I know, shouldn't take too awful long to do dat!

Addin Link an screen cap to my above reply: Blackstones page on th 36", citin metal comp of top, an link to their page I captured it from...
          Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 24, 2020, 10:56 PM.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
            Alabama Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Mr. Bones I am looking forward to studying your work here and learning from you! I thank you so much for the help. Am a little embarrassed that I did not do a search before I asked the question but hey I am still learning about this great site and all you wonderful folks I am now a part of!

• Alabama Smoke
            Alabama Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Wow, I have been busy reading all the post on these threads! What a wealth of info as well as great pics! Still have a long way to go but I am learning so much and I do thank you!

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Alabama Smoke No need to be embarassed, Brother! It's all good.
            Askin questions is how we all learn, never be afeart to do so, here...
            I was happy to chase alla dat down, since it gives a purty good walkthrough, from unpackin, to cookin; that's why I originally posted it, was to help them what had questions.
            I'm delighted to hear that ya found it of some value, that was ever my intent, originally.
            Many thanks fer yer kind words, Brother.
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 25, 2020, 07:35 PM.

Will easily outlast the gasser it’s being used on.

Click image for larger version  Name:	4F29538B-CC50-4228-8328-62229AE7C79E.jpeg Views:	2 Size:	5.84 MB ID:	837130
          Of course the replacement gasser will have to be exactly the same size ...
          Last edited by Polarbear777; April 24, 2020, 08:48 PM.

Comment

• Polarbear777
            Polarbear777 commented
            Editing a comment
            Griddle Master makes BBQ Griddle Plate or Teppanyaki Grill top, custom made for your grill. High quality BBQ Griddle Plate from BBQ Griddle Plate Supplier.

• Mr. Bones
            Mr. Bones commented
            Editing a comment
            Looks Magnificent, Good Sir!

I've never much fancied scallops, (probly never had em done, proper), but have eaten many, fer a background...

Them, Brother?--->>>^^^^^

I ain't gonna lie, an try'n tell ya I wouldn't be askin fer seconds..."

(Might I beg a lil garlic butter, an some lemon, or lime?)
            Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 24, 2020, 10:46 PM. Reason: Ficksed m yemotkon code, o rwhaddever it's called ;-)

I had the little griddle. Loved it, and then I got a blackstone 4 burner on amazon prime days.

So I gave the little griddle to my dad. Then he got a blackstone 4 burner.

you are going to want more space. And it’s great to have some temperature control, which you can do on a blackstone. The rear grease drain is also much nicer than the front trench the little griddle uses.

they work. I used mine. So much so that I wanted more

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
            Alabama Smoke commented
            Editing a comment
            Well thought out and experienced comments. I appreciate them. Am leaning your way at this point.

I got one years ago for tailgating when we had morning games to do breakfast sandwiches. It did what it was supposed to do. I got the Sizzle-Q model, somewhat smaller and not as heavy gauge stainless. I don’t tailgate any more (but visit other tailgates!), but I just dug it out to practice grilling breakfast when the grandkids are here. The website is littlegeiddle.com with videos, recipes, etc. I’m thinking of getting the Kettle-Q to use on the Weber; it would no doubt fit better than the rectangle. I also think you can find it cheaper than retail at Home Depot or some of the hardware stores.

Comment

If it is primarily for cooking for two, have you looked at the Cuisinart 360 Griddle, a 22" round griddle with an excellent grease control system? I got mine used and love it! 2 burner with great vented lid and folding side shelf. The paper towel holder can be a bit of a pain sometimes though. There is a nice review of it here on Amazing Ribs. Gold Medal winner. https://amazingribs.com/grill-griddl...-center-review

Comment

• Mr. Bones
              Mr. Bones commented
              Editing a comment
              Nice cookers!
              Save them oily paper towels, use em to start yer charcoal chimleys...

• Alabama Smoke
              Alabama Smoke commented
              Editing a comment
              Very interesting with lots of features. Still I am concerned about grease management and the need to watch out not to overflow the thing while cooking........grease fires on my back porch would be bad! Thanks for commenting! Looks like it will handle cooking for two well enough, but if kids and grands are here............thinking I need to go larger just in case.

I've had my LG for about 2-3 years now and I really like it. It is on the smaller side, but I find it works great for bacon, burgers, especially smash burgers, and potatoes. I can fit a dozen pieces of bacon on it and 6 smash burgers. For my family size, that works fine. If I wanted to go larger, then that would be a problem. The grease trough works great to be able to collect the bacon fat. Would love to get a fancy one mentioned above.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200330_193149.jpg
Views:	899
Size:	115.0 KB
ID:	837278

Comment

I have a lot of study to do, but then that is half the fun and it often helps us to buy the right one the first time!! BUT I HAVE A NEW AND RELATED QUESTION! How important is a hood on a griddle?? I see Blackstone has a 36, apparently one with and another without a metal hood.......and maybe $100 difference in price! For keeping it clean, I can simply purchase a soft cover. Seems a hood would allow me to cook hotter, but would that be something we would use much? Experiences sought!

I can say this so far, I am seeing that bigger is once again better and that grease management is paramount. My main reason for wanting to go smaller is for space on the porch, but, perhaps I need to throw away a chair or two to make room for the larger griddle. I have surely never thought my grills or smokers were too large!

Comment

• SMOG MAN
                SMOG MAN commented
                Editing a comment
                I don’t use a full cover when cooking, I do use a dome at times to melt/steam things. I think most griddles cook hot so generally a lid is not used for temperature.

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                The hood is mostly for protection from the elements, and to protect whatever is behind your griddle from grease splatter. If it is really cold here, I'll put my hood down while heating up but I've never used it while cooking. Like SMOG MAN I use a dome for melting/steaming. I'm glad my Rangetop Combo came with a hood. If I didn't have a hood, I'd be looking for a hard cover to protect the griddle while under the cloth cover.

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Cain't see a lid on a griddle ever bein practical, or convenient, while cookin...as previous said, use a bastin dome, or even a stainless bowl, as needed...I have plenty of both, use th domes mostly, on accounta they gots handles, more convenient, but bowls work, as well...
                Last edited by Mr. Bones; April 30, 2020, 04:00 PM. Reason: changed top to lid, clarification, like ;-)

I have never thought a hood was needed. A cover - YES. The cook top is cold rolled steel (works just like cast iron) and it needs to be covered, both to protect against the elements AND to keep it clean. Splurge for the blackstone branded cover, its high quality and of course fits perfectly.

For cooking I use a melting dome or metal mixing bowl if I want to cover something. Usually to melt cheese, but also to keep things warm or on steam while other stuff cooks. One great thing about the 4 burner is you can keep 2 burners on and 2 off, so you have a hot and less hot side.

Also do yourself a favor. Spatulas. You don’t have enough. You want at least 2 large ones and 2 smaller ones. Your going to use them to flip, spread, chop, mix, and so on. You need one for each hand.

Comment

• Alabama Smoke
                Alabama Smoke commented
                Editing a comment
                More good advice. Thanks!

• Mr. Bones
                Mr. Bones commented
                Editing a comment
                Good words; I likely have 8, mebbe more spats fer my griddle. They's too big an awkward, mostly, to use in a skillet, etc., but are th RockStars, when yer flattoppin... 1 per hand is th correct answer.
                Alabama Smoke

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here