Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Caution on blackstone griddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Caution on blackstone griddle

Click image for larger version

Name:	20200304_184750.jpg
Views:	1687
Size:	54.7 KB
ID:	811974 Just a word of caution, not sure if all models of Blackstone griddles get this hot on the side, but i had this happen after setting them on the shelf and walked away , Click image for larger version

Name:	20200304_193310.jpg
Views:	1687
Size:	87.7 KB
ID:	811973

That slot in the shelf is a vent for the flame. Not a place for flammables, and caution must be used when picking up things from the shelf as they can get hot. I keep my basing cover on one side and I've learned to pick it up by the handle only.

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      Yuppers lol...

• surfdog
      surfdog commented
      Editing a comment
      I learned that REAL quick picking up something off the shelves on my Razor. Stoopid hot, really fast. LOL
      That truly is a self critiquing task.

That is really good info. Thanks. I would have assumed that the shelf was a safe zone.

Comment

• ComfortablyNumb
      ComfortablyNumb commented
      Editing a comment
      For the most part it is, I have my salt, pepper, bowls of prepped food, plates, etc.. on it. But close to the opening, and obviously over, gets hot. It would set paper on fire, melt plastic, and get metal hot enough to need something to pick it up with.

I imagine if the wind were blowing right the heat could reach even further

Comment

• Mr. Bones
      Mr. Bones commented
      Editing a comment
      ^^^^this^^^^

Oh yeah, you gotta be careful. Especially if you had a can of spray cooking oil on the shelf. Kaboom!

Comment

Sucka gets hella hot!! I bough those metal wind shields that helps a lot whoever it only cover most of the side but does it’s job.

Comment

Really? You walk away. Nuf said.

Comment

• marshall
        marshall commented
        Editing a comment
        Yes, the same as i walk away when i smoke a brisket for 12 hours

marshall as you can see they hang down over the gap that the flame comes from. Still hot but not really bad unless it sits a while on the shelf.
      the don’t fit the whole side but that’s ok. I think they are Blackstone brand. There were four in the pack but I can only use two.

Name:	E76ADD52-6F9B-4CF7-A24E-FE21109DD4DC.jpeg
Views:	1677
Size:	88.5 KB
ID:	812067

Name:	2DD541AB-49C5-413E-BA3E-AA0FE0DF3718.jpeg
Views:	1646
Size:	68.0 KB
ID:	812068

Comment

• marshall
        marshall commented
        Editing a comment
        Thank you for the nice pics and info!

This is really good info. I had been thinking I could use a Blackstone as a built-in griddle for an outdoor kitchen, but it doesn't look like that would work without having a lot of open space around it. Kind of defeats the purpose of building it in.

Comment

Ive had a similar experience. That sucker gets hot.

Comment

Like Bob Dylan once said "you don’t need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows". And depending on which way that is one side shelf WILL get hotter than the other.

Comment

That is the sort of thing I would do. They say a good burn is a good learn, but I don't think they usually mean it literally.

Comment

Windscreen, problem solved and more even heat on plate
              Attached Files

Comment

• marshall
                marshall commented
                Editing a comment
                Awesome, thanks!

• tamidw
                tamidw commented
                Editing a comment
                Where did you get your sides? I would like to find some too.

Blackstone 36in Wind ScreenNot optimized for units with hoods

tamidw here is a link from post above. Hope it helps , haven't gotten any myself yet

Comment

Announcement

Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X
              false
              ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
              false
              false
              {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
              Yes
              ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
              /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here