Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Built In Griddle - Recommendations?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Built In Griddle - Recommendations?

I am starting to plan for an outdoor kitchen build this year. My wife has said I can keep my existing equipment (Jambo, PBC, 22" kettle, Camp Chef stove with removable griddle top) in a different area and buy new stuff for the kitchen. And no, you can't have her, I already put a ring on it.

I have so enjoyed cooking on the griddle top of the CC that I'm thinking the main component of my kitchen will be a built-in griddle, not a gas grill. For the few things that the grill does better than the griddle, I can just use my kettle. So my first thought was to get a Blackstone or something that is a dedicated griddle, chop off the legs, and build that in. The problem is that I've read you need about 4" of airspace all around, and it can get really hot, in fact there was a recent post on here by marshall showing some plastic things melting on the side shelf.

So I'm looking at griddles that were meant to be built-in, and coming up with very few choices and I'm not sure how to compare them. Does anyone have any recommendations, or things I should look for? Max Good or allsid have you looked at any of these options? HouseHomey or Mr. Bones anything from your professional flattop experience that you can offer for what I should be looking for?

Sorry for tagging so many people, just really needing some help here. Thank you in advance.

Edited to add, here's the website that keeps coming up when I search around for this. https://www.bbqguys.com/bbq-grills-s...t-top-griddles
    Last edited by PBCDad; April 3, 2020, 09:23 AM.

I use an EVO Grill. I also know that Blaze makes a griddle if you don't want to go round.

Shop gas & charcoal grills, outdoor kitchen equipment, pizza ovens, & more at BBQ Guys! Financing is available, with free shipping on most orders.

Comment

I've ordered from BBQ Guys. Great customer service.

Comment

• PBCDad
        PBCDad commented
        Editing a comment
        That's good to hear, maybe I'll reach out to them for a recommendation as well. I was thinking rectangular for the fit and looks. Is Blaze a pretty respected brand?

Blaze is a respected brand of gas grills. I'm not sure about the griddle but it has a lifetime warranty.

I will say that the surface of my EVO is probably the best thing I've cooked on. It's very easy to maintain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	oL0rM5TI6z4zaFsL91tePYKFiLq7wcubWo8Bs8j3XCisGHfu8XpM8zVnhAEh03sGocu9vuoKLXVZ2ISBopc32CvHv8BFsChomQ0jljwZAIHNSETKHvMX2FV7-jhcrKq3f7E2Pcq55lsiuXK5d5YMxsU1T6A8igLjIUfPWVeTgxSy4GsQOkgh3wNKK_1MTbcl9soMfmtQwvD7E1grGju3KnM7zAyVSXSMlZzCDU0W_9FE_ivw5HGHzIHVTaEnppt
Views:	1693
Size:	129.6 KB
ID:	825002

Name:	PZGfvAo21Y_R2R95ntsUNcegbHca2llOiqxBC4msE7eh7SVxaKnMdOB6s6Okr9GtRaN7wDoQrNob6zyJmVVSyTGK4lcEZSuH6ynox0KFOVHaeqoagLvrLVqfgp_akrPGJgjSRziqlXEFqPMbEEv7SphwecfU9qW5fYsSenAg6PChV1ZXzKA-YUUfl1Z6F4z9SLpTYqPszB0QUdZGzz9e577aEWgPlVzQg4hMgF1qlbkt_oG-qhFPTWlkcJBdpP-
Views:	1658
Size:	133.7 KB
ID:	825003

Name:	DqVLDvR6MJFibkydU6T5HH4QI34T4XwCH3E3oRA4sgZ41FHH4zExb9_Ffz07pxEFjDIFEyLWr0WBszn5kEnH_Gf7xhAkskinwlf6qRIlhWh0fnksGH3B_9GxqDUcA0w84le90LXMMHwLnDOkpB4urF7F3teoAhaJwodDlQt3I94KXaZYEQnrw0xLg7qVw-TxLL1blYDp0HVDjtRgTRoFRSC5xib8JlzYNc2CamJpwJGyDGLWgBVI7_TS85GfqNx
Views:	1622
Size:	119.3 KB
ID:	825004

Name:	mpsxITzjAXpydkFNpTSteqBBokpub7WvBlC6uS4d9JVZNWLSy88GtdPXwIRUCAq4Ooa8XuXKbynF3P8SvzrSTeMWX8o1o05EQ0MUvbPsFHyQpSBHCVRXbxsahEvn6rT3VSbzolSpUeLds5iMVvmKhC-rcNQUg5S8Vmx4-M9vCV1qTM-scPIYu3WnhRAyS787-ShfwlYmoC26m7mX0FpJqw7g2ED8Ru2iAC-8cO1wp0ey4LI6XBKMdzI-mf7osXs
Views:	1676
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	825005

Comment

• PBCDad
        PBCDad commented
        Editing a comment
        That's really interesting that you say it's the best thing you've cooked on, I've been wondering if there really was a big difference between, say, a Blackstone and these griddles that cost 5-10 times as much. Makes me feel a bit better about having to spend more

• Attjack
        Attjack commented
        Editing a comment
        I wish I had personal experience with a Blackstone. Maybe it's just as good? But the EVO is a seemingly indestructible, heavy, and much smoother than any cast iron pan I've used.

Are you going propane or natural gas?

• PBCDad
        PBCDad commented
        Editing a comment
        Attjack I haven't decided yet, it may come down to upfront cost. The Blaze is propane. There's a Turbo grill that's the same price for NG, all the others are significantly more expensive, plus it would require plumbing a line. What are you going with?

I second Attjack's recommendations of Blaze and EVO.

Comment

Attjack didn't you build a Blaze grill into your outdoor kitchen?

Comment

I am building mine in but it's not yet complete and the virus isn't helping. I'll construct an L shaped counter to support my Primo XL on one leg of the L and the EVO on the other. The EVO will face out into the yard and get a second bar attached with 4 more seats that will bring it up to 8 seats total built into the OK. I think people will like to sit there and watch me cook on the EVO. They will also get a prime seat for the TV.

Name:	fKSAE59.png
Views:	1628
Size:	50.9 KB
ID:	825081

Name:	1iNqGaO.png
Views:	1620
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	825080

Name:	ATOdjDm.png
Views:	1633
Size:	30.0 KB
ID:	825082

Comment

• Attjack
            Attjack commented
            Editing a comment
            The drawings are a little outdated as I've installed a bigger gas grill and some burners. In the last pic you can see the current bar on the left side. The bartop is bigger than in the drawing.

The EVO definitely looks cool when built-in.

Comment

I built in a commercial griddle
            Attached Files

Comment

• PBCDad
              PBCDad commented
              Editing a comment
              Awesome! How do you like it? Why did you go with this brand? Any advice for someone looking to do something similar?

Ok sorry to bump my own thread, but I found another brand that looks really promising and I'm hoping someone has experience with it. The brand is Crown Verity and it looks like they are geared towards professionals. I found them on the webstaurant store.

They have a 30" and a 36" built in grill and it has an option to put in a removable full sized griddle. I have been a little nervous that I would regret not having a grill, and it seems like this gives the best of both worlds. It is all 304 stainless construction. https://www.crownverity.com/product/cv-bi-30/

Anyone familiar with Crown Verity? Any questions I should ask when I talk to them?

Comment

• Spinaker
              Spinaker commented
              Editing a comment
              How dare you bump your own thread. LOL

There are just not many built in griddles out there. With Crown Verity you show a new one. The Blaze and the EVO are the only other two out there that I know of. That does not mean that there are not more, however, the supply is limited. You could also retrofit a CampChef or Blackstone without the legs but that would require some engineering for sure. I might also add that I would seriously look at the BTU's. The freestanding models seem to have higher BTU's but that is from memory.

Comment

That Crown looks awesome man. Love that construction. There are so many great options out there.

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here