Welcome!

This is a membership forum. Guests can view 5 pages for free. To participate, please join.

[ Pitmaster Club Information | Join Now | Login | Contact Us ]

Only 4 free page views remaining.

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Looking for a Griddle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, given the current warm weather here in the GWN, I pulled the trigger on the Blackstone Range Top Griddle Combo yesterday. Should be ready for pickup on Wednesday. That gives me just about enough time to cobble together a hazmat suit to wear when I pick it up. :-)

Comment

Yay! Let us watch as you break that baby in.

All your gear in that outside cooking area is going to have to scooch over to make room. That's a nice problem to have.

K.

Comment

• pkadare
        pkadare commented
        Editing a comment
        I plan on doing most of my normal "kitchen" cooking on the Blackstone during the spring, summer, and fall, so I may place it right at the edge of the deck, close to the door to the kitchen, but yes, if I try to put it in the gazebo, some major rearranging will be in order. :-)

I’m a little late to the party but thought I’d chime in anyway...

I have the stainless 36” 4 burner Blackstone and I absolutely love it. It’s beautiful. I’m always glad I have the extra room, even when I’m just cooking for my family of four.

Comment

Update from Wally World. Whoo hoo! Just waiting for the "Please come and pick it up" notice now! Though if you notice the highlighted portions they still have an issue. :-)
        Click image for larger version

Name:	wallyworld.jpg
Views:	335
Size:	21.1 KB
ID:	819564

Comment

• fzxdoc
          fzxdoc commented
          Editing a comment
          I hear Carly Simon singing "Anticipation" in the background. On a moldy oldie channel.

Keep us posted.

Kathryn

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          Just received the "come and pick it up" notification from Wally World. Going to pick it up tomorrow morning, leave it in my SUV until Saturday, set it up, season it, and hopefully do my first cook no later than Sunday. I'm excited!

Went to Wally World today for the pickup. Didn't need to go into the store, just phoned, gave my name and which pickup spot I was parked in. 2 employees wheeled it out and loaded it up while I stood at least the required 2 metres away. I had also ordered the steaming lid and their griddle tool kit. The tool kit came with a little 30 page recipe book which I assumed I'd likely just toss, but a lot of the recipes sound really good, and it has really good photography. I'll be making some of them for sure. For now, the griddle is going to stay in the back of my SUV since I have no real plans to leave the house and I don't want to have to move it twice. Assembly on either Saturday or Friday if I decide to play hooky from work. :-)

Name:	itfits.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	820215

Comment

• Mr. Bones
          Mr. Bones commented
          Editing a comment
          Sweet, amigo! I hope it is everything ya wanted, an more!
          Lookin forward to yer pics, review, an great foods.
          Be safe an well!

• klflowers
          klflowers commented
          Editing a comment
          Congrats. I predict you are going to love it.

If you want a really nice griddle cookbook, check out allsid's book:

https://amazingribs.com/flippin-awes...iddle-cookbook

Name:	flippin_awesome_griddle_3.jpg
Views:	294
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	820318

Comment

• pkadare
          pkadare commented
          Editing a comment
          Had that on my Kindle the same day I placed the order for the griddle. :-) Looks really good allsid.

• allsid
          allsid commented
          Editing a comment
          Thanks Huskee!

The unboxing and assembly has begun. I'm doing this in spurts as it is currently -2 C here and I need to keep coming back inside to warm up my hands. I should have probably waited until later today as it is supposed to get up to 9 C but I really want to get this set up and seasoned today so that I can do smash burgers on it for tomorrow's Stay In Cook Out event! :-)

Comment

Took me most of the day because it was pretty cold when I started so I was working in spurts, and, even though it turned out to be a gorgeous mild day, I had to work on it between meetings. :-)
          The assembly was really a breeze and the only thing I required help from SWMBO was lifting the griddle/lid assembly on. Only had 2 little small problems:
          1. The holes for the screws that hold the magnetic door catches were drilled a little small. The catches are on, and hold the door but I'm going to drill out the holes a bit more so I can get the screws turned all of the way down.
          2. One of the doors is a little bit crooked. That really won't bother me but I know it will drive SWMBO bat shit crazy, which means I definitely need to straighten it.
          Going to cook one of our meal box meals on it tonight and then smash burgers tomorrow!

Fully assembled.
          Click image for larger version  Name:	assembled.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.17 MB ID:	821163

Heating up for seasoning
          Click image for larger version  Name:	Heatingup.jpg Views:	0 Size:	2.06 MB ID:	821162

Smoking away! The sun wasn't really in a good place by the time I got done.

Last edited by pkadare; March 27, 2020, 01:59 PM.

Comment

Just completed my first cook. Posting pictures in the SUWYK thread. I'm going to get a whole lot of use out of this thing!

Comment

when you have a chance pkadare can you show me a pic of the underneath storage area?

Comment

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                Sure, I'll get some tomorrow for you.

Originally posted by xaugievike View Post
              when you have a chance pkadare can you show me a pic of the underneath storage area?
              Sorry for the delay but the weather simply hasn't been cooperating. :-( Here are a couple of screenshots that I took from a couple of unboxing videos. Note that while there is underneath storage, it is by no means watertight. You can see from the screenshot that the top of the backside of the griddle is wide open from side to side. I'm just going to be using mine to store the deep fat fryer components.

Name:	storage.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	51.1 KB
ID:	822849

Comment

• xaugievike
                xaugievike commented
                Editing a comment
                Thank you! Wish that backside wasn't so open.....

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                Same, though I have ample storage in my pit area already so it doesn't much bother me.

I'm so glad you got that griddle in the midst of this crisis, pkadare . There's nothing like a new toy for a fun distraction, and you seem to have started it out right. Continue to have a good time with it.

I'm inching closer to purchasing a Steelmade griddle for use on my Summit gasser or Camp Chef patio gas range. The rationalization is hard, since I don't eat breakfast (coffee is enough for me) and my hubby is a bagel/fruit/coffee sort of guy. I'd only make breakfasts on it when the kids come to visit, which isn't any time soon. The Grill Grates, flipped over, work fine for my smashburgers, etc. So it would be just something else to try to keep clean in an outdoor environment. My only solid rationalization is that I just want to play with one.

That's why I'm watching you enjoy your new Blackstone--maybe I'll land on another good rationalization.

Kathryn

Comment

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                jfmorris , I did consider the Camp Chef large griddle, but I went with the SteelMade product for the gasser, since the heat distribution is more uniform.

I'm still working on a way to contain the splatters from my Camp Chef gas range, since I cook on the deck. A griddle in a gasser has plenty of surrounding surfaces to catch those splatters.

Kathryn
                Last edited by fzxdoc; June 10, 2020, 05:33 AM.

• jfmorris
                jfmorris commented
                Editing a comment
                Good points Kathryn. How is the Steelmade working, or do you have it yet? I griddled on two of those griddle panels a couple of weeks ago, on my Genesis and there was grease all out of the grill on the side table at that end and front control panel. With no lip at all it would be a real mess.

• fzxdoc
                fzxdoc commented
                Editing a comment
                The SteelMade has holes in front and a drip pan that attaches to the gasser's grates underneath. Haven't used it yet--we've been gone--but hope to soon.

Kathryn

So my Blackstone adventure continues. The Rangetop Combo that I purchased is a Walmart exclusive which I knew going into this. What I didn't know (but still wouldn't have affected my purchase decision) was that unlike Walmart US, Walmart Canada apparently does not carry the Blackstone cover that is made for this unit. I almost went ahead and ordered a really big, generic gas grill cover, but decided at the last minute to go a different route. I signed up for MyUS which provides me with a US shipping address (in Sarasota, FL) and ordered the cover from the Walmart US site. Free next day shipping and when it arrives at MyUS they will notify me and then I fill out a shipping request on their site, and they send it to me. A little convoluted, but since I currently don't have the griddle under cover at all, a necessity. :-)

Comment

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                This whole process is going smoothly, perhaps too smoothly? :-) I placed the Walmart order on Wednesday, the cover was delivered to the MyUS site in Sarasota yesterday, it has already been transferred to FedEX and the estimated delivery date to Bobcaygeon is Monday. Easey, peasey. I'll definitely keep this service in mind for the rare occasions that I want to order something from the US that I can't get in the Great White North and that the vendor can't or won't ship here.
                Last edited by pkadare; April 3, 2020, 02:46 AM.

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                And FedEx just delivered the cover. That was an awesome shopping experience for something that I simply could not get in Canada.

And I just got permission to order one of these. :-) 60" deep, 96" wide, and 105" tall. Should do the trick. :-)

Name:	bbqgazebo.jpg
Views:	223
Size:	24.9 KB
ID:	824035

Comment

• SmokingSteve
                SmokingSteve commented
                Editing a comment
                Where did you find that? How much $? I need something to keep the sun off when grilling & smoking in the AZ sun.

• pkadare
                pkadare commented
                Editing a comment
                SmokingSteve I found this at Waiyfair.ca for $192 CDN. They carry it at Wayfair.com as well and it is currently 35% off for $122.99 USD. https://www.wayfair.com/outdoor/pdp/...001376425.html

• Huskee
                Huskee commented
                Editing a comment
                Order two and send me one! I want one of these. I need a covered BBQ area.

My buddy just had his Blackstone stolen. He hadn't even used it yet. He had it locked up but they used bolt cutters.

Comment

• klflowers
                klflowers commented
                Editing a comment
                That is messed up

• surfdog
                surfdog commented
                Editing a comment
                It takes a special kind of dirtbag to do that. SMH

• Attjack
                Attjack commented
                Editing a comment
                They took the propane tank too.

Announcement

Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X
            false
            ["pitmaster-my-membership","login","join-pitmaster","lostpw","reset-password","special-offers","help","nojs","meat-ups","gifts","authaau-alpha","ebooklogin-start","alpha","start"]
            false
            false
            {"count":0,"link":"/forum/announcements/","debug":""}
            Yes
            ["\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1157845-paid-members-download-your-6-deep-dive-guide-ebooks-for-free-here","\/forum\/the-pitcast","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2019-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2020-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2021-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/bbq-news-magazine-2022-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2023-issues","\/forum\/national-barbecue-news-magazine\/national-barbecue-news-magazine-aa\/current-2024-issues","\/forum\/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads\/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here"]
            /forum/free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-downloads/1165909-trial-members-download-your-free-deep-dive-guide-ebook-here